Amanda's 7mm Stuff - A 1366T takes shape - and runs!

Guest WM183

On 01/11/2022 at 08:13, WM183 said:

Where can I order a nylon worm, and how do I know what size I need?

You could try a search for these on that "Famous Auction Site" ....

10 x 10mm Worm Gear 6mm long Plastic Cog Gear for 2mm Motor Shaft Pack of 10 New

They look about the right size and pitch, unless your gears are fine pitch. Check the motor shaft size first though !

Another thing to do is make sure your axle gear is dead centre on the axle and dead in line with the motor shaft - even the smallest of offset will create noise, usually more in one direction than the other.....

Edited by andi4x4

Hi Amanda,sorry for the delay,just got back off holiday.Main injecter steam feeds usually come out of the Main steam turret (top of the boiler,inside the cab)(well it does on our industrials anyway.Will try and find a photo over the weekend.

Phil

On 02/11/2022 at 15:53, WM183 said:

Today I had some spare time, so I decided to do something about the rather featureless white metal backhead casting. I added regulator lever and firebox door gubbins, pipes and gauges, and even a brake handle. Can anyone else thing of anything obvious I should add to it? 

I am going to work on the handbrake standard and handle next; once again the kit casting is so-so at best.

3Rc3hxG.jpg

Actually,pinching your photo,the two controls on the outside under your (?) forefinger.

Phil

Today I had some spare time, so I decided to do something about the rather featureless white metal backhead casting. I added regulator lever and firebox door gubbins, pipes and gauges, and even a brake handle. Can anyone else thing of anything obvious I should add to it? 

I am going to work on the handbrake standard and handle next; once again the kit casting is so-so at best.

3Rc3hxG.jpg

Actually,pinching your photo,the two controls on the outside under your (?) forefinger.

Steam heat could be the pipe that runs left over the top of the back head,then down the left hand side.Am searching for a labelled diagram of a GW backhead,got one some where.Bear with me on this one,soon as I track it down,will scan and send to you.Hopefully by tomorrow.

Phil

15 hours ago, WM183 said:

If the gears don't settle in, I'll get a plastic worm. I am just unsure what size worm to get. 

Do you have a vernier?   Can you measure the diameter of the worm and wheel?   Are they 40 to 1 gears?    Ultrascale is your source.    He has a good web site.

10 hours ago, WM183 said:

Thank you! I copied a 57xx, I think, and my gauges are in different locations =( I will add the lubricator and associated pipework and valves to the loco, and the injector water valves. It should come out quite ok! Are the wooden risers depicted along the bottom the floor, or storage boxes, or?

The wooden bits are the cab flooring.On a pannier the boxed area,is over the rear wheels,I think,and the raised pieces are the so you can see out.There is a lowered piece between the wheels.Well on the pannier I had a footplate experience on did.

3Rc3hxG.jpg

Steam heat could be the pipe that runs left over the top of the back head,then down the left hand side.Am searching for a labelled diagram of a GW backhead,got one some where.Bear with me on this one,soon as I track it down,will scan and send to you.Hopefully by tomorrow.

Phil

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 34006 said:

and the raised pieces are the so you can see out.There is a lowered piece between the wheels.

What type of pannier was your footplate experience? I'm wondering how common these raised areas were on GWR tank types as the 45xx had them as well. Rarely modelled, I couldn't work out why the visible crew in photos seemed too high to be stood on the floor so I went and had a look at 5572 at Didcot.

(although in typing that, now occurs to me it might only have been on those with the later raised tanks!)

Edited by Hal Nail
typo

"The Weymouth Harbour Tramway in the Steam Era" by Gerry Beale has, as you'd expect, a great many pictures (including one on the front cover) featuring 1366 class tank locos. In those photos where it's visible (naturally, when you're looking for something specific, there's frequently someone or something obscuring it!) there's either a steam heat hose or just the pipe with the hose removed (I gather that it was common practice to remove them in summer for their own protection).

However, in talking about the 1366 class locos, it notes that "unlike other members of the class" the ones used on the tramway had steam heat, as well as a warning bell and an additional footstep and handrail for the shunter at the front right.

So, the impression I get is that steam heat comes with those other features.

Gordon

13 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

What type of pannier was your footplate experience? I'm wondering how common these raised areas were on GWR tank types as the 45xx had them as well. Rarely modelled, I couldn't work out why the visible crew in photos seemed too high to be stood on the floor so I went and had a look at 5572 at Didcot.

(although in typing that, now occurs to me it might only have been on those with the later raised tanks!)

Hi,it was 7752,at Shackerstone.I have read somewhere (quite recently,too) that the crew couldn't see out of the front spectacle plate if they stood on the flat part of the floor,so part of it was raised up.This was in a book by a former steam fireman,can't think of the title off the top of my head.Was on the 2 - 8 - 0 T at Paignton once,that had a flat floor.Quite a roomy cab IIRC.

Phil

Edited by 34006
spelling!
  • Thanks 1

The book about the Weymouth Harbour Tramway also notes that eventually all members of the class found their way onto it. The last was 1369, which finally made its appearance on the line in 1960, at which time the tank sides were still emblazoned "GREAT WESTERN". Might be a reason to choose a particular member of the class...

Gordon