Ebay "offer received"

MartynJPearson

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

[ramble] 

I usually

eBay can still feel like a den of thieves, and it really grabs my goat eBay won't let me permanently filter a particular sellers' items out of my searches globally...  as there are a couple of reprobates I'd love to do that with.  (I do know how to do it on specific searches, I just CBA to set it up each time.)

I check RMWeb ads first before I go to the 'bay.

[/ramble]

Totally agree - especially with the inability to block sellers.

I do however frequently enter cheeky offers (I always put a note saying I know it's cheeky but if it's been for sale for a while you may consider it?) - hoping that they then come back with a either an agreement (It has happened!) or a higher offer but one that is actually around what I didn't mind paying.

I think some sellers hate me for it, but so be it - I try to always be polite. Had a good one recently with a disk controller for a server. New from HPE - £800+ ebay buy it now anything from £120 - £800+ - my offer £60 - accepted. Phew :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

[ramble] 

I usually only make offers where the buyer has set a buy-it-now (i.e. offer is less.)  I don't think I've ever tried to make an offer on an auction to try to finish it early (didn't know that existed.)

Buy it Now is totally different to an auction item which has a make me an offer with it,

Buy it Now is a fixed price sale.

Make me an offer is a facility added to an auction item. The offer could be below the starting price if you think its too expensive, or trying to get something on the cheap. Or above if you feel the item is worth more and would like to tempt the seller into ending the auction early

I make an offer that is roughly what I think it's worth.  That offer is not necessarily what I'm willing to pay...  if the offer is rejected and a counter offer made, I consider it carefully.  I'm much more amenable if I get a well worded email with considered justification.  Of course, you can count on the thumbs of your feet how often this happens.

I think that's what we all do, and I do send a message on those that come to me. But many of us set up the auto reject facility for bids under a set amount, we never see these bids. Which might explain why you get so few replies

Sometimes when I see something I really would like, but it's offered at a ridiculous BIN price, I'll send a message first with some research pointers indicating what I think it's worth, followed later by the offer.  This, perhaps surprisingly, has worked rather well for me in the past.  It has, equally unsurprisingly, provided some properly Bubba Knucklehead responses.

Good tip, I keep away from what I believe are sellers offering over priced items

However, if the original list price is close to what I'd pay, I usually offer very close to the asking.  (If they wanted that precise amount, they wouldn't add the 'offer'...  unless they did it by accident as mentioned earlier.)

I'm fairly sure companies set automatic accept/reject criteria for offers.  Just sayin'.

It keeps chancers away offering ridiculously low offers

eBay can still feel like a den of thieves, and it really grabs my goat eBay won't let me permanently filter a particular sellers' items out of my searches globally...  as there are a couple of reprobates I'd love to do that with.  (I do know how to do it on specific searches, I just CBA to set it up each time.)

A bit strong, agreed there are a few who I rather not deal with. But on the whole the vast majority of eBayers are like yourself, very nice people to deal with. Both Buyers and sellers, dealers and public.

As you say there a few who either want to take an advantage of others of want items on the cheap, don't get me wrong I love a bargain but happy to pay a fair price. When selling I want a good price, but try not to rip anyone off

I check RMWeb ads first before I go to the 'bay.

[/ramble]

It seems to me eBay attracts a lot of bad vibes, when actually its some who do not understand completely how the system works

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, hayfield said:

Buy it Now is totally different to an auction item which has a make me an offer with it,

Buy it Now is a fixed price sale.

Make me an offer is a facility added to an auction item. The offer could be below the starting price if you think its too expensive, or trying to get something on the cheap. Or above if you feel the item is worth more and would like to tempt the seller into ending the auction early

Ah now I see, having actually gone to have a look at eBay instead of just typing. 

image.png.989a6f501b89744f56215c00115600e9.png

The first is the type I claimed not to have seen.  I mostly ignore these especially if there's a high starting bid, as if there's an auction, why not just let it run.  

The second is the type I do make offers on.

The third, well, if its a bargain...  etc.

11 hours ago, hayfield said:

It seems to me eBay attracts a lot of bad vibes, when actually its some who do not understand completely how the system works

... that's a fair comment.  But I'm a curmudgeon.  :D

1 hour ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

Ah now I see, having actually gone to have a look at eBay instead of just typing. 

image.png.989a6f501b89744f56215c00115600e9.png

The first is the type I claimed not to have seen.  I mostly ignore these especially if there's a high starting bid, as if there's an auction, why not just let it run.  

The second is the type I do make offers on.

The third, well, if its a bargain...  etc.

... that's a fair comment.  But I'm a curmudgeon.  :D

I have learnt something tonight, in that "Buy it Now" also has or "Best Offer"  In this case it is soliciting for lower bids

As for your first example, I know nothing about RTR and even less about collectors items

As I said items I list are priced at the minimum I would accept, I hope they are worth more. If someone starts off over valuing their item I just keep away from them 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Branchlines-O-16-5-Gauge-7mm-Narrow-Gauge-Rail-Fixings-Unopened-Packet-/264849341047?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=lK%2FBybn1bH9JDCCL5Trw%2B7tiZIM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Here is something that interested me for track building in 0-16.5, my actual bid was for £5, got it for £3 with cheap postage. I thought it was a fair price with cheap postage. Would not insult the person with a lower price

• RMweb Premium
On 07/09/2020 at 19:18, hayfield said:

Michael

I think if someone places a bid on an item it reverts to auction only, I have two items which I started off with make me an offer, but as someone has made a bid on both they have reverted to auction

If something i want has a low start and "an or make an offer" option I have sometimes bid the starting price to get it to revert to an auction. I wouldnt think you are likely to win something very early on with a low offer, so probably better to take your chances in the auction as usual.

