Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pH said:

Perhaps in the hope that they wouldn’t be able to find their way back home?

Perhaps the UK should start issuing secretly coded "One use only" Passports - they'll let the scrotes out but not let them board a Plane/Ship/Train to come back again......

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

If you need a break from snake-wrangling, I have it on good authority that one of our resident ursines, a certain @polybear, is really enthusiastic about such reptiles and will happily "snake-sit" for you...

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

....and if you ( @Craigw) also have a terrarium with some tarantulas, orb-spinners, red-backs and the like to look after, @polybear would be ecstatic.

Bear has just started a "Special List".......

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

When I first went out to Singapore I lived for a while in the Officers Mess at Tengah. The rooms in each block had no ceilings as such but shared a common roof space. One of the guys on my Squadron who lived in the same block as me had a pet python that used to wander about and it wasn’t uncommon to find it in your room from time to time. I well remember one Sunday morning waking up after a bit of a heavy Saturday night feeling somewhat under the weather to be met by the sight of a python’s face looking at me quizzically from a few feet away; PB would probably have died on the spot. 

Dave

Unfortunately that "thing" would've had a close encounter with an engine intake during start-up.....

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I thought you might like a few more snaps

IMG_4640.jpeg.379b751afd5e7d43a4bb8e52afa1110e.jpeg

Crates of beer, deep fat fryer for "fried crunchy things" 

Definitely an Imbiss to visit, quality beer and fried crunchy things - what could be better?

IMG_4639.jpeg.6e3b8b792d79ef2299614fd35fa628e8.jpeg

Beer pumps - modelled on those seen in various German Biergarten.

And finally a Prieser O Gauge workman converted into a chef: 

IMG_4662.jpeg.baecdc1dfb121b67a0d63d07d1cf93dd.jpeg

Of course, close up digital photography is a lot crueler than the naked eye. And yet my homemade efforts - though passable - are incredibly crude when compared with what can be produced with a 3D printer.

So now the dilemma I'm facing is which type of 3D printer to get

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Congratulations to Mr & Mrs BR60103. Jill and I have had 25 years of wedded bliss - and have been married for nearly 54 years 😅

Dave

The old jokes ate still the good jokes....

• Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

One of the guys taxiing in a Lightning at Tengah ran over a large python one day and after the aircraft was shut down it was found in the nose wheel bay wrapped around the leg. A smart thinking airman fired a CO2 extinguisher into the bay that chilled the snake and made it groggy so it could be removed. It was then photographed draped across the arms of some of the Squadron personnel. It was fifteen feet long

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

fired a CO2 extinguisher into the bay that chilled the snake and made it groggy

Aditi’s Mum said when she was a child she wasn’t supposed to go in the kitchen by herself or with the other children. One reason was quite often a very large snake would be dozing on top of the stove which was cooling from the day before. Their servants would just chuck a bucket of water over it and it would go away. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SM42 said:

Mrs SM42 has left the building. 

This means I can now don my bucket hat, short shorts, string vest and mirror shades and break out the lawnmower. 

I like to look the cool dude whilst gardening, make the effort to look good and so on. 

Got some bedding plants to put in too. 

Later I may just turn the supply to the outside tap back on and wash the car, or not, or just hose myself down on the drive. 

Andy

There, thats corrected for you.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10

43 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There, thats corrected for you.

If its going to be a string vest, the hat should be a baseball cap, worn back to front...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

Just now, Happy Hippo said:

I thought his name was Andy, not Onslow?

image.png.7a516354587b769600877cf0d0c20899.png

(Not a string vest day)

Flogging my brain to remember "Onslow".

Its too warm, that's what it is....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Flogging my brain to remember "Onslow".

Its too warm, that's what it is....

The TV prog with some posh t@rt called "Bucket" ** in it - he's her BiL (I think), much to her dismay.

**Though she insists it's "Bouquet"

• Agree 11

1 minute ago, polybear said:

The TV prog with some posh t@rt called "Bucket" ** in it - he's her BiL (I think), much to her dismay.

**Though she insists it's "Bouquet"

Onslow and Mr Bucket were the characters I liked most, otherwise it was a "comedy" I avoided.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Onslow and Mr Bucket were the characters I liked most, otherwise it was a "comedy" I avoided.

