The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Premium

We have 4 female cats + a Tom who wont go away and lives in a hutch in the garden.  5 cats is just insane.

Only two of them are interesting as they are clever and have personalities.

Esme is my cat and shares my study some of the time.

My_place,_my_rules!.jpg.0c368f028783d9cd1a81d7bf283c4fd4.jpg

Kitty is a cheeky likeable cat who likes to explore the workshop and is addicted to Dreamies.

DSC02554_-_Copy.JPG.5474c9da737a0fb4add865c85fa59a48.JPG

Dava

• Like 16

Microchip catflaps can be useful, this is next doors pair Tay (on the right) and Toto (on the left) trying to get in to swipe Badger and Tilly's dinners.  Muddy marks are from Badger's saucer sized paws:

P1010324.JPG.40d8de875f59cfb414d2531aad66800c.JPG

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photo
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Our first Cat was Max, who moved in with my parents when they were living in Leytonstone. There was a lady down the road who had lots of cats and Max used to live there but he would walk around the street and we eventually took him in. He got dementia and cancer and was put down when he was 16 in 2014. He was friendly to people he knew but would still occasionally scratch us. He fought other cats a lot but sadly he seemed to always lose and would often require a trip to the vets to have a wound cleaned and a tube and bucket fitted.

P1020493.JPG.f3c8cb6c209ec517efcf74727d30d9ff.JPG

Quite soon after Max died we got our first rescue cat, from cat's protection. She's a long-haired tortie-tabby and was living with 20 or so other cats at her previous home and then lived in a dark, cold garage before we got her (thankfully I've heard cat's protection don't use this garage any more). She's called Kiera and is the most docile and friendly cat I've ever met. She loves being around people but will spend hours on a bed or sofa sleeping. She's getting on for 7 or 8, I think

IMG_1665.JPG.1434fa9b6bbb0a51a32d73a3ce7cfba8.JPG

Neither of these two have been layout-destroyers but Max would often bring mice in. I think Kiera is too dim/lazy to catch anything other than a snail.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

Just came across this thread and had to work all of the way through it - some lovely animals and great stories of kindness, so thanks for starting the thread.

My two best friends are Tolly & Cleo (he can't spell Ptolomy!):

SJPIMG_030302121225.jpg.3c14828c69cd2cf3784eaadb6f9617f5.jpg

this cat reminds me of ray winstone for some reason!

12110E21-087E-41B6-93FE-C045898B6393.jpeg.5d4bffa20adc3a3c8465ed17819e50f0.jpeg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, big jim said:

this cat reminds me of ray winstone for some reason!

Well he has got a penetrating gaze and for some years he has been 'top cat' around this tiny village in which I live, however, the young pretenders have recently taken over and he is not happy that he is no longer the big boss.

• Like 2

To add to the tuxedo cats, this is Quark who belonged to my previous neighbor (where Tay and Toto now live):

337297255_Quark1_1.jpg.7752d9473c08e82b13b3a2e2eb4d0058.jpg

They got him and his sister Quasar from the Blue Cross about a year before Sally died.  Seems that when the Blue Cross did the home visit and check up, they checked up on me as well, as when I went to get Honey and Misty, I was told no visit was required as they had already vetted my address! (Maybe they had seen Sally sleeping in the sun where Quark is and under where she now lies.)

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photo
  • Like 12

All five cats have been a bit spooked these last few weeks. We have had roofers in repairing our flat roof and following hot on their heels builders sorting out subsidence. What with the banging, crashing and constant coming and goings they are a bit stressed. ( as well as me) The two girls have sustitus which for them is brought on by stress. Hopefully another week or so and things should calm down.

