Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I've just been asked if I'm going to be ready to eat in 15 minutes.

What temperature and how long have you been in the oven

Andy

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 5

37 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm browning nicely.

With some adept carving there should be enough for several main meals with with enough left over for a finger food buffet

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7

26 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

With some adept carving there should be enough for several main meals with with enough left over for a finger food buffet

One must ask, fingers alone or including thumbs and toes?

• Funny 8

I've just spent 15 minutes ferreting through my stock cupboard of shame. 

For reasons lost in the mists of time I seem to have several Lima 117 centre cars but not enough driving ends to go with them. 

What was I thinking ?. 

J also found another box of wagon kits. Yikes.

In other news I've just been handed a large slice of birthday cake. 

Gotta go. 

Andy

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 9

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The large parasol in our front garden has been blown onto the hedge. We don't actually own a large parasol though.......

it's really quite windy.

Dave 

Well you do now. Finders keepers and all that.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Drat beaten to it by the Bear.
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

54 minutes ago, SM42 said:

For reasons lost in the mists of time I seem to have several Lima 117 centre cars but not enough driving ends to go with them. 

What was I thinking ?. 

Gotta go. 

Andy

You can go off people you know.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SM42 said:

We're on recycling week. 

They can't take broken glass.  The sorting machine doesn't like it.

So what do they do with the bottles. 

Tip em in the back and compact it with all the other paper, metal l and plastic.

Andy

This is why I walk all our broken glass to the bottle bank at the end of the road.  One broken bottle in your bin contaminates the whole load, diverting it to landfill.  I can't understand why roadside collection still accepts glass, for this reason.  Mind you, I still can't understand why so many adults think it's OK to leave litter everywhere, something that has definitely got worse in the last few years, it's like people have just stopped caring.

Moan over (for now).

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Well have a guess what happened at the Manchester Marathon on Sunday. A driver decided that although the road was closed to traffic he would still use it. This was despite runners, spectators and stewards all being in his way. Can you guess what type of car he was in. Go on you can. Yes it was a BMW and his excuse he got fed up. GMP attended the scene. What was I saying about the standard of driving.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

What was I thinking ?. 

Gotta go. 

Andy

Look at it this way, you have the excitement of finding a model(s) you forgot you had, or hadn't seen in a long time, for a cost of nothing.  There are people currently surfing model shop websites to get the same endorphins and spending money to do it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

What was I thinking ?. 

I recently went through my cupboard of shame and although I did remember acquiring most of the stuff in there I had absolutely no recollection of where a complete etched brass locomotive kit, an etched brass parcels van kit and two plastic wagon kits in a polythene bag came from. It would seem that Polish Andy and I share some sort of defective gene.

Dave   

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

This is why I walk all our broken glass to the bottle bank at the end of the road. 

Lucky you to have a bottle bank nearby. All the bottle banks near us disappeared after the multi-bin collections started years ago and the nearest ones now are twelve miles away at a recycling facility - and it has just been announced that will soon close due to council budget cutbacks, leaving the nearest one being twenty miles.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Well have a guess what happened at the Manchester Marathon on Sunday. A driver decided that although the road was closed to traffic he would still use it. This was despite runners, spectators and stewards all being in his way. Can you guess what type of car he was in. Go on you can. Yes it was a BMW and his excuse he got fed up. GMP attended the scene. What was I saying about the standard of driving.

We saw something similar while waiting for the Copenhagen Iron Man cyclists to pass. Someone in a van decided to jump the queue and managed to knock over a parcel. The driver tried shouting at the policemen who was controlling the traffic to let him through . The shouting was in English. The police officer gave very clear instructions about getting out of the vehicle.  When we next saw the van driver as we passed where he had been taken he was up against the side of a police van getting what looked like a thorough search. He must have been crazy to attempt what he did .

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 5

3 hours ago, SM42 said:

We're on recycling week. 

They can't take broken glass.  The sorting machine doesn't like it.

So what do they do with the bottles. 

Tip em in the back and compact it with all the other paper, metal l and plastic.

Andy

We have a glass pickup once a month. We once put a broken glass vase in the glass bin and had it returned with a note saying whole bottles and jars only - no broken glass. So how do they ‘process’ the items in the glass bin? - tip the bin into the back of a pickup truck, already containing the glass collected from previous houses on the route. Maybe they thought we were trying to take their jobs?

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, pH said:

We once put a broken glass vase in the glass bin and had it returned with a note saying whole bottles and jars only - no broken glass. So how do they ‘process’ the items in the glass bin? - tip the bin into the back of a pickup truck, already containing the glass collected from previous houses on the route. 

Exactly what I wonder. Our glass, metal and plastic recycling bins are put onto a hoist at the back of the lorry that lifts them up then tips the contents into the hopper with much crashing and banging. Ergo a lot of the glass must get broken but we are warned not to put broken glass in the bin. Why?

Dave

• Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Exactly what I wonder. Our glass, metal and plastic recycling bins are put onto a hoist at the back of the lorry that lifts them up then tips the contents into the hopper with much crashing and banging. Ergo a lot of the glass must get broken but we are warned not to put broken glass in the bin. Why?

Dave

I believe the same logic is occasionally applied on Death Row in America, in the instances where executions have been delayed as the condemned person was ill and they were waiting for them to recover.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 5

Paper, metal, glass plastic all in one bin here. 

Can't put tin foil in, cos it's flat and may get mistaken for paper by the sorting machine.

Why you can't roll it onto a ball who knows. 

Can't take black plastic nor a whole range of plastic items either even if they are made of the plastic they do take in other forms.

After it all gets compacted together in the waste truck ( the same one they use for general waste and garden waste on alternate weeks) I doubt they clean it out) I do wonder how their machine copes. 

Can't take plastic films though. 

Now in the motherland, if its plastic, they take it, cling film, plastic films the lot, any colour and any plastic

Andy

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

We have a bottle collection which uses a dedicated truck and you can hear the bottles and jars breaking as they drop it into the truck. However they won't take other forms of glass such as window glass. It's possible that broken glass is banned on H&S grounds.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

We have a bottle collection which uses a dedicated truck and you can hear the bottles and jars breaking as they drop it into the truck. However they won't take other forms of glass such as window glass. It's possible that broken glass is banned on H&S grounds.

That's because glass sheets are made of float glass whereas bottles etc. are made from blown glass.  They aren't chemically identical.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

I was once told by an environmentalist that plastic bottles and card 'tetrapak' type packaging for liquids should be banned and replaced by glass bottles as glass is biodegradable. She started screaming at me as I asked if she'd ever watched stuff like time team or visited a museum and saw the ancient glass ware they discover after hundreds of years in the ground? og yes. OK, it's a good job it was biodegradable. I also remember the quite splendid energy supply contracts we had when I worked in electricity for glass works, it's a pretty energy intensive process to make glass.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Beth would never ask me that question, she knows that the answer would be yes regardless of the time period specified.  I usually have a wry smile to myself when people say they are 'off their food'.  That's not something that I can identify with. 

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 3