RMweb

On Cats

didcot

3 hours ago, big jim said:

Our latest fosters, arrived last week, a mother with 4 identical 5 week old boy kittens

C0897AB8-3ACF-42D7-A5D1-680419201BAA.jpeg.6d9a9969d652ace59de9231c7a1bd74d.jpeg

AA2CBC58-EA0D-47EC-8792-81FBF1932B9D.jpeg.f724f29819b5da2eaa8616e829b6a094.jpeg

D2FD1239-5618-4C16-A809-5BEDEC815931.jpeg.bbc6cb2379e58b422adcb13cb5ff2cc8.jpeg

99FD061E-ACE6-49DB-9532-F8D6B9FD5644.jpeg.15d6c137311962fdaddc7dbc10c8bf02.jpeg

DFF16B78-4F5D-4C54-B2F2-AFED44DA5EEE.jpeg.4a4c2f07e39ee1e149103a9aa42009db.jpeg

so that’s 8 black cats with us ready for Halloween

Were there a girl in there Jim, I'd take her immediately (once weaned etc. natch). Nice touse down to Suffolk in the tuned Mini as well for you, fuel paid.

What lovely boys!

C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/10/2020 at 14:19, big jim said:

Our latest fosters, arrived last week, a mother with 4 identical 5 week old boy kittens

C0897AB8-3ACF-42D7-A5D1-680419201BAA.jpeg.6d9a9969d652ace59de9231c7a1bd74d.jpeg

AA2CBC58-EA0D-47EC-8792-81FBF1932B9D.jpeg.f724f29819b5da2eaa8616e829b6a094.jpeg

D2FD1239-5618-4C16-A809-5BEDEC815931.jpeg.bbc6cb2379e58b422adcb13cb5ff2cc8.jpeg

99FD061E-ACE6-49DB-9532-F8D6B9FD5644.jpeg.15d6c137311962fdaddc7dbc10c8bf02.jpeg

DFF16B78-4F5D-4C54-B2F2-AFED44DA5EEE.jpeg.4a4c2f07e39ee1e149103a9aa42009db.jpeg

so that’s 8 black cats with us ready for Halloween

We need an AAAAAAH button.

Edited by johnarcher
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 05/10/2020 at 17:51, Classsix T said:

Were there a girl in there Jim, I'd take her immediately (once weaned etc. natch). Nice touse down to Suffolk in the tuned Mini as well for you, fuel paid.

What lovely boys!

C6T. 

mid you want an older female black cat there is always the mother, the vet seems to think she’s only around 2 years old herself

she will be spayed etc before being re-homed, really affectionate, loves a good fuss, we seem to think she may have been hit by a car or something as her back end looks a bit twisted when she walks but it doesn’t seem to cause her any issues, shes going to be x-rayed when she’s back at the vets being spayed to be sure 

62C01CBB-4CEB-4471-AE91-FE976A6E1625.jpeg.98d14e8cbf27f6d35ceadbcc96a29073.jpeg

• Like 12

On 05/10/2020 at 17:43, 37114 said:

These are our 2 cats, we have had them 6 months and they are now 18months old. They are sisters and came from a rescue centre in Bristol and had been found abandoned in a flat.

The black cat is Ruby and is a character,  she basically adores me and ignores the rest of the family.  She is a lap cat (only mine though) and has quite a menacing miaow, often reserved for my daughter when she hasn't made her bed and Ruby wants to sleep on it. She is the laziest cat I have ever known especially at such a young age.

The black and white cat is Lily and we were warned she wasn't a lap cat but as we knew Ruby was then we were happy to have her. She has become more friendly since we have had her and loves having her head scratched to the point she will stand on her rear legs to try and head butt your hand. I persevere trying to get her happy on laps and managed to get her to stay on my lap happily for 5 minutes yesterday so will keep trying as she is a friendly little cat. She is a useless hunter thank goodness, her school report would be "10 out of 10 for effort, 0 out of 10 for results" as she has launched her attacks from miles away

Isn't it funny how two from the same litter can be so different in personalities. Hattie and Sykes (now over 3 years old) we believe are brother and sister, but Hattie is very much a lap cat and attention-seeker, and while she prefers to settle on me, she also gives my wife cuddles too (unusual compared to any of our previous cats!). Hattie purrs very easily at the slightest bit of attention, and even willingly jumps into my arms if I go to pick her up.

