Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Alister_G said:

Nice work Jeff, I like the base colouring you have so far.

Al.

Cheers Al. The wash is a mix - in roughly (emphasis on rough!!) equal proportions of Woodland Scenics Stone Grey, Burnt Umber and Raw Umber, diluted about 10-15 to 1.

Bit of "bucket chemistry" really - chuck it in and see what colour comes out!

• Like 5

Evening Jeff. My first post since RMWeb hit the buffers...

Regarding realistic modelling, I know the thread you allude to. I think they should stick to astronomy rather than  boring us on here with miles of drystone walling, static grass and viaducts. And they never seem to run any trains. And they keep building stuff, then chuck it all away. 

Anyway, how's things Jeff? 

To brighten up things, here's something I saw a couple of days ago...

PS As a former teacher Jeff, you should know the answer to your question about being honest.

P1310787 (5).JPG

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Greetings Peter.

Glad to see your humour hasn't changed, despite the lull in posting.

I know exactly what you mean about the honesty issue. Some of us try to make a stand, but you sometimes wonder why you bother.

Anyway, off my soap box and off to dad's to watch a 1963 episode of The Outer Limits.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pics showing the state of play after today's efforts.

The railway road-deck and arch liner have now been glued in place. Aside from the arch ring and immediately surrounding area, all the required stones have been fitted to the front and back faces of the bridge and received a mortar gunge. I'll fit stones to the inside of the parapets tomorrow and fit some copings. Then I'll get the arch rings sorted. 

20220503_190324.jpg.7582b9807e861d9e87a93202f229746e.jpg

20220503_190421.jpg.ba4b00a9de824059a198c7c2a3eec05a.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

Excellent work as always Jeff. 👍

I am looking forward to seeing how you are going to construct the arch ring. 

All this additional walling and bridge construction, I am sure you are becoming a Dasaholic 😂

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Steve, you're correct.....it's 23.20 and I've just had to go and roll another 14 DAS strips to keep the building going tomorrow.

The underbridge is using stones at a prodigious rate!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

I love the way your viaducts and bridges result in such realism and knowing now how you build them (and every individual stone) you must have the patience of a saint which I clearly lack. Keep up the excellent work.

Regards, 

Brian. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I know your doing the bridge at the moment but captured this shot the other day and thought it might prove useful when you return to the viaduct.

I thought it was very evocative of what you are trying to create.

IMG_20220502_105805.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

I know your doing the bridge at the moment but captured this shot the other day and thought it might prove useful when you return to the viaduct.

I thought it was very evocative of what you are trying to create.

IMG_20220502_105805.jpg

Thanks for the pic - nice location!

There's always something growing anywhere there is water. Hard to find (I have a few) pics of the Gill near the viaduct, so your image will come in handy.

Having decided the Gill was "wet" enough, it's now had 2 small top-ups in the last couple of days. Still mostly rocks - will do another mm or so of gel tomorrow and show some pics.

When the whole lot has properly hardened (not long at current temperatures) I'll start putting a bit of vegetation in - including some of the grass clumps you have in your pic.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Brian D said:

I love the way your viaducts and bridges result in such realism and knowing now how you build them (and every individual stone) you must have the patience of a saint which I clearly lack. Keep up the excellent work.

Regards, 

Brian. 

You've hit the nail right on the head(s) there, Brian.....

Both things you mention - patience and realism - feed off each other, reinforcing themselves and urging me on.

If I knew the end result was likely to be poor, my patience would probably be non-existent. Seeing the whole thing come together encourages a "go on, another 200 stones today" attitude!

Doesn't always work out, though. The first hour of stone cladding on the front face of the bridge ended up in the bin. Hard to explain why, but it just didn't look "right". So 100 stones into the bin and start again...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pics from today.

The internal faces of the parapet have been clad in stone and copings sat on top. Doesn't look much, but it comes to nearly 300 stones.

When all is set it'll be ready for a mortar coating - as will the whole thing. Yesterday's quick bit of mortar "goo" (PVA/DAS mix) worked well, so it'll be repeated in a few days time.

20220504_183352.jpg.4c57b57abcf025eb16c72e9c0706ef07.jpg

20220504_184131.jpg.1d15673dc615e768b7afac52a5ac6463.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

29 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Thanks for the pic - nice location!

There's always something growing anywhere there is water. Hard to find (I have a few) pics of the Gill near the viaduct, so your image will come in handy.

