RMweb

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

We will probably watch some Rugby tonight.  I wonder what painkiller HH will be using, Penderyn perhaps. Do they make spoons from oak barrels. 

Jamie

I have already converted my woodworking shed into a wooden spoon factory.  We will run a couple of special edition versions off this evening, and then go into full production tomorrow morning.

I have gone into that transcendental phase beyond pain and I'm currently channelling my inner spirit into the method of eating the giant hot cross bun I purchased earlier this morning.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

You know when you give up on the last 10 minutes and go to get ready for work

Suddenly you miss 14 points

Who'd have thought

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

I have been in the garage, not tidying this time but making some mess. During lockdown I bodged (more than usual) a link from the the non scenic part of my double track roundy roundy OO layout to the fiddle yard storage tracks. Previously it only had one entrance/exit. It was so bad very few locos or rolling stock could cross it. Now I have more room in the garage after all the tidying I ripped up the track and made some new inclines and relayed some track today. I think it might work now. I haven’t reconnected power yet but coaches can be pushed along without derailing. 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, SM42 said:

You know when you give up on the last 10 minutes and go to get ready for work

Suddenly you miss 14 points

Who'd have thought

Andy

A friend told me she had seen her husband walking about with a couple of small radios listening to sports commentaries to avoid missing stuff when getting ready to depart anywhere. 

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have already converted my woodworking shed into a wooden spoon factory.  We will run a couple of special edition versions off this evening, and then go into full production tomorrow morning.

I have gone into that transcendental phase beyond pain and I'm currently channelling my inner spirit into the method of eating the giant hot cross bun I purchased earlier this morning.

Is that for when your grinding your teeth you have something soft between them.

• Funny 8

18 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

What not even a six foot tall, Poluka one that answers to the name of Harvey?

I'm most disappointed Andy.

Nope, Not even one of those. 

Andy

• Like 4

On 11/03/2024 at 18:19, Northmoor said:

My career has been a roughly 50/50 split between private/public sector.  From what I have seen in terms of getting rid of the incompetent:

• The private sector is more likely to sack the person* regardless of the law and run the risk of being sued (knowing that most can't afford to);
  • The public sector is less likely to sack the person because middle managers don't know their job and employment law well enough, at least not as well as the Union Rep.  If they did, in most cases the Union would do very little to defend their affected member.  It's not that Unions are strong, it's that managers are weak.

I think it was @br2975 who wrote on here about the PF supporting officers who they privately accepted should have been thrown out of the service, but who knew the law better than senior police officers.

*I once came very close to being that person....

In my case this came about because the basic training  ( in relation to attendance and performance issues ) provided to myself and colleagues (as a 'reps') by the PF outweighed that provided by my force to its supervisors and managers.

Hence I told my Chief Constable I had no doubt I had kept failing officers in the job, due to the failings of the force, not to any superiority on my part.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, br2975 said:

In my case this came about because the basic training  ( in relation to attendance and performance issues ) provided to myself and colleagues (as a 'reps') by the PF outweighed that provided by my force to its supervisors and managers.

Hence I told my Chief Constable I had no doubt I had kept failing officers in the job, due to the failings of the force, not to any superiority on my part.

Are you back from your trip to sunnier and beerier climes?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Played trains today.

So did I for a few minutes. I soldered a wire to the track to make it live after an electrofrog  point and sent a loco up the now less steep incline. The incline is steep but a 4 6 0 and tender coped that didn’t before. 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Much better than the rugby🤣

Many sports are better than rugby. F'rinstance at school I played hockey instead.  The rugby teams were populated by the mindless thugs and bullies of the school while with hockey you at least had the means of instant retaliation in your hands...

Sadly, the one "sport" that completely unavoidable was cross country running, which was the Spring term misery replacement for indoors PE.  Effin b@stards.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I’ve now almost finished refurbishing my cellar. Once the woodwork has been painted I’ll have a model railway room. Apart from the plastering, I’ve done all the work myself. Throughout the refurb I’ve kept a note of all big spends and it’s taken me about 5 years on and off, but it’s all come in at under £2500. However, in that 5 year period, I’ve also done a lot of work in the garden and workshop too.

