Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Hopefully he had a long and "very productive" time at Colchester before being booted out.....

There are two sides to Colchester Military Corrective Training Centre.

The first is for those offenders who will remain in the Army, and who are subjected to military training, which keeps them up to speed on military skills, but also improves on that training, so a bad boy who knuckles down will come out of Colchester more than qualified for promotion.  I have known a few soldiers whose advancement was much more rapid after they had returned from the delights of the MCTC.

The other side are those who will be discharged after their time at MCTC They get training appropriate suitably geared to going back into civilian life, including qualifying them for employment.

MCTC is subject to inspections by  HM Inspector of Prisons and Ofsted and there are very set procedures for inmates and the staff.

(At the last inspection there were only 33 inmates.  The maximum capacity is 323.)

So the productive time PB wishes for is very much dictated to by the edicts of the civilian authorities and not WO1 Savage, Sgt Sadist, and Cpl Brutal.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

So the productive time PB wishes for is very much dictated to by the edicts of the civilian authorities and not WO1 Savage, Sgt Sadist, and Cpl Brutal.

Spoilsports....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

There are two sides to Colchester Military Corrective Training Centre.

The first is for those offenders who will remain in the Army, and who are subjected to military training, which keeps them up to speed on military skills, but also improves on that training, so a bad boy who knuckles down will come out of Colchester more than qualified for promotion.  I have known a few soldiers whose advancement was much more rapid after they had returned from the delights of the MCTC.

The other side are those who will be discharged after their time at MCTC They get training appropriate suitably geared to going back into civilian life, including qualifying them for employment.

MCTC is subject to inspections by  HM Inspector of Prisons and Ofsted and there are very set procedures for inmates and the staff.

(At the last inspection there were only 33 inmates.  The maximum capacity is 323.)

Sgt JC Smith,  station discipline Sgt at RAF Boulmer was sent to Colchester military prison... He was rejected because he was too mean to the prisoners.. So They then sent him the RAF Neatishead.. Where he was banned from any building except station headquarters and the Sgts Mess unless accompanied by the Station commander, as a danger to personnel !! He crept up behind someone standing working on high voltage equipment with as is required one hand in their pocket. Then he shouted the the technician!!!!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 11
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

I've just watched an old movie on YouTube that TheQ might find amusing, re the history of radar.  It was Radar Secret Service, a b/w B movie from 1950, about the use of radar in crime detection.  I never knew it was so far developed then that it could produce a TV quality image from a vehicle mounted set!  Not to mention Uranium 238 being transported in an ordinary van.

• Like 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Not to mention Uranium 238 being transported in an ordinary van.

I am sure if it was in a wooden box it would be ok. 
One of the chemistry lecturers who taught me had worked in some sort of military research in WW2. He had to transport flasks of fluorine from one site in London to another. Fluorine is very reactive and after one handling mishap the vehicle, a London Taxi,  he was transporting the flasks in was burned out. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

38 minutes ago, petethemole said:

I've just watched an old movie on YouTube that TheQ might find amusing, re the history of radar.  It was Radar Secret Service, a b/w B movie from 1950, about the use of radar in crime detection.  I never knew it was so far developed then that it could produce a TV quality image from a vehicle mounted set!  Not to mention Uranium 238 being transported in an ordinary van.

Unless you ingest or inhale it, 238 is pretty harmless. It does emit alpha particles but a sheet of paper will stop them 😄

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

35 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I just saw a post where the owner of a couple of Scottish golf courses was referred to as "Comb Over Caligula".

I thought he was selling them to pay the fine NYC imposed on him.

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

28 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Unless you ingest or inhale it, 238 is pretty harmless. It does emit alpha particles but a sheet of paper will stop them 😄

Well that's alright then I'll just hold my breath while I mop out the inside of the taxi.

• Funny 9

1 hour ago, petethemole said:

It was just in case the Soviets were watching. Make them think we were so far ahead of the technically that they would just give up.

