Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

29 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Couldn’t say for certain, but I imagine so. Are you a member of O Gauge Rail Roading forum? If not it’s worth joining for this sort of question, lots of expertise and experience on offer 

I can't say I am, but i've also heard mutterings on this website about a O gauge (USA?) forum that getting very aggressive towards itself. Not wishing to join such a thing, I haven't looked into the OGRR.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

From the angle of the video it looks as if the power cables into the track are capable of carrying the mains!

Probably what blew our power out earlier this evening............. It made the national press!........  Must have been a slow night for news:laugh_mini:.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

At one of the Platelayer's funeral, one of the requested slections was Crimond.  The version the accompanist found was not the Glasgow Orpheus version and there was no singing along possible.

If asked, my favourite Christmas carol is I'm Dreaming of a Bleak Midwinter.

Had a long walk together today. Did not fall over.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Happy Boxing Day all, ...snip... with cameo made by Fangio the cat.  ...snip...

Douglas

If that were my cat and the train came by, she would be still running! :biggrin_mini:

6 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Couldn’t say for certain, but I imagine so. Are you a member of O Gauge Rail Roading forum? If not it’s worth joining for this sort of question, lots of expertise and experience on offer 

I was going to suggest that to him, you beat me to it. I think a question to GunRunnerJohn might just yield the best results.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

Mrs SM42 came back from a weekend  trip to see her parents and didn't  notice the kitchen was a different colour  for two weeks.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Mrs SM42 came back from a weekend  trip to see her parents and didn't  notice the kitchen was a different colour  for two weeks.

Andy

I replaced the lounge television with a much larger model and Aditi didn’t notice until she went into the front bedroom and found the old one. She had been staying at her Mum’s for a fortnight while her sister was on holiday. 

• Funny 7

To be fair to my beloved, 3 of the kitchen walls only had a subtle colour change. The window wall changed from pale yellow to light green though.  :scratchhead:

Baking is obviously very distracting.

I find testing the results of such activities very distracting too. :dance_mini:

Andy

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Jamie

Hipposhire is only next door. 

I am a little concerned that I may be in the blast radius. :bomb_mini:

Andy 

Taking cover behind the yule log

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Em getting a bit concerned about the Big H, last seen heading in the direction of a jigsaw. 

Anybody heard or seen signs of life from the muddy hollow?

Do we need to scramble the RRS aka Mr Hunt to do a flyby in case there's trouble 't mill?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

11 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Em getting a bit concerned about the Big H, last seen heading in the direction of a jigsaw. 

Anybody heard or seen signs of life from the muddy hollow?

Do we need to scramble the RRS aka Mr Hunt to do a flyby in case there's trouble 't mill?

I've got the radio tuned to channel 6 just in case a call for an emergency extraction (of a corner piece perhaps) comes in.

If you can hear us Big H, go to location Delta 5

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Funny 3

1 minute ago, SM42 said:

I've got the radio tuned to channel 6 just in case a call for an emergency extraction comes in.

If you can hear us Big H, go to location Delta 5

Andy

Thinking about it. Was it a jig saw or a jigsaw. If it was a jig saw then he may be to engrossed but if it was a jigsaw then we may be looking at Hippocide.

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just now, Winslow Boy said:

Thinking about it. Was it a jig saw or a jigsaw. If it was a jig saw then he may be to engrossed but if it was a jigsaw then we may be looking at Hippocide.

I'll bet she noticed if he finished it.

Jig saws; feindish devices that draw you in and then your hooked.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

None standard sized coffin. Don't know what the grave diggers would say.

I have a mental image of burial at muddy hollow.

Hippo slipping slowly beneath the surface bow first.  Bit like that scene in Titanic.

Andy

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon's excitement is going and potting up the Apricot tree that arrived Christmas eve.

I made a batch of  seeded bread rolls this morning, so I was able to enjoy a few of them for lunch with cold turkey and cranberry sauce.

This afternoon's tasking is to eat up the custard and clotted cream that we got to eat with the two mini Christmas puddings.

Overindulgence has not been a feature this year.  I still have all my cider and have not opened the Penderyn yet.  Nor the Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

I didn't get in any special cheese either, not any dry roasted nuts.

Fortunately they've not really been missed.

After the Apricot planting, I may indulge in a little bit of rivet pressing out on a GWR ballast wagon kit I 'found' in the workshop.  Or I could make some more progress on one of the Toad brakevans I should be finishing off.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

They go to cake heaven where, when not eating, they have to wallow in Penderyn.

I saw an advert for Penderyn Cream and assumed it was a custard for serving with cakes. 

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

nuts.

I don’t really like nuts but Aditi does. I think she has a few small packs of snack type nuts and probably catering quantities of cashew nuts in the freezer dating from when we last saw MiL who had asked her cleaner to get her some cashews and bought rather a lot from a market. Anyway one of the things we didn’t get delivered was lettuce. Aditi thought never mind, she wouid make a Waldorf Salad. However there were only two walnuts. I did enquire what had happened to all the others, apparently she had eaten them. Midnight snack food it would seem.  

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

Morning,

I decided to cook “Shaksuka” for breakfast after seeing it in James May’s cookbook, which I was graciously gifted for Christmas.  It is a African breakfast of Tunisian origin, but is most closely associated in the modern world with Israel. 

9C45C6B8-82D5-413C-92B1-B14D8EDB5EA1.jpeg.8f133416cc1fb7094053192e4b45844b.jpeg

Douglas

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I seriously considered buying some Panettone, but in all honesty, we're stuffed out at the moment.  Sausage (chipolatas) with the mushrooms that need cooking off will sort out tea for tonight, followed by some brandy infused Christmas cake.  Some internal woodwork ensued today. We have a large hall mirror which currently resides behind the sofa.  "I must put that up sometime..."  In fairness, it's only taken 3 years....   The shelf brackets underneath the mirror is-are slightly too narrow, so some front face pockets were chiselled out, and blended in. I'm trying to get this in before Mrs Smith's birthday, ( January 1st )  but I don't want to rush the quality of fit.  We'll see.  

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

From the angle of the video it looks as if the power cables into the track are capable of carrying the mains!

Probably what blew our power out earlier this evening............. It made the national press!........  Must have been a slow night for news:laugh_mini:.

Bear recalls a Train Set on Antiques Roadshow.....the locos ran on 240vac......

Just don't touch the rails.....:o

6 hours ago, SM42 said:

Andy

And you were left thinking "why did I bother?".....

• Like 4
  • Funny 3