Surprisingly when he was a teenager Matthew used to like that TV programme. It wasn’t really like anything else he liked.  He said it was educational as helped him understand English behaviour. I think he thought it was what other families were like. 

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)

I've never really been one to watch much television, most of it is either puerile, boring, moronic or unfunny (sometimes all at the same time).

i've never seen the point of either soap operas or sitcoms – but having said that there were two programs from the US that were incredibly well written and worth watching: St Elsewhere and Hill Street blues. On the British side, the various Blackadder series were always worth watching (was Blackadder a sitcom or a pure comedy programme???).

I think Britain has been fortunate in having some really great comedy programs – although some of them went on a bit far too long losing in the process their original spark, lustre and freshness.

As of late, I have been watching some incredibly lightweight entertainment to relax by: basically Midsomer Murders, Father Brown and the Sister Boniface mysteries.  However, these two have been ruined by outside interference (the TV execs and producers) imposing one sort or another of cultural agenda on the programs. Take Father Brown for example: it hasn't been the same since the actress playing Mrs McCarthy retired and was replaced by some gobby girl totally wrong for both role and the era the series is set in.

Like for many, Paul O'Grady's sudden death and the loss of his advocacy for all animals, especially dogs, was keenly felt by Mrs ID and myself. So we were pleased to see the production company continue with For The Love of Dogs  only to be utterly appalled by the choice of presenter. Mrs ID is a highly qualified and experienced Dog Trainer and she says everything about the new presenter of For The  Love of Dogs screams "I don't like dogs, I'm not comfortable around dogs and I don't know how to handle dogs" and indeed the presenter herself has said that she is "more  a cat person". Mrs iD now refuses to watch the programme saying that she doesn't like to see the dogs "messed around with". Even I, no expert on dogs, can see the lack of connection between the presenter and the animals - so unlike Paul O'Grady.

So why did the presenter get the gig? According to the Internet, it was because the choice of presenter ticked all the right boxes for the commissioning TV producer. and like it or not, it does seem that as of late a lot of casting and production decisions seem to be based on meeting some self imposed diversity and inclusion target rather than getting the right person with the right skills for the job.

So you get a cat lover to host a show dedicated to dogs! You might as well get @polybear to host a show about Haute Cuisine....

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

5 hours ago, SM42 said:

Fortunately no. 

Couple of weeks yet.

Been in shorts here for at least a month and no, I am not a postman. 

Meanwhile, the skys above SM42 Towers are thick with gulls again. 

Can hardly hear oneself think for all the sqawking. 

I wonder if I can make a noise complaint against the RSPB or Natural England. 

Andy

Unheard of shorts in May what's is the world coming too.

So you've still got a couple of weeks have you. Well that's plenty of time. Leave it to the week before I'm certain they'll be plenty of bargains left. Oops that's Christmas isn't it.

Ps shorts still being worn.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

So you get a cat lover to host a show dedicated to dogs! You might as well get @polybear to host a show about Haute Cuisine....

Is that with Chips??

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

I have spent most of the day either plant wrangling, or emulating Onslow/Andy, and wielding a paint brush.

'Ratcatcher' Phil came around this morning with a boot load of plants for Nyda's plant sale, which it tomorrow.

We had a chat about differing ammunition trajectories, and he was delighted when he departed with four unopened tins of  heavy . 22 pellets.

They are my preferred rat and grey squirrel stoppers, so I'm sure he'll find them useful.

Once 1600 passes, I'll be quite easily persuaded to have a couple of beers.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SM42 said:

Prison sentences tend to be shorter.😁

Andy

And the licences aren't provisionals that expire after a year. 

As to TV, I agree with Hill Street Blues.  Required watching for our shift in South Leeds and the phrase "Let's be careful out there" still lives on.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Upper front fence painted. Waiting for the last panel to dry before slotting back into place. 

Lawn cut

Bedding plants next, but first a couple of pints of water require to be drunk. 

As for TV I'm currently quite enjoying Elementary, a modern take on Sherlock Holmes

Andy

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, SM42 said:

As for TV I'm currently quite enjoying Elementary, a modern take on Sherlock Holmes

Andy

I've watched Elementary, for a few minutes and thought it was utter carp.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4