The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Premium

Back in the '90s I had a grey cat who was a right character. Unfortunately I don't have a picture available.  If I ever took one it's in a box in our storage lock-up.  At the time there were several households of local archaeologists in quite a small area.  One group of three female colleagues had several cats and happily fed various strays in the neighbourhood.  One of these, the grey, stuck around and effectively moved in.  He was named due to his appetite "J. Edgar brackets as in Hoover close brackets".  The ladies passed him on to a trio of male colleagues who lived opposite me and he lived there for a while and I got know him as I often visited.  After a while they moved to a no pets house so I adopted J. Edgar.  He was a very friendly cat and knew all the local places where a bowl of food might be accessible.  He used to visit his old house opposite if there was a window open, and also knew a route up onto their roof, so I would occasionally see him strolling along the ridge tiles opposite.  He  had a cat flap so was in and out as he liked, and would wait on the street corner when I was due home from work, run to meet me and try to rub his head on the moving bike as I slowed down.  He would follow me when I went out in the evening , sometimes for some distance, and would often meet me somewhere on the way back, occasionally with a mouse, usually still alive, that he would try to bring into the house.  He would follow anyone who was friendly to him, particularly students, who might think they were adopting him.  On several occasions he came in wearing a collar that someone had bought him.  He was adept at getting collars off, so I had given up on them after a while.  I had him 1991-98 and he was at least 4 when I got him. One day in summer '98 he didn't come home.  Not a problem at first, he might have got himself 'adopted' again, but after a couple of days I assumed the worst.  His idea of crossing a road was to sit down in the middle for a wash, so he may have not made it. 

The next year I married, and we adopted a cat that had belonged to friend in Bristol who had died.  She didn't settle and also went missing.  A year or so later we found her living a few streets away.  She had been adopted from a local rescue centre that I had been unaware of, so I think that somebody thought she was a stray and took her there.  I think that may have been what happened to J. Edgar.  We didn't get another cat until Tigger.

• Friendly/supportive 7

18 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

What a nice looking freeloader!

He is the complete cuddle bunny, the quintessential cat who tries to have multiple homes, never takes no for an answer and considers all food is his!

He is outside at the moment trying to get at Tilly's dinner (for which he is out of luck as Tilly has eaten it all).

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Our latest foster, only here for a few days, this is Bruce, so called as he looks like he’s got a batman mask on!

37363003-696D-4BFA-B1BF-B9E3715A9BC5.jpeg.3a355f98482bf3ed0656eec734cc3d91.jpeg

all being well once we get his medical results back tomorrow he’ll be off to his new home

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Actually he doesn’t like people to know his real name is yellow McYellowface!

thankfully he was named after his favourite colour, not after his original layout ‘blackmill’

Edited by big jim
  • Funny 3

This is our dear old Burmese boy coco in the pool with my son.

Coco lived to 19 years of age and was diabetic for the last 4 years. I gave him daily insulin shots and he would just sit there.

When he went to the vets for a blood test  they would open the carrier and walked out and sat there while they took blood.

He used to sleep with me every night until our Oriental girl put a stop to it. She owned me and if another cat got to close she would bite them.

Coco had a great life and it was a pleasure to have the journey with him

Craig W

184398_10200189394524206_1205056416_n.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

One of our biggest pet hates at home is cats on worktops, for obvious hygiene reasons.

fae has been pretty good and no longer climbs but hank is an absolute sod for it, as soon as he jumps up we get him and throw him down (gently of course) with a solid NO, if we see him about to jump again it’s a NO and he will look at us and not jump up until he thinks our back is turned 

anyway this morning, got up for work and went into the kitchen only to bust the pair of them asleep on the tops, it’s not a food prep area but all the same despite fae bing in a few sleep I had to get them off, moved them to what I would say is a far comfier sofa! 

Busted! 

10420C9F_D73F_4B3B_81F1_AB3E90E8C5F7_IMG

much better

3FAA68FB_3858_4970_85C8_9A414A3F7547_Ful

• Like 8
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, big jim said:

One of our biggest pet hates at home is cats on worktops, for obvious hygiene reasons.

I agree with your sentiment but I can't help thinking that most cats are cleaner / more hygenic  than some of those humans who used to frequent model railway exhibitions ! (back in the day when we had them). :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

fae has been pretty good and no longer climbs but hank is an absolute sod for it, as soon as he jumps up we get him and throw him down (gently of course) with a solid NO, if we see him about to jump again it’s a NO and he will look at us and not jump up until he thinks our back is turned 

anyway this morning, got up for work and went into the kitchen only to bust the pair of them asleep on the tops, it’s not a food prep area but all the same despite fae bing in a few sleep I had to get them off, moved them to what I would say is a far comfier sofa! 

Busted! 

10420C9F_D73F_4B3B_81F1_AB3E90E8C5F7_IMG

much better

3FAA68FB_3858_4970_85C8_9A414A3F7547_Ful

But they are cats, so whether a sofa is more comfortable or not, is entirely irrelevant. They will do as they please!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

I agree with your sentiment but I can't help thinking that most cats are cleaner / more hygenic  than some of those humans who used to frequent model railway exhibitions ! (back in the day when we had them). :rolleyes:

yeah but cat hair sandwiches aren’t that appetising!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 31/08/2020 at 21:42, newbryford said:

All over black cat Bruce (the light flash is a ray of sunshine) is certainly a "cat of two halves". Very friendly most of the time, but is known to suddenly sink his claws in.

I love both cats and dogs (I have a couple of very “keen” rescue greyhounds right now, so unfortunately it isn’t possible also to have a cat), but most of my previous cats have had the same changeable behaviour. I enjoy it. 

But it does make me wonder why anyone would keep “tame” lions or tigers: you just know the day will come when they will suddenly attack. Just because they can. 

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is my late old cat Suzie. She was a kitten from a feral family that my late parents took in back in the nineties.

She was around 25>26 years old, a remarkable age. She passed away peacefully at my feet one morning a few days after the photo was taken. She was the oldest cat that the vets had on their books. She thought that her longevity was probably due to genes from her feral ancestry.

20180413_154515.jpg.fcb53f7b368a04d1770296566a1e895d.jpg

In earlier times. Keyboard sitting was a regular position when I was at the computer!

232511069_Suzie1.jpg.5182e208c2dbe66c1557d0e94fb3373a.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

yeah but cat hair sandwiches aren’t that appetising!

You mean there's any other kind? Ours don't go on the wokrtops at all (for which I'm very glad!), but we still seem to have fur in almost everything!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Nick C said:

You mean there's any other kind? Ours don't go on the wokrtops at all (for which I'm very glad!), but we still seem to have fur in almost everything!

We're catless now, but the dog is just as bad, for hair dropping NOT bench climbing!

A Bearded Collie drops so much hair, I'm surprised he's not bald!

• Funny 2