Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bears lead, Hippo's follow...

There's little point being second at the trough after a Hippo's been there first :no:

A tactic I learned whilst at RMAS:

'Follow me chaps, I'm right behind you!'

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

In my young days I had a boss of whom it was said, "He always leads from the front - the front of the Mess entrance that is."

Apologies to Bear for not realising that he was usually in the lead.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

Douglas 

We had a sodastream in the 80s you could buy concentrate syrups to make your own pop (soda in the US) you put say a capful of syrup to a bottle that fitted in to the sodastream .Co2 was them pumped in and you had a fizzy drink.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

A tactic I learned whilst at RMAS:

'Follow me chaps, I'm right behind you!'

Obviously descended from the famous Duke of Plaza Toro, who lead his regiment from behind, according to G&S in The Gondeliers. Knowing W SGilbert's reputation, the said duke was probably modelled on a well known general of the day.

We had an Insp who was seen heading in the opposite direction to the troops after an'Officer Requires Assistance call had gone out. His excuse was that he was going to get the cells open. At the end of the shift the officers all turned their back on him and walked away.  He was given a desk job after that.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Obviously descended from the famous Duke of Plaza Toro, who lead hisxregiment from behind, according to G&S in The Gondeliers. Knowing W SGilbert's reputation, thecsaid duke was probably modelled on a well known general of the day.

We had an Insp who was seen heading in thevopposite direction yo the troops after an'Officer Requires Assistance call had gone out. His excuse was that he was going to get the cells open. At the end of the shift the officers all turned their back on him and walked away.  He was given a desk job after that.

Jamie

There is a similar/worse story I was told, surrounding an officer on one of the RN ships sunk in the Falklands campaign.  A survivor swam up to his lift raft and was turned away, being told to go to the next one as "Only officers in this boat, sonny", or words to that effect.  Since the lore of the sea is that you help ANYONE in the water - even if they were the enemy trying to sink you five minutes earlier - you can imagine how most of his colleagues felt about that.  He was ostracized for the rest of his career, servicemen many ranks below him refused to salute etc.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

This tale from the Falklands Campaign is total nonsense.

I believe the story stems from the aftermath of the loss of the Atlantic Conveyor when the survivors took to the rafts.  Sadly those who boarded were not trained in the principles of sea survival and took the stated capacity stencilled on the inside as an absolute maximum.   They were not to know there is a permitted safe overload and should have let survivors in the water board rather than tell them to go away and find a raft that had not reached capacity.  The rumour has it that the Master of Atlantic Conveyer (who perished) was one of those unfortunates in the water who was told to move along.

I find the previous 2 posts and their endorsements are unwarranted slur on the RN.

Charlie

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Lochgorm said:

I find the previous 2 posts and their endorsements are unwarranted slur on the RN.

Charlie

I'm very sorry you feel that way; the story was told to me by one of my many ex-RN friends who had served as an Aircrewman and was (just) too young to have served on Operation Corporate, but who I believe actually knew the officer described.  Perhaps it had been re-told many times and like so often, has got more elaborate with each re-telling.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

There are very few of us know how we will react in a stressful situation.

We know how we would want to react. Personally i tried to resuscitate a family friend who had collapsed at my cousins wedding i ended up with ptsd and have had 2 breakdowns 

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

The loss of the Atlantic Conveyor is covered in some detail in the book Harrier 809 by Rowland White.

Captain Ian North the Master of  Atlantic Conveyor, was the last to leave her when she was abandoned after the double Exocet strike.  Of the twelve that died that day, nine made it off the ship, only to succumb in the water.  Captain North was never found.

Only one Chinook made it off Atlantic Conveyor: ZA 718 'BN'.  There is a small brass plaque on the back of the centre control console recording this fact and the part she played in Op Corporate.  I parachuted from her on a number of occasions when she was with 7 Sqn at Gutersloh ( Dave! Dave! Have I got the Sqn number correct this time?:laugh_mini:).  ZA 718 was certainly their 'pet' airframe.

I believe she is still serving today, having undergone at least two upgrades.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

I may  have mentioned this before 

We used to work for Volvo construction equipment, a lot of equipment used to come in via Immingham and then be taken to Liverpool docks for onward shipment to the U.S. and Canada via Atlantic Conveyor Lines on a lot of the paperwork you would find the vessel they were loading on would be Atlantic Conveyor. It always make me stop and think about trying to load a ship at the bottom of the Atlantic 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I may  have mentioned this before 

We used to work for Volvo construction equipment, a lot of equipment used to come in via Immingham and then be taken to Liverpool docks for onward shipment to the U.S. and Canada via Atlantic Conveyor Lines on a lot of the paperwork you would find the vessel they were loading on would be Atlantic Conveyor. It always make me stop and think about trying to load a ship at the bottom of the Atlantic 

According to Wikipedia, SS Atlantic Conveyor's replacement, the M/V Atlantic Conveyor was built in 1984, at the Swan Hunter Yard in Wallsend.

The Officer's Mess bar on the new Atlantic Conveyor is called the North Bar in honour of Capt Ian North DSC.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Only one Chinook made it off Atlantic Conveyor: ZA 718 'BN'.  There is a small brass plaque on the back of the centre control console recording this fact and the part she played in Op Corporate.  I parachuted from her on a number of occasions when she was with 7 Sqn at Gutersloh ( Dave! Dave! Have I got the Sqn number correct this time?:laugh_mini:). 