50430257903_6087f5d122_k.jpg
IMG_20200728_212006 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Sykes, on the other hand, will not settle on our laps, although he does like a bit of attention, and even tummy rubs. He comes up on our bed in the early hours of the mornings and demands to settle in the crook of my arm while I rub (and scrunch) his tummy, and he purrs very loudly during this. He will only do this with me, and actively jumps backwards if my wife tries to do anything while he is cuddled up to me. He will approach us when we're outside, and roll over for tummy rubs though.

I posted a photo of the pair of them together earlier.

Edited by SRman
Added photo.
  • Like 16

3 hours ago, big jim said:

mid you want an older female black cat there is always the mother, the vet seems to think she’s only around 2 years old herself

she will be spayed etc before being re-homed, really affectionate, loves a good fuss, we seem to think she may have been hit by a car or something as her back end looks a bit twisted when she walks but it doesn’t seem to cause her any issues, shes going to be x-rayed when she’s back at the vets being spayed to be sure 

62C01CBB-4CEB-4471-AE91-FE976A6E1625.jpeg.98d14e8cbf27f6d35ceadbcc96a29073.jpeg

If it were up to me Jim, gladly, but we have to think of Mia. 

We had Jette (for a painfully short while) from a weaned kitten and despite some initial hisses and mumbles, once she'd gained familiar scents "Madam" was content to share her territory. An older bigger cat may be a big ask. Sorry. 

C6T. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, SRman said:

Isn't it funny how two from the same litter can be so different in personalities. Hattie and Sykes (now over 3 years old) we believe are brother and sister, but Hattie is very much a lap cat and attention-seeker, and while she prefers to settle on me, she also gives my wife cuddles too (unusual compared to any of our previous cats!). Hattie purrs very easily at the slightest bit of attention, and even willingly jumps into my arms if I go to pick her up.

50430257903_6087f5d122_k.jpg
IMG_20200728_212006 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Sykes, on the other hand, will not settle on our laps, although he does like a bit of attention, and even tummy rubs. He comes up on our bed in the early hours of the mornings and demands to settle in the crook of my arm while I rub (and scrunch) his tummy, and he purrs very loudly during this. He will only do this with me, and actively jumps backwards if my wife tries to do anything while he is cuddled up to me. He will approach us when we're outside, and roll over for tummy rubs though.

I posted a photo of the pair of them together earlier.

Much like next door's pair of brothers, Tay and Toto.  Toto is timid and runs away when I see him (unless I happen to be coming round to feed him, when he is very attentive) and a first rate mouser.  Tay is a "Six dinner Sid" type cat, expects me to pick him up and cuddle him whenever he sees me, barges in and tries to steel my cats food and has no idea what to do about mice (my Badger once spent about half an hour trying to teach Tay how to catch a mouse - in the end he gave up and ate it himself).

Edited by eastglosmog
  • Like 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Both my cats have had some but not all teeth removed due to health problems they incurred whilst living with 30 cats before being rescued.  I asked the rescue centre about biscuits, ideally they should still have some (one is 5 one is 6) but of course normal cat biscuits are a bit big/tough.

The rescue centre sent them home with a large bag of Applaws which they seemed to like.  However, on looking up Applaws to see what it contains, I discovered that a couple of years ago they changed the recipe and suddenly 5 star ratings changed to 1 star as many people were finding their cats developing vomiting and diarrhoea.  Early on, there was not problem as my cats had been feeding ok, and they couldn't read the internet.

My larger cat is always hungry and if given the chance she will eat her portion and her smaller sister's.  She threw up once when I knew she'd had a lot, and since then I've cut down the portions to just a few to keep them going.  However we've had a couple of smaller overnight vomits which I assume is the same cat, and the content is pretty obviously the biscuit pellets.

What do other people use in the UK (most/all advice seems to be American) for giving biscuit-type material to cats who need something more manageable than normal cat biscuits?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Both my cats have had some but not all teeth removed due to health problems they incurred whilst living with 30 cats before being rescued.  I asked the rescue centre about biscuits, ideally they should still have some (one is 5 one is 6) but of course normal cat biscuits are a bit big/tough.

The rescue centre sent them home with a large bag of Applaws which they seemed to like.  However, on looking up Applaws to see what it contains, I discovered that a couple of years ago they changed the recipe and suddenly 5 star ratings changed to 1 star as many people were finding their cats developing vomiting and diarrhoea.  Early on, there was not problem as my cats had been feeding ok, and they couldn't read the internet.

