Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Crystal Ball thread - Predict the future

• RMweb Gold

Where it is dealt with by local authorities; in the countryside it is ignored at best and at worst promulgated by the gentry who benefit from it.  I would much prefer to be poor in a city than in a rural village or out on a farm.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2020 at 17:56, Steamport Southport said:

One down, four to go....

:sungum:

Im kicking myself over not writing down the obvious. I have said before that the 15xx, GBRF HIA wagons, Caroline inspection saloon and Hardwick for the NRM were all on the to do list but didnt put them down on initial post. I think Lion will follow Rocket, again didnt stick that down! 

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

I think Lion will follow Rocket, again didnt stick that down! 

Actually, I think Northumbrian followed Rocket ;) But you are probably on a safer bet with Lion given its other associations

Might collectors be induced to spend on a range of early locos, I wonder? There are many very distinctive prototypes to model, though I have always thought 7mm a more suitable scale.  

2 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Actually, I think Northumbrian followed Rocket ;) But you are probably on a safer bet with Lion given its other associations

Might collectors be induced to spend on a range of early locos, I wonder? There are many very distinctive prototypes to model, though I have always thought 7mm a more suitable scale.  

I don't think they will. 

Possibly Lion, but I don't think we're suddenly going to get an array of very early locomotives. I feel that we'll just get a few more different sets of Rocket for the next ten or so years up to the anniversary.

I think Locomotion is a possible for the S&D anniversary. But a very remote one.

• RMweb Gold

I  think the 'era 1' period, broadly 1830 to 1860, is a fertile field for modellers as well as collectors.  It was typified by small locos and coaches on short wheelbases, so is compatible with our need for interesting operation in small spaces.  There were what might be thought of as standard locos from outside contractors, Sharpies, Burys, Jennies, Stephonson long boilers etc that could be produced in different liveries.  Many of the new railways bought stock 'off the peg' so the same applies to rolling stock, and as these railways were absorbed into the bigger companies, the stock found it's way into those liveries as well.  They looked like what we consider to be typical toy trains as well; they are of course the origin of the wooden train look.

The past is the future!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Anyone score anything off the Hornby release?

I scored a hit by correctly predicting more pre-grouping stuff, which Hornby have given us in spades. Unfortunately, I somewhat spoiled it by sticking my neck out a bit too far and predicting that Hornby would re-tool their clerestories as part of that. But let's gloss over that bit, eh.

43 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

I scored a hit by correctly predicting more pre-grouping stuff, which Hornby have given us in spades. Unfortunately, I somewhat spoiled it by sticking my neck out a bit too far and predicting that Hornby would re-tool their clerestories as part of that. But let's gloss over that bit, eh.

Miss from me too as I haven't listed any of the stuff that was blatantly obvious. The P2/2 has been coming for ages but thought that was too clear to actually write down. Same with the GBRF coal/biomass that Accurascale have done and others being the HAA, Caroline inspection saloon... all predicted elsewhere in threads before. 

So no scores for me too. 

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Referee!   :warning:

If you are claiming that I'm claiming the SECR E2....

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2021/se-cr-0-6-0-tank-engine-no-326-era-2.html

:sungum:

I don't think we needed Mystic Meg to guess some of them this year....

My predictions for 2020 were about as good as my outdoor veggie patch attempts last year.

this was mine in the 2021 thread, ive highlighted the wins in bold.

Ive had more lottery numbers than that.

My guess is a continued nibble at Replica’s range,  giving LNE /SR a bit of a rest and a smaller range of announcements.

Locos ..

One of GWR Saint, Manor or County 4-6-0 looks obvious.. Manor tooled and ready to go says the cynic in me.

Original Royal Scot.
6202 Turbomotive

84xxx 2-6-2t (too soon imho)

Metal bodied Rebuilt Merchant navy.

stock..
A Stanier Open (completes the set) 

Mk1 64’ suburbans (which gives Hornby a full house of Big 4 & BR in suburban rakes).

6 wheel milk tank (An accurate one)... Express Dairies to join the Morden Ruston.

HEA Wagon .. new tooled.

DBSO (For network rail if using the mk2e/f tooling) or an MLV (Gatwick express if going with 64’ suburbans).

reliveries/renumbers 

Clan re-release

Black 5 (theres always one)

4472 / 4468 (theres always one)

TPE Azuma  

Malachite Green BR Original MN

Some LMS coronation coaches in BR liveries.

Semi-Duchess in BR Maroon

Gatex coaches If an MLV 

Modern Image..

Railroad 31’s in 1990’s colours (Old tooling)

LNER Mk4’s (Old tooling).

Northern 142 (old tooling)

Northern 156 new livery (old tooling)

Greater Anglia class 90 (old tooling)

Greater Anglia mk3’s (old tooling)
90001 in Intercity (old tooling)

Midland Pullman HST

D9016 (Dog old tooling)

73001 / 73002 and a Gatex 73 (if an MLV). (old tooling).

Near misses would be Greater Anglia coaches... got the livery just not the logo And the Deltic, just different number... i was just being down beat on expenditure on modern image.

Still think GA 90 / mk3’s will appear in the Hornby Summer Extra Play.

But I thought we only had five choices?

I'm counting mine as one and a half.   :P

On 07/09/2020 at 13:42, Steamport Southport said:

I normally find that things are announced either when I buy/start a kit or a model kit is released.

GWR 15XX 0-6-0PT - Nucast Partners have reissued it and Warren Shepard have announced an etched kit

LBSC K Class 2-6-0 - Bought one a little while ago. Always seemed to do well in the wishlist

SECR R1 0-6-0T

LBSC E2 0-6-0T 

Something a bit left field - LNER Coronation set

Jason

• 2 months later...

Predicted Lion on the back of the Rocket announcement on the Hornby 2020 thread. Didn't put it here. Another example of me listing things that I think are some way off here but probably to be done... 

Guess thats another shot on target and saved... drat... 

• RMweb Gold

In no particular order... 

Tasmanian Garrett

SAR NG15

SAR NG13, and/or NG16

Plus, of course, the coaches, wagons, etc.  As the choice recedes,  I can foresee the 'players' descending on 009 in a big way.  Who? I wouldn't honestly know, but there's money in them thar wallets....