Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

14 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

In our house the indication that modelling is off the agenda for an unspecified period is often the casually delivered chilling remark, "When you've got a few minutes........"

Dave 

Bad enough…

But even worse is “I’ve been thinking….”*

* normally the preamble for something that will turn out to a] be time-consuming, b] be expensive, c] be only to her tastes, d] involve too much time spent in various low-interest-to-you emporia, e] require you to provide an opinion or an evaluation which - no matter what it is - will always be wrong or f] one or more of the above…

• Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Dave already has a customised Martin Baker seat for really special visitors.

I think I showed this before - another use for drop tanks.  I suppose an unwanted visitor could be asked if they fancied a go, and just nailed the throttle down....

218074049_paintedcar2.jpg.05b16d069b6ec3aaf9125b5c6a6e5e65.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I think I showed this before - another use for drop tanks.  I suppose an unwanted visitor could be asked if they fancied a go, and just nailed the throttle down....

Is that outside Jamie's shed?

Andy

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

That reminds me of taking a short "ride" on one of these when stationed at NAD Souda Bay, Crete; a little hard to steer and not really too fast but an interesting experience. I seem to remember someone "flying chase" on a tug just in case. Oh, and to tow it back. Not that no hose was connected and most of the panels were closed; well, except the one with the emergency "kill" switch!

Oddly, I could not find any decent photos of a real one, so this will have to suffice:

https://imodeler.com/2018/02/making-of-the-huffer-garrett-airesearch-gtc-85-air-transportable-apu-scratchbuilt-148/

Please note that "riding" one of those was against a whale of a lot of rules and regulations!

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Nyda seems to think it would be a good idea to cut out individual blocks of foam and build them up like a real wall!

Building something for the 7/8ths line might work, but a 7 mm retaining wall the full length of one of the baseboards, plus the bridge and buttresses might be a bit ambitious. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have just read in the Daily Express that an unexploded ordinance device has been found on Walcott beach.

Do the pig thick people that claim to be professional journalists really think the The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch has finally washed up on our shores?

It's ORDNANCE!

Ooooh I might have had a little tizzy there.

So sorry

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

That reminds me of taking a short "ride" on one of these when stationed at NAD Souda Bay, Crete; a little hard to steer and not really too fast but an interesting experience. I seem to remember someone "flying chase" on a tug just in case. Oh, and to tow it back. Not that no hose was connected and most of the panels were closed; well, except the one with the emergency "kill" switch!

Oddly, I could not find any decent photos of a real one, so this will have to suffice:

https://imodeler.com/2018/02/making-of-the-huffer-garrett-airesearch-gtc-85-air-transportable-apu-scratchbuilt-148/

Please note that "riding" one of those was against a whale of a lot of rules and regulations!

This one has over 300bhp at the wheels - it will feature at Bonneville at some point in the future.  It gets towed back too, but only because that is the rules.

20200827_104238.jpg.1f36e3ef3b04b1acf8fba17fdea72085.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

…Do the pig thick people that claim to be professional journalists…

Sirrah, on behalf of all pigs I am mortally offended!

Pigs are very smart and intelligent animals (who, unfortunately, also taste good) – probably the most intelligent of all our domesticated food animals

To be brutally frank, HH, if pigs could touch type in a human language, they could put most so-called “professional journalists“ out of business

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Today we took our granddaughter to the Shropshire Hills Discovery Centre where we had a good day but I was forced to correct them on one occasion. One of their information displays concerning prehistoric Shropshire stated that giant hippos had never been found in the county so I had to tell them that a visit to Horton would prove them wrong.

Dave

PS but they redeemed themselves by providing LDC in the cafe. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I once worked with a guy who was given the nickname TAPS. I don't think that he ever did realise that it was an acronym for Thick As Pig Sh!t.

Dave

One of the Gazelle aircrewmen on 656 Sqn AAC went and saw the film 'Blue Thunder'.  

The next day he turned up on the flight line with JAFO stencilled on his flying helmet

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Bear used to work with a Guy back in the 80's (at the best site....) that, many moons ago, used to ride around the Airfield Perimeter Track in (on?) a chassis from some old car (from the days when cars had a proper chassis, rather than the bits of bent tin they have now).  The propulsion?  Ah yes....they had a DH Gipsy Engine from a Tiger Moth bolted on the front, complete with Prop.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear used to work with a Guy back in the 80's (at the best site....) that, many moons ago, used to ride around the Airfield Perimeter Track in (on?) a chassis from some old car (from the days when cars had a proper chassis, rather than the bits of bent tin they have now).  The propulsion?  Ah yes....they had a DH Gipsy Engine from a Tiger Moth bolted on the front, complete with Prop.

Probably needed the prop for the engine cooling!

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, polybear said:

It's a shame it wasn't a pusher prop so the occupants wouldn't get blown away. Must have been a very draughty ride.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Took my daughter to the RAF Museum today because (a) I've wanted to go for ages and (b) she's doing A-level Photography and I thought it might provide material for some of the themes she's working on.  I was wrong as it turns out.... however I had a good look round and will be back for another visit (on my own) before too long.  It was especially nice to see the 12"/1' version of something I only knocked together in 1/72nd scale, last year:

IMG_8224.JPG.ed88465643dba38f6e26b41657cc8e5d.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG.f85aeb42ee22cbfa6f0e9c4b724523ce.JPG

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Oh and it was joy to walk through what the Germans nicknamed "The Flying Porcupine", one of my real favourites, the Sunderland.  Not easy to photograph in the hangar, but my daughter managed to capture this looking through to the tail turret:

IMG_8210.JPG.afd699de95ab34f2c9de476cc4ceb43c.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

When I worked in the steel works,  back in the 80'. we had a young apprentice who, shall we say, wasn't the sharpest tool in the box. We gave him the nick named bungalow

............. Because he had nowt upstairs! 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

The same lad wasn't very good at spelling either. For years he went round with a jacket that said

'Hells Angles' on the back! 

Edited by BSW01
  • Funny 14

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I once worked with a guy who was given the nickname TAPS. I don't think that he ever did realise that it was an acronym for Thick As Pig Sh!t.

I once worked with 'the surf board' - who was long, thick and had to be carried.

I also worked with 'three sheep' - you see a sheep is stupid, so three sheep .................

Another was called 'bungalow' becauuse he had nothing upstairs.

And finally there was 'Jacobs'  - he was just........................crackers.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1
  • Funny 12