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Hence my mention of a wooden box!

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, AndyID said:

Not doubting that but just as an interesting fact, the indigenous Jawoyn people who live in the Northern Territory in a region that is home to at least  one large uranium deposit have always called it "Sickness Country" and have avoided the area for thousands of years.

One of their dreamtime stories of the region  refers to Bula – The Creator:

"Bula finally went under the ground at a few locations North of Katherine in an area known to us as “Sickness Country”. It is called this because the area is very dangerous and should not be disturbed for fear that earthquakes and fire will destroy the world."

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I thought he was selling them to pay the fine NYC imposed on him

Not yet. He signed a deal with Chubb Insurance to post a bond on his behalf for (about) $100M to cover the civil defamation judgement against the nice lady he has been found to have assaulted sexually and then said to be a liar when she complained. New York State law has met people like him and you have to post a bond for 110-120% of the full amount to cover the judgement + the 9% simple interest that is due whilst you appeal. He'll presumably do the same for the approximately $450M fraud-case fine (some of which may be going to Deutche Bank as restitution) that comes due in a few days. When/if the appeals fail or the judgements are reduced, he gets to pay Chubb - or Chubb gets the assets he'll have posted as security. This is so that he can't declare bankruptcy, Rudy Guliani-style, and have the victims get nothing.

Summary: 2-4 more years of posturing and wrangling unless the appeals process is surprisingly fast. He has stopped defaming the nice lady, however, so $89M got his attention whereas the previous £5M didn't.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, BR60103 said:

News: When Dayle went out to hang up the bird feeder this morning, her favourite red squirrel was waiting for her.

I don't know who I buried yesterday.

The stunt double, or perhaps it's the other way around?

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, DenysW said:

Not yet. He signed a deal with Chubb Insurance to post a bond on his behalf for (about) $100M to cover the civil defamation judgement against the nice lady he has been found to have assaulted sexually and then said to be a liar when she complained. New York State law has met people like him and you have to post a bond for 110-120% of the full amount to cover the judgement + the 9% simple interest that is due whilst you appeal. He'll presumably do the same for the approximately $450M fraud-case fine (some of which may be going to Deutche Bank as restitution) that comes due in a few days. When/if the appeals fail or the judgements are reduced, he gets to pay Chubb - or Chubb gets the assets he'll have posted as security. This is so that he can't declare bankruptcy, Rudy Guliani-style, and have the victims get nothing.

Summary: 2-4 more years of posturing and wrangling unless the appeals process is surprisingly fast. He has stopped defaming the nice lady, however, so $89M got his attention whereas the previous £5M didn't.

Are the two current contenders for the next presidential term really the best that can be offered?

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

Are the two current contenders for the next presidential term really the best that can be offered?

It's not who you are, but the size of your war-chest that decides.

• Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Scary, isn't it?

254 million people of voting age (according to Alexa) in the USA and that's the best they can come up with.

• Agree 9

1 minute ago, polybear said:

Scary, isn't it?

254 million people of voting age (according to Alexa) in the USA and that's the best they can come up with.

At least they have two equal candidates to choose between.

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, DenysW said:

He has stopped defaming the nice lady, however, so $89M got his attention whereas the previous £5M didn't.

No, he did it again  in a speech crazed rant in Sth Georgia on the weekend.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

No, he did it again  in a speech crazed rant in Sth Georgia on the weekend.

He's got the attention span of a stunned herring.

I also hear that he predicted that there would be "bloodshed" if he wasn't elected in November. Worrying stuff...

• Agree 10

14 minutes ago, Hroth said:

At least they have two equal candidates to choose between.

I don't know which one is scarier someone who thinks it's 'good' business practice to defraud people or someone who really should be taking a 'step back'.

But having said that there are quite a few others in positions of power who frankly I wouldn't leave in charge of watering the plants.

• Agree 12