Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Call it daft if you must but I think we've all done it...

I put cows on Goathland when I first joined the forum 12 years ago. Someone quickly reminded me that it should have been sheep, so I went a bit far with the theme. First having the flock overrun the station and finally causing mayhem by taking a J52 class for a joyride!

In another incident I had to call in two para to deal with a huge potato bug that I found on the Abbey ruins. There's nothing wrong with having a bit of fun on here from time to time otherwise we run the risk of becoming "Rivet Counters"!

Regards Shaun.   

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2022 at 23:11, Physicsman said:

I strongly believe that if the prototype has stood the test of time then it's probably as "right" as it's likely to be, in its particular situation.

So WHY, WHY, WHY make up something that is likely to be a contrived Bog's todger of a mess? 

Yes, people are free to make their own choices, but they then shouldn't expect others to try and dig them out of a mess when they inevitably get into one. My first attempt on KL proves that - only an idiot would have bodged the turnout "arrangement" I invented!!

And Steve, as for DAS....just about to open pack 30 on this layout. I'm out of 2.5mm grass, low on PVA, no more DAS after the next pack. Things are getting desperate!

Best way of learning in my experience is to do things that you then realise are idiotic.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Best way of learning in my experience is to do things that you then realise are idiotic.

Simon, I agree that learning by experience is always the best way. 

But my point was that making up completely fictitious layouts often leads to problems. If you don't mind dealing with problems, fine, but there are plenty of varied prototypes, for all the different rail companies to keep anyone going for a lifetime.

How is your cat doing, btw? Hopefully still fit and healthy.

Edited by Physicsman
Tablet word substitution
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Simon, I agree that learning by experience is always the best way. 

But my point was that making up completely fictitious layouts often leads to problems. If you don't mind dealing with problems, fine, but there are plenty of varied prototypes, for all the different rail companies to keep anyone going for a lifetime.

How is your cat doing, btw? Hopefully still fit and healthy.

That was one of my reasons for looking to a prototype layout too, someone's had to figure out how to make it work for real. Plus there's learning what things are there for what reason. I can appreciate the desire to tweak or add to or remove from the real thing (maybe for space, maybe to just get what you want), which is where I'd definitely make those blunders.

Cat's very well thanks, even if she's turned in to a complete and utter wimp with the weather (won't set foot outside if there's a raindrop sighted within five miles).

• Like 3

Completely fictitious layouts can be a problem if you are throwing the entire rule book out of the window, but only if you're trying to pass the results off as a plausible might have been, rather than an example of my railway, my rules.

I like the challenge of creating something credible, even if it never existed. I cheated slightly in that the place I set my layout did have a proposal and actual plans for a railway. I've visited the area numerous times to work out the location and necessary civil engineering, but mostly I have relied on documented railway practice as relevant to the line I am modelling.

There are a number of real locations that I would love to model without compromise, but until I have something like a double garage to build it in, I'm happy with what I'm doing and trying to make it as convincing and realistic as possible.

Speaking of realism, we stopped for a walk the other day and once again the surroundings made me think of your layout.

Just to give some Idea of scale, that tree is about 12-15 feet tall!

IMG_20220530_161640.jpg.f0c27fcb1d602d2baecde08b7964fb06.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Completely fictitious layouts can be a problem if you are throwing the entire rule book out of the window, but only if you're trying to pass the results off as a plausible might have been, rather than an example of my railway, my rules.

I like the challenge of creating something credible, even if it never existed. I cheated slightly in that the place I set my layout did have a proposal and actual plans for a railway. I've visited the area numerous times to work out the location and necessary civil engineering, but mostly I have relied on documented railway practice as relevant to the line I am modelling.

There are a number of real locations that I would love to model without compromise, but until I have something like a double garage to build it in, I'm happy with what I'm doing and trying to make it as convincing and realistic as possible.

Speaking of realism, we stopped for a walk the other day and once again the surroundings made me think of your layout.

Rob, WHERE was that? Impressive.

Surely not your back garden?!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I must say Rob that's a pretty impressive piece of modelling. You say that tree is 15 feet or should that be 4.40m tall😋 so what's the cliff 70 feet. I thought you didn't have much room at your new chateau.

• Funny 4

36 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Rob, WHERE was that? Impressive.

Surely not your back garden?!

It's a disused quarry at Warton Crag, a few miles from Carnforth. The stone was taken out over several centuries to build drystone walls, roads, to make cement and build the village itself. The rest of it is a natural limestone formation with large fissures across the surface.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warton_Crag

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

33 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I must say Rob that's a pretty impressive piece of modelling. You say that tree is 15 feet or should that be 4.40m tall😋 so what's the cliff 70 feet. I thought you didn't have much room at your new chateau.

We don't, it's full of @#£& rocks....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The stone was taken out over several centuries to build drystone walls, 

I think Jeff has used most of it on his last three layouts 😂.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Part way through work on the other end of the tunnel, so an intermediate picture update.

Walling, grassing and portal fascia work is still in progress. And there's a rock face being cast for the left side of the portal.

More in a few days when things have progressed a bit!

