Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

53 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

At the time of Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee one railway company turned a locomotive out in a similar colour only lighter. Another company painted a locomotive white, as it was a steam locomotive it didn't stay white for long.

No pearl-clutching  and attack of the vapours here when we see a purple loco.  Victorians  love them, for example the Y class  

20180111-IMG_7542.jpg.f96806c55d6e379577f15973a8b2cad0.jpg

and N class

image.png.1b11cdc72aa564c40f640bd9735559b2.png

And the Commonwealth Railways had  a few, like this Streamliner.

67948423_571278293407444_50595921632690176_n-630x405.jpg.fa0cede082c0ad926e2d7be411c1c0f9.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Wasn’t one of the early British Railways express liveries a rather purple shade of blue. I quite like the express blue they had for a while, specially on Great Western locos. I have a few steam loco models released in that livery though I think some only became blue in preservation. . 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

It's only paint!  Doesn't improve, or reduce, eficiency or make locomotives faster or more powerful. Unfortunately it is what we see and it diverts us from the the real engineering beauty underneath.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Probably pulled over and admonished for the feeble attempt, look what we can fit into a Ford Fairmont.

image.png.94735dea32a0414057ad936ba46c9d43.png

I'd hate like to see what would happen if he met a speeding truck coming the other way. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pH said:

About separation of passing vehicles from cyclists.

I worked in Cambridge for some years and a work colleague cycled to work on busy city streets. (Obviously, a common method of commuting in that city.) He had a flag on a springy rod attached horizontally to his bike frame. It was about 18 inches long. However, its ‘effective’ length was greater than that. Motorists gave him a wide berth from fear of getting their nice cars scratched! 

When I was still a schoolboy (approx. 63 years ago) my dad had a minibus. He'd parked it in a designated roadside parking bay to go into a shop. While he was in the shop a cyclist rode by with his tyre pump strapped to the rear carrier. The tyre pump had come open and the pump handle was sticking out of the left hand side and scraped down the side of the minibus. I was sitting in the minibus with my sister and heard the scraping noise so the cyclist must have heard it as well. When our father came out of the shop we told him what had happened and he was of course livid. We drove off and we spotted the cyclist about a mile down the road with the pump handle still sticking out and my dad pulled him over. He even tried to deny causing the damage until my dad pointed out that my sister and myself had witnessed the incident. He got the cyclists name and address but I doubt that it went to the insurance company. My dad was able to T-cut the scratch out but you could still see it if you knew where to look.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The other way to easily put 3rd party cycling insurance into place would be to make cyclists who are also motorists declare this on an insurance application.  this would then extend your vehicle insurance to cover you when riding a cycle.  (The insurance company would probably charge an admin fee, but in all honesty, you can't ride a cycle and drive a car at the same time, so the one policy ought to cover you at no extra cost.)

Sorry my dear Hippo much as I agree with this eminently sensible suggestion I cant see the insurance bonks passing up such an easy way of screwing motorists out of some more of there hard earned mullah.

I can see the picture. Two heads of insurance companies having a chat. First one says- so what do you think of this new requirement to include cycling on an insurers cover. Second one - what a splendid idea. First one replies - oh you think so do you. I thought it was just the politicos wasting our time. Second one says- oh God heavens no just look at the revenue generating potential. It's change to the policy (makes sound of till closing), it's new policies ( makes sound of till again) it's .........- you can gues the rest.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ian@stenochs said:

It's only paint!  Doesn't improve, or reduce, eficiency or make locomotives faster or more powerful. Unfortunately it is what we see and it diverts us from the the real engineering beauty underneath.

I quite agree Ian; when I was writing the Midland Engines and LMS Locomotive Profile books I used to find doing the livery sections a bit tedious but judging by the correspondence I got concerning them it would seem that there are a lot of people out there who find the minutiae of colour schemes and decoration very important indeed. Hence it paid to get it right if only to avoid the wrath of the minutiae spotters.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 14

Returning to liveries, for much of history items dyed (or coloured) purple were considered as the province of Emperors, Kings and the über-wealthy (the original Tyrian purple was made from snail mucus - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_purple#:~:text=Tyrian purple is a pigment,with the fall of Constantinople.)

Of course, not every purple is made equal. Wiki lists 26 different types (not including web colours). Of all of them, Tyrian purple and Royal Purple would, I think, make for the best locomotive/EMU/DEMU colour.

