Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

One of my old drinking buddies who was just over 5ft was nick named Stumps! 

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Oh and it was joy to walk through what the Germans nicknamed "The Flying Porcupine", one of my real favourites, the Sunderland.  Not easy to photograph in the hangar, but my daughter managed to capture this looking through to the tail turret:

IMG_8210.JPG.afd699de95ab34f2c9de476cc4ceb43c.JPG

Went inside the Sunderland owned by Kermit Weeks, and preserved in 'almost airworthy condition' at Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, Florida.

I was surprised at how cramped it was, and how 'compact' the passenger accomodation was.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

The same lad wasn't very good at spelling either. For years he went round with a jacket that said

'Hells Angles' on the back! 

Bit like the agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Everyone where I worked was called Burt .....

Everyone where Bear worked was called Buddy - cos' I could never remember their bluddy names...

Thinking about it, to a modern HR Dept. there's about 457 sackable offences in the last page of TNM alone.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

There was a Peewee at Knottingley known as Junction 33.  That's the Knottingley turn off the M62. Another was known as TC, she thought it was a great nickname. Then one day she found out it meant Two Chairs.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

To briefly return to the subject of nicknames, it’s almost as though there is a convention that has to be adhered to when bestowing nicknames. The ones that I remember are:

• short person = “lofty”
  • tall person = “shorty”, “tiny” or “titch”
  • anyone with “White” as a surname = “Snowy” or “Chalky”
  • fat person = “Bunter”

I am sure that there are many others. Some of which are willingly embraced by the nominees who refer to themselves by that nickname and others which are only used in the third person when that person is not present.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

The guy that started our bike club is 'Pedro'.  When he started work they asked what his name was (Andre), decided that was a cr@p name, and re-named him.  40 years later he's still known as Pedro by all and sundry.  He is, what they say, a bit of a 'character'. And then some.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 minutes ago, pH said:

One place I worked had a list of “gross moral turpitude” offences which could result in instant dismissal….

Oooh! Do tell!

I’d love to know what they considered “gross moral turpitude“ so that I can a) avoid it or b) embrace it if appropriate….

(Of course to be utterly and totally cynical, one could argue that many of the offences considered in the USA as being of “gross moral turpitude” would be

considered as enjoyable hobbies elsewhere, if not National Pastimes 🤣😵)

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, br2975 said:

Went inside the Sunderland owned by Kermit Weeks, and preserved in 'almost airworthy condition' at Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, Florida.

I was surprised at how cramped it was, and how 'compact' the passenger accomodation was

That’s because it’s a  Short Sunderland.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, br2975 said:

I was surprised at how cramped it was, and how 'compact' the passenger accomodation was.

46 minutes ago, BoD said:

That’s because it’s a  Short Sunderland.

The Sunderland was quite roomy compared to some military aircraft conversions. I wouldn't like to fly a long journey in a Lancastrian for example.

• Agree 10

12 hours ago, BSW01 said:

When I worked in the steel works,  back in the 80'. we had a young apprentice who, shall we say, wasn't the sharpest tool in the box. We gave him the nick named bungalow

............. Because he had nowt upstairs! 

We had a driver who again wasn't the most intelligent we called him Sprout because he wasn't intelligent enough to be a cabbage 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have just read in the Daily Express that an unexploded ordinance device has been found on Walcott beach.

Do the pig thick people that claim to be professional journalists really think the The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch has finally washed up on our shores?

It's ORDNANCE!

Ooooh I might have had a little tizzy there.

So sorry

I knows that beach, We's close enough to hear the bang...

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a bit further round,  like 50 miles to the left, off the coast of Holbeach near the west coast of Norfolk, Walcott is on the East Coast.

though a couple of miles up the road from Walcott at Mundesley , is a memorial to the mine, and other ordnance  clearance teams.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Norfolk/NorfolkCoastalMineClearance.html

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2