My larger cat is always hungry and if given the chance she will eat her portion and her smaller sister's.  She threw up once when I knew she'd had a lot, and since then I've cut down the portions to just a few to keep them going.  However we've had a couple of smaller overnight vomits which I assume is the same cat, and the content is pretty obviously the biscuit pellets.

What do other people use in the UK (most/all advice seems to be American) for giving biscuit-type material to cats who need something more manageable than normal cat biscuits?

I can't actually answer your question regarding what to give your cats (sorry), but your story did remind me of our Lucy, who was a greedy little thing, and fat/overweight (the vet agreed!). She weighed 8.5 kg, for much of her 17 years, and absolutely loved her cat biscuits. If we put the biscuits in her food bowl, she would scoff the lot in one go and promptly throw up again. We hit upon the game of putting a few biscuits in one hand, and getting Lucy to tap the hand with her paw to ask for a biscuit, which one would be fed to her. She would then have to ask for another. She came to love this game, which made her work for her food, and also rationed it and spaced it outso she had time to chew it properly before swallowing, and wasn't swallowing it all in one combined lump.

One day, my wife was feeding Lucy this way, but eating some nuts as well, which were in her other hand. She was also talking to a friend, and of course the inevitable happened ... she ate some of the cat biscuits, much to the indignance of Lucy.

On another occasion, I was feeding Lucy this way, while talking to a friend sitting on the other side of the room. I leaned forwards, still with the biscuits in my hand, chatting away. Lucy tapped my elbow gently to get my attention, but I ignored her. A short time later, she tapped my elbow again. I still ignored her. 20 seconds later, she lifted her paw, and swung a real haymaker at my elbow! My friend laughed so hard she almost fell out of her seat. :D 

Back to your problem, Metr0Land, if you can find some softer biscuit substitutes, implementing some sort of feeding game may help slow down the greedier Miss so she doesn't throw it all up again later.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

I'm not sure this will help but here goes;

Our Peanut (feral rescue) ate as much as he could and it was very difficult to control his weight but by being quite strict* and using vet recommended Royal Canin "Satiety" - they're a larger but slightly softer biscuit that are designed to satisfy constantly hungry cats.

His weight has gone from nearly 10Kg to 8.5Kg but he does have a full set of teeth so can't say how it would be for a less toothy cat. He doesn't vomit on these anyway.

Hand feeding sounds really good though!

Good luck,

John

*It's hard to be too strict as when we have our main meal in the lounge, where he has access, he will come and sit by one of us, stare at each mouthful we take and occasionally gently place his paw on an arm! I've never known a cat to beg for food before but put it down to his youth when he struggled for food, his siblings being much fiercer and pushing him away. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rafferty (see above) went to the vet for a checkup a few years ago, the vet recommended that he went on to sateity crunchies as his weight was 9.5kg. We buy them online (much cheaper than the vet) and he loves them. On the recommended portion his weight has reduced, he seems to have found his ideal weight now and often leaves some, refusing to eat any more. I've heard it said that cats are good at regulating their weight.

George, our other cat is like chalk & cheese compared to Rafferty, we got him after someone reckoned they couldn't look after him and they were going to dump him on the roadside. I guess he was 6-9months old at the time, and would eat anything in front of him. We soon taught him not to steal, but he still likes clearing plates after us.

Because of Rafferty's diet, we have to feed them in different places. They both have now learnt to eat half of their meal, then sneakily swap over. Very funny, but we now shut doors to keep them apart! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

One of ours had to have all of his teeth removed due to a severe mouth infection.  It has been a long road* back to normal eating habits but he now happily eats cat biscuits alongside the wet food.  This is just ordinary Purina cat biscuits.

* about a year.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the responses guys.  Feeding Nephy by hand would have to be a long term solution.  I've been told she may never be a lap cat and certainly won't let me touch her at the mo', though she will take pieces of meat from an extended hand, but that's a slow process.  Splitting them up at mealtime is a problem.  They bonded very strongly in the rescue centre and if I try to splt them at mealtimes get hissed at by both (that's all the thanks I get for providing their hotel) or if I do manage to split them, they soon realise they're not together and start crying for each other, even leaving their food.

I'd just come across Satiety since posting earlier and will check it out.  Very intersting about Purina, I have something similar which I might try.