I can see the Japanese coming up with a Joyful Train” (楽しい列車) [tourist or luxury train]) in Tyrian Purple with plush Sapphire Blue upholstery, set off by wood fittings crafted from local woods by master craftsmen.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I quite agree Ian; when I was writing the Midland Engines and LMS Locomotive Profile books I used to find doing the livery sections a bit tedious but judging by the correspondence I got concerning them it would seem that there are a lot of people out there who find the minutiae of colour schemes and decoration very important indeed. Hence it paid to get it right if only to avoid the wrath of the minutiae spotters.

Dave

To anyone physically involved in any locomotive preservation scheme, the level of attention devoted to liveries by those NOT involved in that scheme, never stops surprising. 

When I was more actively involved in the AC Locomotive Group and used to host cab visits at Open Weekends, I reckon 80% of questions from enthusiasts were either, "When's it going main line?" or "What livery's it going to be next?".  Questions from ordinary members of the public were notably more sensible.

There have been multiple instances of appeals to preserve a particular example of a diesel class because it was in a unique livery, even when that example has one or more of: cabs stripped of wiring, scrap tyres, a flashed-over generator or minor fire damage.  There have also been some despicable cases of personal abuse - from those objecting to some minor aspect of a livery's application - directed to loco owners who have paid for that repaint entirely out of their own pocket.

I love this hobby but can't deny it does seem to provide a home for some serious obsessives.

• Like 6
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

I can't get wound up over liveries.

The fleet for Pantmawr North consists of unlined black steam locos and green diesels.  

The only exception is the ex GWR Railcar which is finished in Carmine and Cream.

I do have a solitary 41xx Prairie tank in plain green, although I do have the lining set to add should I wish, and the only other planned green steam loco will be 6690 when Minerva deliver my pair sometime in the future.  Both classes of loco do have a place in the S Wales picture I hope to portray, but just not yet!

I know I have far too many locos for my actual needs, but not half enough for my perceived traffic requirements.  The same can be said for mineral wagons.

However, I believe this is quite commonplace within the model railway community

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

SM42 Towers is slowly drifting back into peace and quiet. 

The final day of birthday celebrations is drawing to a close. 

We ent out with friends for a pub lunch, followed by nibbles, drinks and cake at the Towers. 

Guest included a 4 and a 2 year old. 

The furniture is back where it should be, we are still  finding sticky patches where fruit juice has been dropped,  there are handprints on the TV and we are wondering what other destruction we may happen across. 

Lord knows what the kids did. 

Alcohol helped us through. 

Perhaps we should have given to the kids. 

Andy 

Edited by SM42
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

The only livery issues I have is where there is an obvious historical anomaly, such as GWR and Railfreight Petroleum sector locos running together. 

More subtle things I can let pass. 

If the overall look of the  locos, carriages and wagons looks right together in the context of the layout, it's good enough for me. 

Like HH  definitely have too many locos for needs and probably too many wagons as well. 

Andy

• Like 12

48 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

To anyone physically involved in any locomotive preservation scheme, the level of attention devoted to liveries by those NOT involved in that scheme, never stops surprising. 

When I was more actively involved in the AC Locomotive Group and used to host cab visits at Open Weekends, I reckon 80% of questions from enthusiasts were either, "When's it going main line?" or "What livery's it going to be next?".  Questions from ordinary members of the public were notably more sensible.

There have been multiple instances of appeals to preserve a particular example of a diesel class because it was in a unique livery, even when that example has one or more of: cabs stripped of wiring, scrap tyres, a flashed-over generator or minor fire damage.  There have also been some despicable cases of personal abuse - from those objecting to some minor aspect of a livery's application - directed to loco owners who have paid for that repaint entirely out of their own pocket.

I love this hobby but can't deny it does seem to provide a home for some serious obsessives.

Well think of it this way. If those pendants weren't at the preserved railway open days asking about colour schemes where else would they be. So we the rest of humanity salute you for taking one 'for the team'.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, SM42 said:

SM42 Towers is slowly drifting back into peace and quite. 

The final day of birthday celebrations is drawing to a close. 

We ent out with friends for a pub lunch, followed by nibbles, drinks and cake at the Towers. 

Guest included a 4 and a 2 year old. 

