Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Chipster said:

Now then Jeff, 

Just a quick look in whilst on my break heading south, but I think the train is in Europe, IE:- driving on the right?

Probably totally wrong as that has something to do with the loco!

Chip.

Correct!

The loco is actually on the down line when, heading south, it should be on the up line.

Reason? It was already on the down and I couldn't be bothered to switch everything on to change lines. I'm just being a lazy bu99er!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So, having corrected that "error".....

It's a lovely sunny morning as the 07.14 from Long Meg passes the box on its journey south - on the Up line - via Gill Head.

The Borg have clearly attacked overnight as the station building has been ripped away from the station area in the background. I'll ask them to return it before the next exciting update!

And btw, work continues on the building - which is the real reason it ain't there!

1267983797_20220630_135720cr.thumb.jpg.7be18db53b39b07aaec4acad435b7cc5.jpg

1646332655_20220630_135833cr.thumb.jpg.2149fc77e83c150d1ad0766cc5f746c3.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
Cropped the pics
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I'm glad my station area is signalled for wrong line working.

Signals - another thing that will need doing. After all the other stuff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Signals - another thing that will need doing. After all the other stuff.

Well you're ready catered for in that department! Wizard is your friend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Well you're ready catered for in that department! Wizard is your friend.

I might consider MSE but it's not a priority. I enjoy scratchbuilding but my enthusiasm for it has reached saturation at the moment.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

The main body of the roof is now tiled and the 2 long pieces stuck in place. That allowed the gable sections to also be glued into postion - these will be tiled tomorrow.

1826183841_20220630_193909rs.thumb.jpg.f8c4609b760648ec2c42fdd9d764f212.jpg

651262497_20220630_193919rs.thumb.jpg.273b28ad45b7c9691b4806207e461836.jpg

20220630_194702.thumb.jpg.7593015e6da668b234a07aeace1f9e59.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of posts to keep Ade, and any other "picture watchers" happy.....

So, in the TELLYTUBBY "again again again again again...." style of one or two on the Forum, I present:

"It's a lovely sunny morning as the 07.14 from Long Meg arrives at Gill Head station....." (Different angles of the same thing may follow, according to Tinky Winky)

944933116_20220630_194359cr.thumb.jpg.2743fc8532697a5870db78265efee248.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

On a more serious note, I've spent the last 90 minutes tiling the large gable roofing to the rear of the station.

Once the PVA is set, the ends of the strips will be trimmed and "lead" channelling fitted along the gable-main roof join.

20220701_144254.thumb.jpg.ff6b6e09974579605a9ec91734e158c3.jpg

20220701_144421.thumb.jpg.fc78266d5801b0d59944dad2c8bd55d3.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, there's no accounting for the standard of the passengers these days and some will do anything to avoid the fare....

"Hey, pig, dat woz a graat ideur of yurs tur git away befor they sheer me or tek u tur the ab-boudoir..."

"Shut it. Eets the abba-toir: they plaze nice moosic b4 they topz yur: SOS, mamma mia....but im avin nun of thaat..... Tells u wot - it woz quite a jump ontur this wagun. But weel be on our way zoon"

504546561_20220630_194336cr.thumb.jpg.9eecf9a4fcc2fd5a15ae2a01b929da98.jpg

"yeh, my fust treep darn sarf. Teekit sed Long Meg tur Ampsher, neer Pompey. I dunt like Amsters....."

"yep, Yeastlee, viur Trewithen - oar sum stoopid name. I urd the seenury is inturestin darn thair. Mi mate, Pigeena, sez it luks like the zurfiss of the moon"

"weel just ave tur wait and zee, wunt wee?"

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

Coming along nicely Jeff, amazing the time it takes to do a top drawer job.

Ade

22 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

That really does show a lot of patience

I quite enjoy it! As Rob (Teaky) implies, I MUST be nuts, or going that way....BUT if you want something doing (or you try to do it) properly, it just takes a lot of time.

I built the majority of the station building in 2018 for the previous layout. When that was ripped up I just couldn't face all the faffing with tiles etc, and it's been left for 4 years. Now, with the will to get the job done, I've made pretty good progress in 3 days. Hopefully I can get the building "finished" in the next ten days or so.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, teaky said:

Looks like that roof tiling has finally tipped Jeff over the edge folks! 🤪

Enough to tip anyone over the edge. It's not the sticking down it's the marking up and scribing all those lines! Mrs. S. was about ready to call the men in white coats after I did that warehouse roof!!🤫

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Physicsman said:

I quite enjoy it! As Rob (Teaky) implies, I MUST be nuts, or going that way....BUT if you want something doing (or you try to do it) properly, it just takes a lot of time.

The trade hasn't got much to offer when it comes to slate roofing. I always look at shipping times and think to myself "I'll have that made from some waste envelopes before it arrives in the post... and save a pretty penny into the bargain".