I have a phone appt bkd with vet Monday pm.   Principal need with vet is to get rpt prescription for my other cat but will also talk to vet about biscuits.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Food-wise I'm quite lucky with Amy, she's good at regulating her food. When I tried just biscuits she didn't quite eat enough but with some wet food as well (sometimes all eaten, sometimes hardly touched) I just have to keep the biscuits topped up, she won't try to scoff them all at once. She's quite fond of fishing one out of the bowl and dribbling it all around the room before finally eating it.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Thanks for the responses guys.  Feeding Nephy by hand would have to be a long term solution.  I've been told she may never be a lap cat and certainly won't let me touch her at the mo', though she will take pieces of meat from an extended hand, but that's a slow process.  Splitting them up at mealtime is a problem.  They bonded very strongly in the rescue centre and if I try to splt them at mealtimes get hissed at by both (that's all the thanks I get for providing their hotel) or if I do manage to split them, they soon realise they're not together and start crying for each other, even leaving their food.

I'd just come across Satiety since posting earlier and will check it out.  Very intersting about Purina, I have something similar which I might try.

I have a phone appt bkd with vet Monday pm.   Principal need with vet is to get rpt prescription for my other cat but will also talk to vet about biscuits.

Have you tried each cat being fed either side of a child's doorway safety gate? If they can see and smell each other it should make them comfortable but keep them separate to prevent food theft.

Roxanne would eat anything left on our plates, including vegetables, but never put on an ounce (regularly wormed of course). Mia otoh will only take a morsel of fish very occasionally. 

C6T. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Have you tried each cat being fed either side of a child's doorway safety gate? If they can see and smell each other it should make them comfortable but keep them separate to prevent food theft.

C6T. 

Interesting.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't have anything like that but it's given me something to think about bodging.

22 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Interesting.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't have anything like that but it's given me something to think about bodging.

It's a similar method used to help cats that don't get on become accustomed to each other at mealtimes.

Depending on the relative size of your cats, if the smaller one can come and go as she pleases through the barrier but the larger one can't, even better.

C6T. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

I'm not sure this will help but here goes;

Our Peanut (feral rescue) ate as much as he could and it was very difficult to control his weight but by being quite strict* and using vet recommended Royal Canin "Satiety" - they're a larger but slightly softer biscuit that are designed to satisfy constantly hungry cats.

His weight has gone from nearly 10Kg to 8.5Kg but he does have a full set of teeth so can't say how it would be for a less toothy cat. He doesn't vomit on these anyway.

Hand feeding sounds really good though!

Good luck,

John

*It's hard to be too strict as when we have our main meal in the lounge, where he has access, he will come and sit by one of us, stare at each mouthful we take and occasionally gently place his paw on an arm! I've never known a cat to beg for food before but put it down to his youth when he struggled for food, his siblings being much fiercer and pushing him away. 

It's good to hear that - one of ours is somewhat overweight, and is constantly demanding food and trying to steal it from her brother - we'll try the Royal Canin and see if that has any effect.

The other is already on their food anyway (the 'Renal' version) due to his kidney problems, so we're familiar with the brand.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On the subject of Satiety, we have recently discovered (as we buy online) that it is also available in pouches.

Our online suppliers that we use are usually VetUK, and Pet Supermarket; worth checking prices before buying to get the best price

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

A little update. I kept the cats off biscuits all yesterday until the evening then put down a few Purina Go Cat biscuits which seemed very delicious (to them, and were gobbled up instantly, especially by Nephy the larger one).    With their evening meal of half a pouch each I put down just a few more Go Cat biscuits.

Overnight no problems.  This morning I fed them at 8am, so about 10 hours between 10pm and 8am feeds.  Aagin half a pouch each of wet food and a small amount of Go Cats.  You'd think Nephy hadn't eaten for 3 days as she vacuumed up her wet food and biscuits in 60 secs or so it seemed, before trying to muscle in on her sister's food.

Nephy didn't seem bothered by the slightly larger size of the biscuits, they occasionally got crunched but mostly went straight down without touching the sides.....  then about 10 mins later up came the lot.  So it's looking like it's the fact she's bolting her food and the biscuit content is the problem and not the brand.  Spangle managed to crunch a couple of biscuits in her little mouth.

I fed them again with half a pouch each at 10am and again 1am with no problems so far (apart from a hungry Nephy grabbing some of Spangle's eats).

Looks like I'll have to stop all biscuits until the vet rings on Monday afternoon and I can discuss Spangle's meds and Nephy's eating.

rev 05Oct20 Bed.jpg

rev 07Oct20 Nephy.jpg

rev 07Oct20 Spangle.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

I sometimes have problems with Tilly bringing up everything after she has bolted a lot of biscuits.  It usually occurs when she needs to get rid of a fur ball - a problem with a long haired cat, so probably not related to your problem.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1