Last time I did this this I then completely forgot about it and my opening bid actually won, which is the only time I've ever secured something with an early bid!

• Agree 1

Annoyingly as a seller, if someone makes a bid any offers are cancelled, even if the bid is lower than the offer.

So, if you get an offer higher than the starting bid you have the dilemma - do you hold off in case the price goes higher through bidding or other offers, or do you take the money and run. Not for the faint hearted :)

I must admit initially I did not like the "make me an offer" facility, perhaps like many I failed to understand how to make it work for me and just felt it would attract lots of people chancing their arm with low bids. I have changed my settings to switch off its automatic inclusion, but add it when I feel it would be of benefit to me.

Over the past 2 weeks I have accepted about 6 offers, two I was happy to let go cheaply to someone I knew. The other 4 I received what I believe were generous offers.

Like all facilities, look at it with an open mind and see if it would assist some or all of your sales

• RMweb Premium

As I sell photos it works well for me, if they don't sell they go to Buy it now or best offer, if I get the full price wonderful, but I'm pragmatic enough to know that does not always happen. I tend to send offers to anyone who watches a buy it now and offer 25% off which gets more sales. 

If someone sends an offer, if I have no one watching its more tempting to accept the offer, if lots are watching they tend to get declined, unless the offer is a good one. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hayfield said:

As a seller I would like to still receive make me an offer even though someone has made a bid, perhaps the bidder could be given 12 hours to match the offer before it can be accepted, and or those watching could be warned an offer has been made

I wouldn't, for the simple reason you do not know the original bidders maximum.

You could end up accepting an offer that would have been beaten by eBay's proxy system, if it were a bid.

I guess the system could prevent offers that would not win as bids, but then it just becomes a bidding war and exposes other bidders maximums which would not be a good thing.

Just now, Crosland said:

I wouldn't, for the simple reason you do not know the original bidders maximum.

You could end up accepting an offer that would have been beaten by eBay's proxy system, if it were a bid.

I guess the system could prevent offers that would not win as bids, but then it just becomes a bidding war and exposes other bidders maximums which would not be a good thing.

I take what I think is a pragmatic view on items I sell, firstly I list them for the minimum I think they are worth, I also have an idea of what price I believe they will attain. Now if someone offers on or above this price I will make a decision whether or not to accept the offer.

See the previous two replies, just because plenty are watching your item, they may just be watching what price it sells for. I to have made an offer on an item which was declined, only to buy it at the end of the auction for less. 

I cannot predict what an item will sell for exactly, I know if its over priced it will not sell, on the other hand no one likes to sell something too cheap, as I said if someone offers above what I believe its worth I will consider the offer

Being a seller there is a balance of obtaining the best price and selling it quickly. Also I learnt many years ago some have inflated ideas of what their item is worth, 

In the end, do what you are happy with.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I always put my start price at the minimum I will accept then no need for offers. Most items sell if not I wait till another day that sometimes will then sell but it is my choice if I want to relist cheaper. 

I have had people try to make an offer which I never advertised so politely say "no thanks it is an auction". 

Sellers can loose out at times on offers as recently someone offered a collection of items starting at £2000 but no offers. After two attemps at lower starting prices it got down to £1000 with make an offer added so I offered £650 which was declined. It was then auction only starting at £1.00 and sold this morning for £590 so the seller gambled and lost £60 from my offer. 

The seller always has the chance to say yes or no and it is their perogative

Garry 

8 minutes ago, Silverfox17 said:

I always put my start price at the minimum I will accept then no need for offers. Most items sell if not I wait till another day that sometimes will then sell but it is my choice if I want to relist cheaper. 

I have had people try to make an offer which I never advertised so politely say "no thanks it is an auction". 

Sellers can loose out at times on offers as recently someone offered a collection of items starting at £2000 but no offers. After two attemps at lower starting prices it got down to £1000 with make an offer added so I offered £650 which was declined. It was then auction only starting at £1.00 and sold this morning for £590 so the seller gambled and lost £60 from my offer. 

The seller always has the chance to say yes or no and it is their perogative

Garry 

Garry

I used to think this way as in your first sentence, but realized I was missing opportunities

Firstly like you I list my items at what is the minimum I am happy to sell the item, I don't want any offers below this but I am happy to listen to any offers above my minimum.

The easy solution is to set an auto refusal level at what you think its actually worth. OK you run the risk of selling too cheaply !! as you have said a polite refusal if you feel it has more chance of making a higher final sale price

Sometimes the offers have been far in excess of what I think its worth, I will accept, as you shown sometimes you might get less. I have in the past had an offer declined only to buy it at the end of the auction for less.

Used correctly its a great tool for some but not all sales