Like you say Jeff if you want something doing right, knuckle down and do it yourself. Once you get the hang of roofing, you'll never consider buying it ever again!!   Did you see that L&Y warehouse roof I did over the Christmas. Pure insanity.

Lovely work as always Jeff.

Regards Shaun   

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments lads, some good points there:

1 hour ago, Dragonboy said:

Given the extreme weather in your modelled area I was wondering if you had considered one or two slipped slates?

Brian

Brian, must admit that I hadn't thought about slipped slates. Degraded walling in the fields would have been common, but from all the photos I've seen of the Midland railway, S&C included (even to the late 70s), great care was taken with structural maintenance. So a slipped tile would probably have been sorted out, pronto.

Of course, that's just my justification for not having thought of it in the first place!

6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

The trade hasn't got much to offer when it comes to slate roofing. I always look at shipping times and think to myself "I'll have that made from some waste envelopes before it arrives in the post... and save a pretty penny into the bargain".

Like you say Jeff if you want something doing right, knuckle down and do it yourself. Once you get the hang of roofing, you'll never consider buying it ever again!!   Did you see that L&Y warehouse roof I did over the Christmas. Pure insanity.

Lovely work as always Jeff.

Regards Shaun   

The scribing is a bit tedious - my tiles are 6 x 4 mm, allowing a mm overlap in the vertical direction. Approximates to the number of times visible on the pics.

The main issue then becomes the painting, as the acrylic washes I use tend to shy away in places where PVA has (inevitably) got into the tile surface.

But as with all things, there's a great deal of satisfaction from doing a decent job of something. And I must have a look at your warehouse....

And I'm not answering the door if Mrs S has sent the hit squad from Oregon (or are you in Washington state?)!!

J.

Edited by Physicsman
Typo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

All the images were lost back in March when the site went down. (I must find time to start re-uploading some).

Anyway, I just popped out to the garage...

IMG_2220.JPG.3311e4b0bfb3b09ec9fc05722a314068.JPG

If all the slates weren't enough to drive me nuts, I went ahead and made all the framing, from real Oregon lumber too!

IMG_2224.JPG.584ddbb6252ee201bdf108254deb5a61.JPG

I've been meaning to ask if you're you planning another layout Jeff? I was wondering because they're hauling truckloads of logs past our house😆

Hope that you're well 

Regards Shaun 

Edited by Sasquatch
Didn't insert image
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Shaun, it's nice to see there are other modellers who are as nuts as me. Excellent work - the size of most British layouts!

Good to hear about the logs. They are due here next week!!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks! There's a whole town planned about 30', some American kits will be employed of which I plan to anglicise  with slate rooves and of course there's all the housing, pubs, mills etc. When I made a couple of terraces and some semis of course I did paper slates! Shame the lunster thing faded away, I felt right at home there!

You should season that lumber BTW, otherwise you'll find cracks in your scenery one day down the road!

Shaun 

• Like 1

Hi Jeff, I have been caught up with other things and not been around here for a while now. Not even a quick lurk!

Things have moved along nicely and it is good to see the station buildings reappear. I wondered a bit about the tunnel when I first saw it (too short, too shallow) but in following the build I could see that it made sense. The road bridge has come out well too. I had some questions about the stonework, but a closer look at the prototype pics showed that we both share a very close eye for detail. What looked like an improbable detail was indeed found on the prototype. 

Having lived in Australia for most of my life, I can’t really comment on the greenery. It looks way too green for my uncalibrated eye. Things are as green as they get here at the moment, but nothing like in the UK. But I’ll have that sorted in a two or three weeks. We fly out on Thursday to Scotland to see my Mum and I have a side trip all arranged.  Three nights in Dent, just down from the viaduct. I’ll be having a close look around and let you know where the prototype got it wrong...

Any suggestions as to interesting things to see and do will be gratefully received. (Including local ales.)

Cheers, Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil.

Very pleased to hear that your long-planned visit to the UK is about to take place. Irrespective of railways, you'll enjoy yourself for family reasons. The world has "shrunk" over the years but 16,000km from Melbourne to here still makes me think!

I think you'll also have a good time in Dentdale, though I hope the British weather will have settled a bit by the time you get here. It's warm enough at the moment (though 20C may seem cold by Melbourne standards!), but it is SO bl**dy windy!!

Do have a walk to both Dent Head and Arten Gill viaducts and any tipple in the local hostelries will go down a treat. A journey further down the line to look at Ribblehead viaduct would be great, but given the number of services on the line, a taxi might be a better option.

If anybody else wishes to chip in here and offer suggestions, please do so.

As for Gill Head - I seem to have built quite a few structures of late, and the incomplete station building may soon be "finished". I think you may be surprised as you re-acquaint yourself with this very green and pleasant land!

Jeff

• Like 3

I do like those bargeboards and the herringbone door panels. All details that add to the sense of place.

I know it's a way off yet but any thoughts on how to go about modelling the wall lanterns?