Well done HH! I'm glad that my little tutorials on Squadron numbers have had some positive results :dancer:

Dave

• Like 5
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I'm happy to report that my modelling mojo has been found alive and well and has been restored to its rightful place with the result that some productive time was spent in the workshop this afternoon. Progress has been made with the breakdown crane and there is light at the end of that particular tunnel - and it's not the 6. 15 coming the other way either.

On that particular note, the maker's plates in the kit are not of an acceptable standard so I'll be doing some artwork soon with a view to having some etched (including a set for you, Jamie, if you would like some). It was my intention to see if Guilplates would do them but I have heard it said that there are some better sources out there. Do any TNMs have any advice to offer?

Dave

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'm happy to report that my modelling mojo has been found alive and well and has been restored to its rightful place with the result that some productive time was spent in the workshop this afternoon. Progress has been made with the breakdown crane and there is light at the end of that particular tunnel - and it's not the 6. 15 coming the other way either.

On that particular note, the maker's plates in the kit are not of an acceptable standard so I'll be doing some artwork soon with a view to having some etched (including a set for you, Jamie, if you would like some). It was my intention to see if Guilplates would do them but I have heard it said that there are some better sources out there. Do any TNMs have any advice to offer?

Dave

Yes please Dave. I've always been very pleased with Guilplates but have also heard of other sources. 247 developments  has been mentioned.  Thanks for the offer.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Light Railway Stores, formally Narrow Planet are very good for plates.  They do a lot of 7mm scale works plates so can certainly get down to the small but legible lettering you will desire.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

The new roof for the conservatory is currently laid out on the lawn like a very large kit of parts awaiting the arrival of the two Geordie lads to take the old roof off and put the new one on.

I asked about the polycarbonate panels and they laughed: About 90% of the people who have their conservatory roof replaced opt to keep the panels for other tasks.  Cold frame lids being a popular second usage.

They'd not heard about using them as baseboards but immediately quoted all the positives:  rot free, UV resistant,  lightweight, easy to cut,  and weldable with plastic solvent.

They will be here soon so I'd better get the kettle on.....

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I asked about the polycarbonate panels and they laughed: About 90% of the people who have their conservatory roof replaced opt to keep the panels for other tasks.  Cold frame lids being a popular second usage.

They'd not heard about using them as baseboards but immediately quoted all the positives:  rot free, UV resistant,  lightweight, easy to cut,  and weldable with plastic solvent.

Have you thought about getting them to supply an extra couple of panels that you could hide from prying (I.e., Nyda's) eyes prior to their use for modelling purposes? They sound like good prospects for lightweight baseboards.

Dave

PS if you do that and get caught, it wasn't my idea, OK?

• Funny 9

11 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Have you thought about getting them to supply an extra couple of panels that you could hide from prying (I.e., Nyda's) eyes prior to their use for modelling purposes? They sound like good prospects for lightweight baseboards.

Dave

PS if you do that and get caught, it wasn't my idea, OK?

Perhaps Mr Hunt could 'store' them for Mr Hippo? That way they would be away from prying eyes and could possibly, maybe, hopefully be 'available' when needed at some point.

Just a suggestion/hypothesis you understand. It does not in anyway involve the storage of unauthorized materials as that would make Mr Hunt out as some sort of fence. Which of course we all know he is not.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Although I am not a fence, I have been known to hedge round things a bit so I suppose I could be persuaded with bribes of cake. Oops, I'm on a tonnage reduction regime aren't I? Well, maybe we could take a leaf out of the futures market and deal in virtual cake? 

Dave

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

I am fortunate that Nyda approves of any form of recycling, so my baseboard scheme has approval.

Probably anything that gets me out and doing things rather than sitting in front of the computer and vegetating gets approval.

Taking the oldest of the garage Dyson vacuum cleaners apart this morning before  the remains go to the tip/recycling centre.  This has created a number of spare parts for the younger of the pair (soon to be the only one).  It also produced a very nice length of  3/16" silver steel rod which just happens to be 7mm scale driving wheel axle materiel!

The garage is rather overfull this morning as Sam has just given us three ex military 'crash mats'.  These were in her garage and hark back to when Georgie was an international gymnast and needed something soft to practice her floor routines at home.

These added to various items currently decamped from the conservatory, have made the garage a bit of an obstacle course.

My next task is to suit up and get cracking with the angle grinder as I have some wriggly tin and a washing machine carcass to reduce in size.

Fortunately the weather is rather nice today.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

This morning I've tried several makers of etched builders' plates but have drawn nearly as many blanks. Some, like Light Railway Stores, will only do special orders if the outline and size of the plates match ones that they already do, others want a minimum order that I don't need and some will only work from their own artwork, for which they charge a large whack. None of them had anything like Cowans Sheldon plates already in their ranges. Guilplates, however, not only will work from the customer's artwork but already have several Cowans Sheldon plates in their archives so I've sent them my requirements and am waiting for their comeback.

Apart from that, today has been designated cleaning day so I'd better get on with my appointed tasks. Pah! 

Dave

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Well done HH! I'm glad that my little tutorials on Squadron numbers have had some positive results :dancer:

I have to say there is something slightly sad about a gricer who is not good with numbers......

• Funny 6