RMweb

On Cats

didcot

A disadvantage of having MaineCoons is that you have to have big cat flaps for them, and the rats fit! I am extremely glad Tilly has retired from the ratting business.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, didcot said:

A neighbours cat tried to bring a dead rat through the cat flap. The cat wouldn't let go and the rat was so large it wouldn't go through. It was entertaining for a few minutes. 

I can vividly recall the sight of our late cat, Spice, struggling up the lawn with a large rabbit hanging from her mouth. She would deposit such things, including squirrels, on our doorstep and seemed to offer them to us as a gift, presumably expecting us to eat them! Towards the end of her life she would think a ‘good hunt’ but rarely made the physical effort, even ignoring squirrels when they were only a few feet away from her.

Good news about Marble; I have been frequently checking your post for updates and, like most on here I suspect, the uncertainty has been unbearable.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

57 minutes ago, Deeps said:

Good news about Marble; I have been frequently checking your post for updates and, like most on here I suspect, the uncertainty has been unbearable.

Thank you. Yes tears of joy tonight compared to yesterday.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, didcot said:

A neighbours cat tried to bring a dead rat through the cat flap. The cat wouldn't let go and the rat was so large it wouldn't go through. It was entertaining for a few minutes. 

Last year Benji managed to catch a Pigeon, and tried to bring that in through the cat flap...

• Funny 1

Olly managed to fit a live Mallard through our cat flap. 

That is, I assume she did, as I found it in the living room when I returned from work!

steve

• Like 4
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

One of our previous cats - Dill - managed to catch a live squirrel many years ago. There was such a commotion outside the back door that my wife went out, saw what was going on and said, 'Dill, drop it!'

Dill dropped the squirrel, which promptly made off and scrambled up to the top of the neighbours roof, from which he delighted in screeching taunts at poor old Dill!

• Like 7
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Back in the 1980s Jasper amazed us all by dragging a dead wood pigeon through the cat flap into the kitchen 🙄

Only the one? I share my house with "Merlin" my two and a bit year old tabby. He's young and very enthusiastic when it comes to hunting. This years tally of pigeons (bog standard variety) is I think, 14 or 15...I've lost count. All end up being placed lovingly on the living room carpet.  The first arrived about 6 hours after the carpet was laid!

He also can add various mice (usually live) and a particularly lively and pee'd off magpie (at 3am) to his delivery quota.

Finn, a recently departed gingey- topped this by managing to wrestle a rolled up hedgehog through the catflap. Not that he really knew what to do with it once he'd performed this feat.

Young Merlin always tries to protest his innocence but.....well you'll see......

(and yes I need to finish painting the wall!)

104476de-04e4-4bd6-bea2-7fdc15f585a5.JPG

371663d7-c40f-4c2d-9497-829c53413e07.JPG

a0539daa-937e-48f0-8bb1-759665653f18.JPG

fbfdd83e-5d52-4a2c-9b6e-892799023533.JPG

Edited by admiles
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

The tabby from my youth had a habit of bringing in slow worms. Never killed them, just brought them in and leave them by the kitchen boiler, it may have always been the same one. Mum or myself would take them out before my dad saw it, he had a phobia about snakes, which dated back to his National Service spent in India, when a large King Cobra was found in his barracks when he got up one morning. He would never visit the reptile house when we went to the zoo.

• Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, JZ said:

The tabby from my youth had a habit of bringing in slow worms. Never killed them, just brought them in and leave them by the kitchen boiler, it may have always been the same one. Mum or myself would take them out before my dad saw it, he had a phobia about snakes, which dated back to his National Service spent in India, when a large King Cobra was found in his barracks when he got up one morning. He would never visit the reptile house when we went to the zoo.

Back in the 70’s our family included a pair of tortoiseshell sisters, Nobby and Dizzy. One day my mother walked into the kitchen and found the pair of them proudly sat next to their latest catch, a live adder. This was on the Isle of Wight, where adders are quite common. The pair had somehow completed the hunt working together but there were no casualties, apart from my mother suffering a bit of shock. I think the snake was safely delivered back to the wild.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Deeps said:

Back in the 70’s our family included a pair of tortoiseshell sisters, Nobby and Dizzy. One day my mother walked into the kitchen and found the pair of them proudly sat next to their latest catch, a live adder. This was on the Isle of Wight, where adders are quite common. The pair had somehow completed the hunt working together but there were no casualties, apart from my mother suffering a bit of shock. I think the snake was safely delivered back to the wild.

Not seen an adder around here for years and grass snakes are quite rare here. Occasionally see adders warming themselves on the cable trunking around Maiden Newton station and I did nearly stap on one when I was being shown how to set the points there.

25 minutes ago, JZ said:

Not seen an adder around here for years and grass snakes are quite rare here. Occasionally see adders warming themselves on the cable trunking around Maiden Newton station and I did nearly stap on one when I was being shown how to set the points there.

There are numerous accounts of permanent way staff coming across adders on the IOW system, particularly when clearing the brush around Apse Bank on the Ventnor line. I believe that there would regularly be several adder skins displayed outside one of the signal boxes.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, JZ said:

The tabby from my youth had a habit of bringing in slow worms. Never killed them, just brought them in and leave them by the kitchen boiler, it may have always been the same one. Mum or myself would take them out before my dad saw it, he had a phobia about snakes

I assume that telling him that they are lizards without legs didn't work, then!