• Friendly/supportive 9

What used to happen before I installed the microchip catflap - next doors Tay stuffing himself on Badger's dinner. He was a lot thinner in those days.P1000976s.jpg.7f53e015fa6adeca0548242f72eb9915.jpg

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photo
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I suppose it would be tactless of me to say I read a magazine article years ago about a garden layout that was wired with high voltage to overcome a problem of trains going into the tunnel only to be derailed by a sleeping furry animal.  I'm not sure why I should have remembered reading that.  I suppose I had visions of a fleeing cat emerging from a tunnel mouth hotly pursued by a G gauge train!  Most of the beasts on here look very well cared for.

It's getting late so I'd better go and call our elderly tabby in.  I built a "Doric arch" around the cat flap for him at another address.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

What used to happen before I installed the microchip catflap - next doors Tay stuffing himself on Badger's dinner. He was a lot thinner in those days.

P1000976s.jpg.124bb6d282c34991b372a6724d8dfed2.jpg

What a nice looking freeloader!

Edited by J. S. Bach

I only just noticed this thread, how did I miss it?

I am a animal lover and was originally a dog person. My wife wanted a cat and we ended up with a Burmese kitten who adopted me. It turns out that I get on very good with them. We now have 7 cats (and four dogs). The cats are all rescues or street cats I have brought home. I am also on the committee of a rescue group and also help admin a Facebook page promoting the cats at our local pound. This is very satisfying and rewarding. Our efforts have played a massive part in reducing the kill rate at the pound from ~70% to no kills for over 2 years.  

Attached are two photos. The white cat is Gino who was a stray kitten at my work. I nabbed him and brought him home about two years ago. He really is my boy and just loves to be close (on top) of me. The other boy (the tuxy) is Tippy. I brought his Mum home from  my work and found she was pregnant. She still lives with us as does one of her offspring, Harry. Tippy went to a family in Victoria and sadly in late 2018 a member of his new family passed away. Tippy was in real danger of going to a country pound with an appalling kill rate so I did an 1800km round trip to bring him back to us. He is my shadow too!

It is great to see so many cat lovers here.

Regards,  

IMG_E0118.JPG

IMG_E0199.JPG

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 5

I've been a cat person all my life. My avatar is Domino who was 18 when she died a few years ago. We had lost her litter sister Jigsaw, a tabby, some years before.

We now have Toffy, the dark tortie, and the monochrome maniac, Olly. Toffy came from a local rescue centre and Olly, literally, off the streets of York. Our daughter took Olly in but couldn't keep her when she moved. As we live in a village and our garden backs onto fields, both are quite happy. The local rodent and rabbit population not so much...

steve

IMG_0693.JPG

263138EF-0C6F-47AA-88BE-57A60EF563A0.jpeg

Edited by steve1
Better image of Toffy
  • Like 16

2 hours ago, steve1 said:

I've been a cat person all my life.

Snap!

Me too! Here is a story about the very first cat I knew;

How many ginger she cats (queens) have you heard of?

My mum and dad had one when I was a small child. We lived in the countryside in Derbyshire near a little place called Windley, up a farm track and between two farms.

Her name was Sherry and she was a bit of a wild cat! I remember my parents being woken by her eating a young hare only the hare was not yet dead (sorry!) and was understandably complaining, loudly. What was amazing was that she had free access to all the nearby fields where there were plenty of cattle around and she used to chase the cows.

What a spectacle, cows being chased by a normal domestic cat! Who was dafter, the cat for chasing or the cows for running!?

I suspect Sherry was given to my grandfather when I was about five years old as that is when my parents started their travels all around Europe and I know that both my grandfather and my uncle all had descendants of hers for many years after. One of her descendants regularly used to jump from my grandfather's flat roof onto his drive, a 20 foot drop so that wild streak lived on somewhat.

I cannot remember any more about her unfortunately and my parents are gone now and there's very little chance of a photo turning up but Sherry's memory lives on with me nearly fifty years later.

John.

PS Many thanks indeed for all the kind thoughts expressed via 'likes' etc for my previous post.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

What a nice looking freeloader!

Indeed it is. Whenever we always used to get raided by other cats, it was scraggy looking strays.

• Agree 1