Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why is their no budget range for the younger modeller to get into this hobby?

4 hours ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

I couldn't agree more.

Once you stop caring about getting things 100% perfect you can start to have a lot more fun.

Fun?

"I didn't get where I am today without knowing there's no fun in getting where I am today."

spacer.png

You could probably find a CJ quote for anything....

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 07/05/2021 at 10:16, Rockalaucher101 said:

Exactly, finding that balance is where real fun can be had.

I have developed quite an enjoyment for bashing models since finding that sweet spot. Currently working on Ivor the Engine made using a Hornby Toy Story loco, A3 wheels with spokes cut off (maybe, haven't decided) and a few other odds and ends. Hopefully it'll work out but I'm never worried about it being perfect.

This is more-or-less where I am. With my models, I tend to go for what other modellers have referred to as "the Impressionist approach." I don't aim to be perfect, but to capture a feeling. Something that looks right to me, even if the details aren't perfect or the historical accuracy is a bit off. Frustration at getting things wrong and fear of making mistakes swiftly vanish into the ether.

Financially, it's a bit of a two-edged sword for me. On the one hand, I can be happy with less detailed second-hand models, but on the other it becomes dangerously easy to justify models that shouldn't be there...

• Like 1

On 11/05/2021 at 11:38, HonestTom said:

Financially, it's a bit of a two-edged sword for me. On the one hand, I can be happy with less detailed second-hand models, but on the other it becomes dangerously easy to justify models that shouldn't be there...

It can certianly be expensive, especially if you decide you want to put ExtremeEtches on a lima deltic just because someone told you not to.

Now I wonder who's doin that...

• RMweb Gold
On 07/05/2021 at 13:27, Steamport Southport said:

Fun?

"I didn't get where I am today without knowing there's no fun in getting where I am today."

spacer.png

You could probably find a CJ quote for anything....

I didn’t get where I am today by finding a CJ quote for anything…

• Funny 3