Having decided the Gill was "wet" enough, it's now had 2 small top-ups in the last couple of days. Still mostly rocks - will do another mm or so of gel tomorrow and show some pics.

When the whole lot has properly hardened (not long at current temperatures) I'll start putting a bit of vegetation in - including some of the grass clumps you have in your pic.

Glad it's of help. It's from roughly the same area, Dove Stone Reservoir, so figured it might appeal.

Let me know if you want some more and I'll see what I can do as we go there regularly.

Edited by Winslow Boy

• RMweb Premium

The front arch ring and surrounding area has been fitted today. This took me over 2 hours as I endeavoured to build the voussoirs (ring stones) to interlock with the surrounding stones, as on the prototype.

20220505_183341.jpg.9edd3afd1da7b71ae70c91344db1f6e5.jpg

EDIT: The whole area will need rubbing down and mortaring - so slight differences in stone thickness and gaps will generally fill in.

20220505_183350.jpg.032a70d618e83ad84650177ca65d0079.jpg

1884829751_298070_2019-05-02_KNu_BU_Elevation-NW-02vsint.jpg.7d7214527db6cc1776e30b5d9d652727.jpg

Pleased to also get the voussoirs to align with the stonework in the under-arch-liner.

726036327_20220505_161257rs.jpg.ad7388c35c356302f4351fc09af754ae.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 12
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chipster said:

Pleased to also get the voussoirs to align with the stonework in the under-arch-liner.

That is just showing off!!!

I would say 2+ hours well spent.

Excellent work young Jeff.

Evening Chip.

As my "walling correspondent-in- chief" I appreciate your comments. I gave you a "funny" rather than a "thank you" as I realise you're pulling my leg about the showing off.

Always good to push yourself and not settle for mediocrity. Those arch ring voussoirs were driving me bloody mad this afternoon and more than a few ended up tossed into the bin - which stands 18" to the side of where I work. Yesterday, Brian said I had the patience of a saint. Not sure if saints know some of the profanities I've been uttering over the last couple of days!

Simon and Garfunkel must have got their lyric "I hear words I never read in the Bible" (Got to keep the customer satisfied, Bridge over Troubled Water album) from walking past my Bunker! 

And btw, I hope you approve of the new-style ( "improved") walling?

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

Well worth the effort. You know that it's as right as it can be given the size and the materials. 

It is something that is quite noticeable on a model when courses don't line up, or there's gaps on corners, or the courses haven't been continued onto edges etc.

I know it's only a little thing,, but it's often the little things that spoil the illusion of reality.

KBO.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Well worth the effort. You know that it's as right as it can be given the size and the materials. 

It is something that is quite noticeable on a model when courses don't line up, or there's gaps on corners, or the courses haven't been continued onto edges etc.

I know it's only a little thing,, but it's often the little things that spoil the illusion of reality.

KBO.

Agree entirely, Rob. 

Sometimes we are our own worst enemies in the quest to "get it right". There are at least 5 stones in those images that I'll be replacing tomorrow, to hopefully improve things further.

May as well do it now, before final mortaring, rubbing down and painting. Nothing worse than looking at something you know could have been better. This is NOT obsessional, as we know there's a limit to what can be done. But if it CAN be improved, WITHIN YOUR SKILL LEVEL, why not do it?

Question 1 again.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Exactly, I tend to be dissatisfied with anything I have taken a short cut with when I know that I could have made a better job of it. If you don't push yourself, you'll never improve and inevitably become frustrated. I draw the line with the likes of building interiors. Can you see inside? Is that side of the building facing the front of the layout? And other logical questions. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Rowsley17D said:

Thought for a moment it was a pile of empty Das packets. Intrigued.

That's a very good guess, Jonathan.

Just opening the 28th 1kg pack of DAS that I've used on Gill Head.

Proper pics coming very shortly!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pics 1/2, front of underbridge, as it stands. Pics 3/4 - rear of bridge, arch ring etc done today. Pic 5 - location of bridge when in use.

1227638415_20220506_185639crrs.jpg.759a4f4a49545ed423f2580b5f2b5a55.jpg

1483813670_20220506_185653crrs.jpg.d868505ac9bdc02402a13cadce07f85c.jpg

770729588_20220506_185715crrs.jpg.77bdc8f76ef29440b5075ad432ce7d32.jpg

271708746_20220506_185724crrs.jpg.055a19bc905477788eb6893ab876bc00.jpg

162262526_20220506_185942rs.jpg.8be0ef2609c4b4488f722975b8c08740.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7