Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

They might do a better job of picking our MPs for us than we do ourselves.

Change that to Senators and Representatives; it just might be true here, too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

You elected Trump over there ... and we let Boris in.

It could have been worse, we could have had Hillary instead!

Another thought; I recall seeing photos of Trump and of Boris and thinking "They sure do look somewhat alike".

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add a missing word
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I've just been offered two grey and white 10 week old kittens, both brothers, and I'm so, so tempted, but with Tiggy Woo and his sister Woogles now being 11, I'm not sure how they would react to them bombing around.

I brought an 8 week kitten into a house with a 16year old and an 8year old. They all seem fine now four weeks later 

Andi

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

12 hours ago, Dagworth said:

I brought an 8 week kitten into a house with a 16year old and an 8year old. They all seem fine now four weeks later 

Andi

When they pick themselves up from the far side of the room they will quickly learn to respect the quiet space around the older cats.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

My ginger cat hated all other cats but I introduced him to an abandoned kitten when he was about 9 years old. I had the kitten in my arms and called Sandy who came to me. I made a fuss of Sandy, then the kitten and then Sandy. I then put the kitten down and made a fuss of both of them while they inspected each other. Sandy put his paw over the kittens neck and washed the kitten from head to tail. Sandy then went to the kitchen and asked my mother for food. The kitten followed and they ate out of the same bowl with Sandy allowing the kitten to be a real little pig with the food. By the evening they were sleeping together with Sandy being very protective of his new friend.

If you introduce them while making it clear you love them it should work out OK but you have to let the older cat make the decision.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 5

We were feeding our cats this morning. Raphael (as in 'large') was busy scoffing his breakfast when kitten Gretel (as in 'small) decided that his food was also hers. In the end he backed off and left her to finish it.

Obviously he got extra rations!

Yesterday after taking a small dog to Alghero on the first stage of the journey to her forever home, we collected four more kittens* as temporary residents. They are isolated from the others for now, and are supposedly only here for a week, but....

* One tortoiseshell. 2 tabbies and a black.

Panic! Scream from kitchen, "Raphael has brought in a mouse!" It turned out to only be a poor terrified shrew, which was rapidly taken back outside by yours truly. I trust it has the sense to make itself scarce! 😀

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Update to above - the new kittens are actually tortoiseshell, ginger and white, black and white, and black.

(Put it down to old age....)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, BrushVeteran said:

All of the cats and kittens on view are available for adoption and are rescue/feral which are being domesticated by the interaction with human presence and I think that it is a wonderful concept in gaining the respect and acceptance of a feline. I would thoroughly recommend a visit by anyone who likes cats as it is unique in its approach and basically is a sound step in the introduction to cat adoption. Whist not particularly cheap it is London and the two premises I have been to must be  expensive to rent as they are both main stream areas, but I have never seen this concept before and I think it very clever.

That is a neat concept and I did not believe I have heard of anything similar on this side of the pond.  A quick google turned up the Catnip Cat Cafe, just down the road from me.  Apparently cat cafes started in Taiwan.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, TheEngineShed said:

That is a neat concept and I did not believe I have heard of anything similar on this side of the pond.  A quick google turned up the Catnip Cat Cafe, just down the road from me.  Apparently cat cafes started in Taiwan.

Interesting, the two venues in London are connected to a similar business in Sweden!

I have been to Taiwan some twenty odd years ago and can't remember seeing anything like that then but good to know they care about their felines!  Curiously with the Chinese there was never the year of the Cat on their animal calendar Zodiac!

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, BrushVeteran said:

...snip... You can stroke the cats if you/they wish but you are not allowed to pick them up or feed them. ...snip...

What if the cat/kitten comes over to you and jumps up in your lap? Without you really doing anything to attract it.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, BrushVeteran said:

I got a birthday treat yesterday and got taken to Westfield, Shepherds Bush, London where the is a cat cafe called Java Whiskers. They also have another branch in Marylebone which my wife and I visited in February. 

This visit yesterday was an hours session observing the kittens which just roam freely doing what they do whilst you can sit and relax with a coffee and scone or similar. You can stroke the cats if you/they wish but you are not allowed to pick them up or feed them. All of the cats and kittens on view are available for adoption and are rescue/feral which are being domesticated by the interaction with human presence and I think that it is a wonderful concept in gaining the respect and acceptance of a feline. I would thoroughly recommend a visit by anyone who likes cats as it is unique in its approach and basically is a sound step in the introduction to cat adoption. Whist not particularly cheap it is London and the two premises I have been to must be  expensive to rent as they are both main stream areas, but I have never seen this concept before and I think it very clever.

IMG_4356.jpg

IMG_4360.jpg

IMG_4362.jpg

I could easily take my other half to the one at Marylebone but I fear that we would come away with a cat. We are away too often to have pets though but she does get her cat fix with next doors two cats.

There is a place in Japan where they have a model railway ,trains having a camera on the front. The trains are regularly swiped off the track. The videos can be found on Youtube

• Like 5