Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Show us yours - Realistic modelling

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilH said:

OK I lied...these WILL be the last photos of the trainset. I enjoyed building it during lockdown as a virtually new zero cost effort, recycling everything I could. Unfortunately I just don't operate it so the plan is it's going in a skip shortly.

It was built in such a way that it can't be readily dismantled into useful bits, so bye bye Bishops Stoke.

Why not put it in the "Free to a Good Home" section?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s such a mishmash of cobbled together bits stuck together, screwed, hot melt glued, wood glued, nailed,you name it I used it, it’s impossible to dismantle without destroying it. For instance the majority of the baseboard is glued together 2.5” thick insulation foam, not wood, so cannot be separated into sections, the wiring, although it all works a treat, is a bird’s nest of odd bits and pieces of different wire choccy blocked together one piece at a time with no thought as to wiring diagram or anything like that …..you get the picture. 

Edited by PhilH
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

I can’t help wondering why you don’t operate it; perhaps operation is not what floats your boat.  Despite the problems it could probably be broken down with judicious sawing and, while some damage will be inevitable, it should be repairable if somebody wanted it.  If not, then sadly the skip beckons, but you can at least recover the track, buildings, signals, point motors, and a good bit of the scenic material for use on your next layout, along with the locos and stock of course. 

You’ve made a good job of it, so the next one should maintain the standard but perhaps be designed with a view to basic dismantling.  My BLT, Cwmdimbath, was built on what sound like similar principles to yours, skipraided Ikea ‘Lack’ shelves braced and supported with skipraided lengths of 2x2 screwed, nailed, pva-ed or hotglued, and resting on top of various pieces of furniture with wooden blocks to cope with furniture height difference; crude and heavy, but my baseboard-building skills are non-existent, and this bodged Buffalo Bill PLC approach a) is within my (un)skillsets, b) was the right price, and, c) supports the layout (which I operate frequently, am happy with, and have no intention of replacing) well enough to ensure good running. . 

I live in rented accommodation, with the usual 6-month ‘shorthold lease’ period being my security of tenure.  With this in mind, the baseboards can be sawn apart at the joins and the layout moved or stored if needed.  The value of this approach was borne out 6 years ago when my landlord decided to refurbish the flat and moved my temporarily across the hall into an empty flat for 3 weeks while the work was done.  The layout was sawn into it’s ‘Lack’ baseboard sections and propped ip against a wall in the temporary flat, and within a week of moving back in, was up and running.  Track across baseboard joins had to be repaired and wiring rejoined, and there was some damage to scenery and buildings, while a splitting home junction signal and some fencing were beyond repair; nothing serious. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Such a shame the layout above can’t be saved and I hope a new layout emerges from the ashes. I started my layout in lockdown too, but fortunately made it so it could be moved and eventually incorporated into a bigger project. The original DC wiring was a right mess, but the board flips up so you can get underneath and it got rewired much better for DCC.

• Like 3

Not too "realistic", but a picture of 34070 Manston - first time out of the box since purchase in 2015.

Pictured to honour the real 34070 Manston that was issued with a new 10-year boiler ticket on November 16th 2022 after a five year overhaul.

IMG_1432.jpg

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 16

Well CK, that one of Parkend brought out an audible term from my lips!

One that we will translate as  being "Wow!" at the sheer realism of that shot.

A little cropping to the top left and make in B&W and I reckon its one of your best images yet!

Edited by LBRJ
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1