351564443_20220531_223733crrs.jpg.9093e0b3bdefa7b77ce2665a44fd8e7c.jpg

120315800_20220531_223755crrs.jpg.5ae2838be54bea40c59ebf053e545d6a.jpg

1562598642_20220531_223823cr.jpg.a31c327bbd3fbf6cf36806c0a72c75fc.jpg

134493045_20220601_131634cr.jpg.79aad6f22850efa2e3ca622de0a62bce.jpg

678289924_20220601_141826cr.jpg.d4026e7f8e77e29277a415e386846dff.jpg

1838684680_20220601_141945crrs.jpg.ccaaea2247f441a7a565b931c5bcf9db.jpg

1946233570_20220601_142050cr.jpg.42f6e891756f22c45defcaa5e29ef6f2.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

This waterfall and pool is to be found closer to the S&C.

WP_20200502_13_54_25_Pro.jpg.3a9fd39a0f57854bf990e2595eb22a2e.jpg

Hidden away in the middle of totally different terrain.

WP_20200502_13_38_27_Pro.jpg.b357e4648a6d4a85b5f4741c79be4f23.jpg

It's down in the valley just around the left-hand bend.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, teaky said:

😀 Is the farmer taking his pig for a walk or trying to talk it down?

"Pig" is a law unto himself.....

The great static grass gun, followed by the vacuum cleaner, was threatening animal misery. The cows on the bridge were quick to respond and leg it, but not pig"

So to save him the ultimate roller coaster ride, up the vacuum pipe, the farmer had one last word accompanied by his trusty sheepdog.... "Get down, Shep" (some of you will be old enough to know where that comes from)

Then the "hand of god" descended and plucked the pink skin to safety. Awkward, ungrateful little sod. All he had to say to me, for saving his pork, was "oink you very much"

Pig and Sheep will return - soon.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Since that worked, here's another:

I'm only "pratting around" with these for my own amusement, but they show a bit more than photos, so I may as well put them on here. The loco and wagons were just convenient. At least it gives an idea about the viaduct, gill etc.

Maybe some steamers later in the year.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

No locos, just views of the deep cutting, viaduct - including the arches seen from the gill - and the underbridge to the tunnel.

I hope this lot will keep you happy for a few days. At least it's something to look at other than photos!!

Jeff.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Good Morning Jeff

Simply put "Bloody Fantastic"

It was only on the 3rd video when I noticed the "run down" bits of wall and it looks absolutely superb.

10/10 for effort and 11/10 for results!

Chip

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Chip, Ade, Jonathan....

Many thanks for the comments. 

I started work on the second tunnel portal yesterday (the fascia at the front) and wanted to double check the clearances. It's about 6 months (!!!!!) since I ran a loco, and I grabbed a few wagons and off we went. Then it occurred to me that it might be worth a few quick vids, in addition to the thousands of "snaps" I've taken - hence the result.

Bit of fun and informative for me as well.

Hope to make progress with the portal today and get that tunnel area tidied up by the end of the weekend.

Pics will follow....

Edited by Physicsman
Spelling
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

I know it's been a long time since I've dropped by, but I have been quietly watching and enjoying your progress!
I really like the new tunnel and road bridge, and the walls you remade (crazy man!) do look much more natural. Speaking of which, I think the videos, as short as they are, really emphasise the sheer amount of dry stone walling on the layout even further - as well as the effectiveness of the undulating terrain. It's also great to see some trains running - I can only assume that you're like me and enjoy the scenery side of the hobby perhaps a little more than running trains, but it's got to be satisfying to watch them run around the layout and navigate the various features; particularly across the viaduct and winding their way through the numerous cuttings. Something that caught my eye in recent posts were the short retaining walls either side of the tunnel mouth - a nice detail!

I know you'd probably like me to have some suggestions, but honestly I'm just enjoying your progress a lot, and it's interesting to see how seamlessly you are able to blend in new with old. Even if you're not as keen on operating as you are working on scenery, I'm surprised you don't seem to just relax for an hour just watching the trains go by - if I had this space and layout, I certainly wouldn't be able to stop myself! I've been thinking recently about my next layout, and my current thought is to split it into two parts - a small shunting layout that is exhibitable, and a larger home layout in the bedroom that would more likely be semi-permanent (1 - I wouldn't be able to fit it in my car, and 2, I think it would be too big to exhibit solo!). I enjoy small shunting layouts, but there's something about being able to really put a lot of focus into the scenery, and thus watch a train in the landscape. It's a tricky balance, this hobby!

All the best,
Jamie

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

In the previous post Jam suggested I was a crazy man re. all the walling.

He is, of course, by my own admission, correct. Especially as all the walling within the confines of the layout (about 20k stones, or 10 metres) has been completely re-done in the "new" style, as those of you - desiring a "padded cell fun fest" - who regularly look on here will know!

Ok, well I think the video below illustrates the walling fetish better than words. The "old" (middle of 2021) style walling that remained is along the backscene boards - about 6 metres of it. All the rest is replacement. And some coping stones and paint wash still needs adding in.

Anyway, hope you find this ditty of interest.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Jeff, have you found any drystone walling on the Moon yet? Just wondering...

I was due to go there last week with Elon Musk's outfit, but TUI double-booked me, so I had to give up my seat.

Pity, I could have done with a couple of weeks of non-stop rays....

And the air-fare came out cheaper than all those packs of DAS I've been buying.

• Funny 8