Scalescenes wishlist

I'd like to back you on the bridges... A nice plain brick arch double track job would be ideal - apart from the 'Prototype Models' (I think) kit which was a GC brick combo I can't think of another example???

Hornby do one. I have a pair. They are out of stock at Hornby but I reckon there are some about if you search. They also come with side walls if you hunt.

I am fairly sure that is a mixture of specially made bricks and granite slabs.

None of this is granite. It's all killas - a local name for something that isn't granite - and this is mudstone. It's older than granite, Devonian age, the granite being intruded in the Carbomiferous. Because of the hot granite intrusion some of this mudstone is partially baked and metamorphosed (that's why you get the Delabole slates, a truly metamorphic rock)

The wide mortar is probably to cover the edges of the rock lumps and arrest the splitting of the edges that moist salt air causes. If you go into South East Cornwall and South Devon the local name for mudstone is shillit - something that you wouldn't dream of using for building.

This killas was originally mud deposited deep in a offshore basin and was probably about 4km thick when the granite was intruded. If you want me to be even more boring on this I can be.

• Like 1

I'd go for some more textures.

There are some very distinctive UK textures and brick styles not represented that would make many kits useful in more locations

- Slate (North Wales for example) is very distinctive

http://www.penmorfa....e/dinorwic5.jpg

- Pinkish sandstone

- Semi-random packed stone (eg North Cornwall Railway buildings and in similar but not quite the same style many other places) from Wales to Scotland

(eg http://philtpics.fot.../p42539797.html, http://www.disused-s...e/index32.shtml

- Some of the other brick styles

Eg this beautiful example of Neath & Brecon architecture ( http://philtpics.fotopic.net/p56516812.html )

• RMweb Gold

FoLlowing from Etched Pixel's post here and in the new church kit thread, how about making each of the pages of each kit available individually ? For a fee of, say 50p each, it would mean we could buy specific bits to make our own models, sort of expanding the scratchbuild portfolio.

Stu

Thanks everyone, some absolutely fantastic kit concepts here, keep them coming!!! I'll be working out my schedule for the next few months in the next week or so...

A few initial thoughts on the suggestions so far:

Directional road signs - would make a great 'type your own pack' I'll just need to look into the font licensing

1970 ('modern') and 1950s Semi-detached housing - both would make great kits, already high on my to do list!

Farm buildings - already high on my to do list (hopefully later this year!)

Pub - scheduled for the end of this year

Multi storey car park and office tower - the office is hopefully one I can squeeze in this year too, the Multi storey car park should be a fairly easy spin off from the offices!

Billboards - hoping to include a selection with my new Brick arched bridge kit (they'd look good mounted on the wing walls). In addition to the single version that was in Hornby mag recently it will also come with a double track arch version (should be out fairly soon)

Interior detail pack - Hope to expand my current interior detail pack to include furniture (fridges, wardrobes, kitchen cupboards, sofas etc) I need these as well to detail the interiors on South Oak Road, so it will pop up sometime soon!!

Modern low relief industrial buildings - already high on my to do list!

Scottish tenement building - Could be the Scalescenes equivalent of the 'Blue pullman' rolleyes.gif but they are such beautiful buildings I'm very tempted...

Thanks again for all the ideas, I'm not going to be twiddling my thumbs anytime soon! Keep them coming!

Cheers

John

• Like 4

I'd definately like some 7mm scale advertisements and hoardings for 1960's and 70's. Adverts to go on bridge girders would be nice as well.

On signage, would it be possible to make the "totems" sheet a little more flexible? The ability to make different sizes and formats with more choice of wording.

Typical example, on the totems you can type in the station name but only up to a certain length. Also you can't put subtext in smaller letters underneath the main name, such as BOLTON (trinity street) or BURY (Bolton Street) etc.

Totally different; LNW coal hole/water tank for loco sheds. L&Y had similar buildings too.

Jon F.

Guest Moria

Hi John,

Ermmm as a challenge, and 'cause I want one a Castle. Lots of bits... Walls, towers (square and round), keep, great hall, gatehouse, sheds and covered ares for inside walls, dovecote, etc etc etc so you can design it to fit the space even though the instructions build one type, and for further brilliance both preserved and ruined. One corner of my layout is screaming for a castle that is half lived in and half ruins.

Secondly preserved or ruined Abbey same as above

Third (although font licensing may be a problem) Modern Depot signs like the station names

Fourth Generic ancilliary buildings.. eg small sheds, big sheds, modern style sheds, garden sheds, greenhouses, portacabins (single and double stack capable), garages, workshop sheds, lockups etc

Fifth Modern Generic Brewery so I have somewhere to run my N gauge society grainflow wagons to blink.gif

Sixth Canal parts Locks with different gate styles, overflows, canal walls, cottage, towpath bridges etc

Seventh Dam no not the swearword, the water holding one

but the big one is a Castle please laugh.gif although as you can guess I could use all the above!

Hey you didn't say it had to be small and easy tongue.gif

regards

Graham

• Like 1

I would definately agree with a multistory carpark, station hotel is a definate must please! i love these kits and a decent red brick station hotel would suffice as the good old Palace hotel in manchester!

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

RE: Bridges

I dug mine out. R8512. Pack of 2. About £9.00

I'm reading that as a tunnel portal - so no deck or brick arch? - anyway it looks a bit plain and I'm sure Mr. 'Scalescene' could do much better?

Many great ideas on here already but can I add a plea for a modern Travelodge style hotel block - perhaps this is not a far cry from the office block already mentioned?

I can't wait for the container ship promised this Summer by the way!

Can I second the requests for 1960s-ish suburban houses? Something along the lines of any of these examples; Anything in this cul-de-sac; This short terrace; Or this one next to it.

Also, a more "bog standard" 1930s semi than the very strongly Voysey ones by Metcalfe, like this, this, these two or these two, would be great.

What's great about these designs is that they have a very consistent core but so much scope for variations in brick colour, tiles, porches, doors, garages, extensions... They are all to the same basic design yet no two are the same.

Finally, how about a typical panel system school, such as this primary school or this secondary school (other view) They can just as easily be offices as schools, and the modular nature of the design would make it easy for the customer to tailor to the correct length and number of stories. Plus, the real things look like they are made from card kits, so doing a model should be a doddle!

Paul

Paul thats a cracking idea about the school buildings as they would be really easy to customise as they are designed in such a modular way in 1:1 scale, plus they are all around the UK too so should suit a wide audience and span over several different eras.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Paul thats a cracking idea about the school buildings as they would be really easy to customise as they are designed in such a modular way in 1:1 scale, plus they are all around the UK too so should suit a wide audience and span over several different eras.

Mike

CLASP structures - well I think that's what they are known as... in fact being modular you could use them for all kinds of public service accommodation... council offices, ambulance/fire/police stations, hospital buildings, university/college blocks etc.

• RMweb Gold

There is already a set of hanging tiles in the Scratchbuild section (TX41) - but this is a flat sheet. Could we have a page/s of printed tile/slate strips, with space to overlap each successive layer ?

Example here (with grateful thanks to Penlan !!)

post-7025-127549356262_thumb.jpg

I will second a request for Semi-random packed stone (eg North Cornwall Railway buildings and in similar). I have just about finished a mock up of Padstow station building using Random Ashlar TX46. Ok but a little on the brownish tint. And the Quoins were way to big. But then this is the mock up study for a future building if I can ever find the right plastic random packed stone. Wills doesn't cut it.

And Slate roofing.