Here’s a couple of photos I took today.

The first one is stood beside the French doors looking into the room.

IMG_20240316_120554_Original.jpeg.5a3e49ce46e97905cc2db6bac1dd7dc4.jpeg

This one is looking towards the French doors, excuse the pile of spare flooring, I’ve not found a home for it yet.

IMG_20240316_123739_Original.jpeg.ed6fa8e8d2aaef4e3a9b86906ae42d04.jpeg

The room is approximately 11ft 3in by 15ft 6ft, so not a bad space at all really. 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 6

2 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

I’ve now almost finished refurbishing my cellar. Once the woodwork has been painted I’ll have a model railway room. Apart from the plastering, I’ve done all the work myself. Throughout the refurb I’ve kept a note of all big spends and it’s taken me about 5 years on and off, but it’s all come in at under £2500. However, in that 5 year period, I’ve also done a lot of work in the garden and workshop too.

This one is looking towards the French doors, excuse the pile of spare flooring, I’ve not found a home for it yet.

The room is approximately 11ft 3in by 15ft 6ft, so not a bad space at all really. 

That's excellent. Well done you.

May I ask if you have access from the house or is it via the garden/french doors?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Much better than the rugby🤣

NRL  last night -  New Zealand Warriors VS Melbourne Storm, 25 seconds left on the clock, Melbourne trailing by 2 when this happened.

• Like 10

45 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

NRL  last night -  New Zealand Warriors VS Melbourne Storm, 25 seconds left on the clock, Melbourne trailing by 2 when this happened.

Is that good or bad?

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

My wife was somewhat upset this afternoon.  We came home and there was a dead squirrel in the road. She was sure that it was her favourite little red  that patronises the bird feeder and it was. I finally took it off to a wild area nearby.

Little else of consequence.

***see correction below***

Edited by BR60103
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

Excellent - and larger than Bear's muddin' room (Jealous?  Moi?); may Bear suggest one of these, or similar - Patio Doors are not renowned for their security:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Patlock-Instant-French-Conservatory-Security/dp/B00K1YCAV2?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A3PHDSW7154N04

4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

My wife was somewhat upset this afternoon.  We came home and there was a dead squirrel in the road. She was sure that it was her favourite little red  that patronises the bird feeder and it was. I finally took it off to a wild area nearby.

Little else of consequence.

Community Shop volunteers came to work on Friday to discover this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-68584948

Just what sort of sick B'sterd does such a thing?

🤬

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

24 minutes ago, polybear said:

Community Shop volunteers came to work on Friday to discover this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-68584948

Just what sort of sick B'sterd does such a thing?

🤬

The kind of sick b*sterd who then goes on to do it to people.

FBI interviews with and profiles of serial killers they have arrested and convicted have revealed that every serial killer started their "career" by performing acts of cruelty on animals.

Even if identified and caught, I doubt if the perpetrators will get more than a desultory sentence. Violent crime against and abuse of animals is rarely punished severely (as anyone watching The Dog Rescuers will know).

• Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

We watched the rugby and enjoyed the match.  We will no doubt get some stick from Pascal in the cafe this morning.  I even spent an hour working on my layout yesterday afternoon.  Inspired by Brian's article in the MERG journal, I decided to try and get my turntable working.  10 minutes after getting no response from the motor, and having found my meter, I discovered that the 36 way lead from the panel to the shed area, wasn't plugged in.  After that was corrected I did eventually get the table rotating but not very reliably.  It's a Metalsmith one witbelt drive rounds a large mdf disc.  I suspect the the belt is a little slack.  I wil have to cut it and rejoin it. 

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

It's a Metalsmith one witbelt drive rounds a large mdf disc.  I suspect the the belt is a little slack.  I wil have to cut it and rejoin it. 

Jamie

Rather than messing around with cutting and rejoining the belt, why not add a small  tensioned roller to the outer face of the belt? You  can then adjust it  as required

• Like 4
  • Agree 9