The furniture is back where it should be, we are still  finding sticky patches where fruit juice has been dropped,  there are handprints on the TV and we are wondering what other destruction we may happen across. 

Lord knows what the kids did. 

Alcohol helped us through. 

Perhaps we should have given to the kids. 

Andy 

Never give kids alcohol, they start singing all the rude songs they've learned off their friends!

Some are quite unsuitable for parental ears...

I went to a party where a parent had made some Dandelion and Burdock for the children, but had followed the alcoholic  recipe rather than non-alcoholic one.  After all the partygoers started singing, the drink was quickly withdrawn for the minders!

Edited by Hroth
extra
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8

12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Anyway there is news from the Charente.  A Fatwah has been issued by SWMBO Mk 3.  I'm married to Mk 1.  Young Emily made two polite requests yesterday morning.  The first was for Nana to make some raspberry jam and the second was for Grandpa to have a train that she can play with in August.  I have inspected some items in the shed and it should be renamed the house of horrors.  I discovered a 00  Flying Scotsman in Apple Green then worst of all, a  Brunswick Green Pannier.

Why not turn this around? This layout for SWMBO3 might be interesting at some of the local French shows alongside  your metre gauge layout, of course 'the owner' would have to go as well. But, in you making your case to go to these shows to SWMBO1, you explain that how Emily wants to show her layout, so you have to take it and while there is room in the car you can squeeze in your layout alongside.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, polybear said:

We've got the same/similar rule in the UK.  I'd have a lot more sympathy for the cyclist's plight if they made a bit more effort to abide by the law (and had compulsory 3rd party insurance)

Me too

Warning contentious comment alert

We have an issue in Cardiff with "Deliveroo" - "Just East" and any other delivery cyclists.

Very few use the extensive network of cycle lanes ( the creation of which that consequently reduced the carriageway width for motor vehicles ), and none observe the traffic signals, including the cycle specific ones - and they weave in and out of the pedestrian areas, and few if any have lights on their machines .

However, what perturbs me the most, is to watch these dirty, unkempt, scruffy individuals lolling and dossing in doorways that the previous night had been  public toilets for revellers - and then delivering some poor unsuspecting punters MacDonalds in an oversize  greasy back pack that even a Warley-goer wouldn't wear !

Edited by br2975
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Well think of it this way. If those pendants weren't at the preserved railway open days asking about colour schemes where else would they be. 

Hanging round peoples’ necks?

Dave

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 12

9 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Imagine - delivering McDonalds to innocent citizens. How downright evil can some people get?

Dave

People who order from McDonalds get what they deserve...

• Agree 5
  • Funny 7

49 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Hanging round peoples’ necks?

Dave

Well that's very generous of you Squadron Leader but I'd speak to your consultant about putting your back under such strain so soon after your operation. If your consultant is prepared to sign off on the insurance waiver I'm certain that we can arrange to have a pedant fitted once the Hippo has sorted out a method of attachment. So there you have it Britain's Armed Forces coming to the rescue of preserved railways wherever they are.

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

5 hours ago, SM42 said:

The only livery issues I have is where there is an obvious historical anomaly, such as GWR and Railfreight Petroleum sector locos running together.  ...snip...

Andy

OK:

IMG_20170903_221434.jpg.9db70645e0120cb6eae3d71831d7300f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, br2975 said:

Very few use the extensive network of cycle lanes ( the creation of which that consequently reduced the carriageway width for motor vehicles )

Agreed - there's one such lane over the top of a certain Bridge a few hundred yards away from the Hospice Warehouse; it was installed at great expense and has reduced the lanes going into town from two to one (it was effectively a dual carriageway).  There's a "central reservation" and a very high kerb separating the cycle lane from the traffic lane.  Oh yes, and half-way up the bridge there's......a Bus Stop.....

Result?  When the bus stops, everything stops....except those on the fuggin' cycleway....

And how many has Bear - or any of the Hospice Drivers seen on this Cycleway?  Diddlysquat.

Yep, Rant.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

11 hours ago, Hroth said:

Never give kids alcohol, they start singing all the rude songs they've learned off their friends!

Indeed.

Opioids are so, so much better. Keeps ‘em nice and quiet.

The Victorians knew a trick or two with their patent medicines for soothing troublesome tiny tots….

• Agree 8
  • Funny 5