The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that confirm your age

Guest Jack Benson

Clearly a conspiracy to dispose of evidence. No stone building had ever previously burned down as a result of a poorly managed fire. And engravings taken shortly afterwards show no sign of the remains of any so-called "tally sticks" in the wreckage. 

From the UK Parliament website.

"Answers provided to Parliamentary Questions on 9 November and 2 December 2015 clarified that the House of Lords managed the contract for, and was responsible for the cost of, printing record copies of Acts and purchasing vellum.

On 20 April 2016 the House of Commons agreed a motion instructing the Clerk of the House to convey to the Lords that the Commons “has withheld its consent to the use of archival paper rather than vellum for the printing of record copies of public Acts of Parliament”. James Gray MP, the Member who had secured the debate, said that he hoped the Lords “will listen carefully to the views” of the Commons.

Printing on archival paper

The Chairman of Committees of the House of Lords wrote to the Chair of the House of Commons Administration Committee on 4 May 2016 regarding the implications of the Commons vote. He wrote that: “We are persuaded that printing on archival paper is a more appropriate use of public funds, and that the case for continuing to print on vellum is not made”. He added that if the Commons wished to arrange a contract for printing record copies of Acts on vellum, then the Lords would share experience of managing the legacy contract to assist with this. However, the Lords “does not wish to contribute financially to any future printing on vellum”.

On 23 January 2017, the House of Commons Commission agreed that it would provide front and back vellum covers for record copies of Acts. The House of Lords would retain responsibility for the printing of the record copies of Acts."

Yet more evidence of a complete lack of ability to make a simple decision.

Julian

• Informative/Useful 4

For me, realisation of my age came with reflecting on my father and in particular some things that he had started to do 'when he was getting on a bit' (as I thought of it). At that point it occurred to me that I was several years older than he had been when he died. Hmmm....

DSC

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I've long since passed the age Dad retired, (through ill health ) and I'm still working!!!

Mind you he retired 30 odd years ago and is still going... (just)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Going to a bus rally and seeing not one but two of the buses I went to school on now preserved!

Indeed a third has just been acquired for preservation and is currently being restored too!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Going to a radar  museum and seeing the stuff I worked on on display, not like the stuff I worked on, but the actual pieces  of equipment I worked on..

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Going to a bus rally and seeing not one but two of the buses I went to school on now preserved!

Indeed a third has just been acquired for preservation and is currently being restored too!

Photos please.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Going to a radar  museum and seeing the stuff I worked on on display, not like the stuff I worked on, but the actual pieces  of equipment I worked on..

That had to be a feel-good situation.

• RMweb Premium

I went to the Southampton City Transport Cenetenary Rally in '79 and two of the guest preserved buses were ones I had used to and from school in the early '60s, both showing appropriate route blinds (United Counties 63 and 141) on a Bristol single decker and Lodekka respectively.  In the early 2000s I regularly attended Xmas events at Amberley Chalk Pits Museum.  They had a display of consumer electricals ("brown goods") including the Sobell radio model we had at home when I was very small (c1950), the Perdio portable radio I had as a teenager  and the Sony Trinitron colour TV model I had bought second hand in about '86 and had passed on to an enthusiast in 2000. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John M Upton said:

One of my mates at work tracked down and bought the bus he rode to school in Wellingborough in the '70s, he's busy restoring it now!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/09/2020 at 11:42, Hroth said:

Anyone remember the BBC Domesday Project?  Created in the mid 80s, it was a curated snapshot of life in the UK at that moment. Stored on laser disks, and controlled/displayed using a BBC Micro, 35 years later even if you have the disks, computer, software and a suitable laser disk player, the data is unrecoverable.

Why is it unrecoverable?

Read here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Domesday_Project

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, petethemole said:

and the Sony Trinitron colour TV model I had bought second hand in about '86 and had passed on to an enthusiast in 2000. 

Upstairs I still have the early National colour TV (when Panasonic didn’t want to use their name too obviously). Still works, although takes a while to warm up

All the best

Katy

• Like 3

Things that confirm my age?

Because of the young idiots partying most nights with no respect of Covid 19,  today,  as an old vulnerable person I have been told (again)  to stay at home.

Meanwhile,  down at the pubs and restaurants  the same young partying idiots are carrying on as usual.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Why is it unrecoverable?

Read here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Domesday_Project

As the article says, there have been a number of attempts to access the data on the disks, and working snapshots have been created that don't rely on an actual Laserdisk/player/BBC Micro/software solution. The community disk is a particular decoding minefield for other solutions.  Its good to see that The Centre For Computing History has a working original system. I was mainly thinking of the deterioration of disks that had been kept in less than archival conditions and the rarity of working laserdisk players, BBC micros and the support software to display the disk content.

The other problem area, apart from the hardware/spftware chain is that of copyright. Again, as the article says:

In addition to preserving the project, untangling the copyright issues also presents a significant challenge. In addition to copyright surrounding the many contributions made by the estimated 1 million people who took part in the project, there are also copyright issues that relate to the technologies employed. It is likely that the Domesday Project will not be completely free of copyright restrictions until at least 2090 (assuming no further extensions of copyright terms)

I expect the major US copyright drivers will push that date further into the long grass...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, NorthBrit said:

Things that confirm my age?

Because of the young idiots partying most nights with no respect of Covid 19,  today,  as an old vulnerable person I have been told (again)  to stay at home.

Meanwhile,  down at the pubs and restaurants  the same young partying idiots are carrying on as usual.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm in the same boat.

So far my journeys out have been: Take missus to hairdresser (twice) B&Q (twice), Screwfix (once) rubbish tip (once).

Off to the GP tomorrow for a flu jab and that's it.

I would love to get out more but I'm apprehensive.

I've got to take my car for it's first MOT next month and the garage is slightly out of the way. I normally jump on a bus to somewhere while it's being done but now I'm very concerned about going as the garage comes under Solihull which is on tighter measures.

Every time a young person is interviewed on TV they claim it's not their fault, unfortunately the data says otherwise.

IMHO they need a big kick up the ass

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, TheQ said:

I visited the computer museum at Bletchley many years ago.  I was somewhat amused to find that one of the exhibits was a PC which was the successor model to the one I was using at home on a regular basis.

Adrian 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, figworthy said:

I visited the computer museum at Bletchley many years ago.  I was somewhat amused to find that one of the exhibits was a PC which was the successor model to the one I was using at home on a regular basis.

Adrian 

I some time would like to revisit Bletchley Park,  the museums and exhibits weren't there when I was there before. I lived there for a year, training in what I now know was originally  an enigma decoding room. Had things been different I could have built my first computer a UK101 there instead of at RAF Locking. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, TheQ said:

I some time would like to revisit Bletchley Park,  the museums and exhibits weren't there when I was there before. I lived there for a year, training in what I now know was originally  an enigma decoding room. Had things been different I could have built my first computer a UK101 there instead of at RAF Locking. 

The National Museum of Computing here  and Bletchley Park here are now separate entities.

You need a different ticket for each.

(they had a falling out a few years back!

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1