The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

43 minutes ago, grahame said:

DSC04617red.jpg.e6041b843a64bb7dbfc4d668eefc31b1.jpg

Shame about him being blurry in the last pic, but even though I'd set the camera shutter speed to 1/200th he was going at one hell of a lick. And on landing the run out was long.

He really is a beautiful animal. 

Reminds me in many ways of our Pooh, although you wouldn't get photo of him with all four feet off the ground like that - you're doing well to catch him with one off the ground!  A few months ago he jumped out of the back bderoom window onto the conservatory roof, slid down that and via the fence into next door's back yard.  As that is surrounded by a 6' fence, he couldn't get back out and I had to get them to unlock the gate to let him out - the very idea of climbing a tree would be completely alien to him.   We daren't let him out - I don't think he'd treat the A505 with the respect it deserves.PoohJune2021(8).JPG.0abc3a929fec3bf74d7d5af979860d50.JPG

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

He really is a beautiful animal. 

Reminds me in many ways of our Pooh, although you wouldn't get photo of him with all four feet off the ground like that - you're doing well to catch him with one off the ground!  A few months ago he jumped out of the back bderoom window onto the conservatory roof, slid down that and via the fence into next door's back yard.  As that is surrounded by a 6' fence, he couldn't get back out and I had to get them to unlock the gate to let him out - the very idea of climbing a tree would be completely alien to him.   We daren't let him out - I don't think he'd treat the A505 with the respect it deserves.PoohJune2021(8).JPG.0abc3a929fec3bf74d7d5af979860d50.JPG

Pooh looks lovely. Black cats are great. He looks quite young.

Marley is an elderly boy - he will be 13 later this year. I got him as a lockdown rescue cat from the RSPCA around two and a half years ago. He's been a wonderful companion and is supposed to be arthritic.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

41 minutes ago, grahame said:

Pooh looks lovely. Black cats are great. He looks quite young.

Pooh isn't black - he just looks it.  He's really an extremely dark brown, and he got the name because children wanted to name him after a bear because of his colour!  He just got darker and darker as hew grew up and you can now only see the brown in certain lights.  He doesn't have age as an excuse for his lazy nature as he's only two or three years old.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Marina's other two kittens left for their new homes today. We will miss them! Marina is still with us but is not very friendly....  (Food helps!)

That leaves us with the three foundlings. They are about four or five weeks old and still on milk, but it is time to start weaning them....

I took the dogs for their evening walk last night. No sign of outdoor cats though their bowls were empty. Once around the corner, Arran started barking and there were Sophia and Blanco. The dogs started pulling like mad to get to them and had to be restrained. They usually get on well with them, so it was probably friendly, but they are about ten times their size*. In fact as soon as we returned home the cats appeared at full speed for their supper.

We have invited them in as house cats, but they prefer the outdoor life. We'll see when the cold weather returns (not that it's really gone away yet!).

*The other morning the cats were waiting by the gate when we set out on the walk and the dogs carefully walked around them, taking care to not step on them. They are good boys!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

22 hours ago, Dagworth said:

IMG_0131.jpeg.3d32753d3da73a913527719294718e16.jpeg

Can I curl up here? 

Our three all love doing that!

They seem to take a particular delight in walking on the "aircraft mode" key and turning off the internet!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hobby said:

Nah, not really, little humans are horrors at that age, kittens are always cute! ;)

I dare you to stick your hand in this box.... :^)

Edited by TT-Pete
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grahame said:

Bingo. 250th sec setting today and a far better result:

Rule of thumb - when photographing moving pets, use the same shutter speed as you would passing trains!

• Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I've always said cats fly beautifully. 

No matter which way up they are when you throw them, they always land on their feet!

He's on his way up (taking off for a short flight) rather than a landing. 😉

• Like 2
  • Funny 1