Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ramrig said:

In response to some of the above posts.

I think we are looking at some of the best and most realistic scenic modelling, I have seen in a long time. Jeff has taken his time building a fantastic viaduct using individually shaped DAS stones, metres and metres of dry stone walls using individual DAS stones and static grass and foliage to create amazing embankments and all the discussions are about painted clouds, which are minor to the overall picture.

I for one applauded what you have achieved and look forward to seeing this layout develop further in the coming years. 
I also look forward to seeing Hell Ghyll sidings and your dioramas come to life in the coming months and the display of your 00 stock.

I completely agree that the clouds are a minor thing, I was just trying to add some constructive criticism and that's all I could see to criticise! (bearing in mind a post a page or two ago). It really is a wonderful layout.

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The ground under the viaduct and bare backscene through the arches are the only thing that detracts. All 3 images top drawer stuff.

Edited by AdeMoore
Bit o text added
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

The ground under the viaduct and bare backscene through the arches are the only thing that detracts. All 3 images top drawer stuff.

Yes Ade, I agree about the ground and arch view.

The ground under the arches has been sorely neglected, but now I've got the embankments/cutting sorted I can progress to that.

There is a removable board behind the viaduct - in front of the main backscene - and I'll do something about that.

Of course, my next project is actually the first diorama which will take the next few weeks. I haven't got the boards yet, but started breaking up DAS strips into bits this afternoon....for the diorama wall. I mean, c'mon, can I have anything built without SOME DAS in it?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
SSSSSSpppppeLLing!
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

I took these pictures under a viaduct near Dent last year if it is of some inspiration.

IMG_20210612_161826.jpg.464cbfb8bad37e3d620bdf22eb8cca55.jpg

IMG_20210612_161615.jpg.89f426d02742c08322cba8b3ff4c2708.jpg

IMG_20210612_161558.jpg.e04230443a8b7bc55c55ce4c24f20449.jpg

IMG_20210612_161544.jpg.4b11534747c857abad42a90880867252.jpg

The bridge is an oddity, it's part of the original road which was realigned and a new, larger bridge built when the viaduct arrived. Disused for about 150 years apparently. I can't remember exactly which bridge it is, we'd pulled up on the motorcycles for a breather and to check if our teeth were loose!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Very effective modelling, Jeff, very effective.

With most of your stock apparently still 16.5mm gauge, do you ever regret going for EM? Just a wondering.

And in my usual pedantic mode, don't forget the headlamps on the front of the loco.
But if that's all I have to moan about, your modelling must be good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I took these pictures under a viaduct near Dent last year if it is of some inspiration.

IMG_20210612_161826.jpg.464cbfb8bad37e3d620bdf22eb8cca55.jpg

IMG_20210612_161615.jpg.89f426d02742c08322cba8b3ff4c2708.jpg

IMG_20210612_161558.jpg.e04230443a8b7bc55c55ce4c24f20449.jpg

IMG_20210612_161544.jpg.4b11534747c857abad42a90880867252.jpg

The bridge is an oddity, it's part of the original road which was realigned and a new, larger bridge built when the viaduct arrived. Disused for about 150 years apparently. I can't remember exactly which bridge it is, we'd pulled up on the motorcycles for a breather and to check if our teeth were loose!

Thanks, Rob.

The Dent Head viaduct is a lovely viaduct, worth modelling in itself.  The little mini-bridge is a feature that I planned to model as part of another project and never got round to.

Here are 4 pics of the environs adjacent to Arten Gill. All relatively plain, and the detail within the Gill - lots of trees, vegetation and water - will have to wait until a later stage. I'll use a bit of modeller's licence, adding in a bit more in the way of taller grass and a few well-worn pathways. Just to break-up the bland monotony of cropped grass. Being a "sheep zone" I have to keep reasonably close to prototype. But there's a distinct lack of shrubbery and bramble/bushes - no doubt consumed! I'll maybe have a go at this area during breaks in walling the diorama, and we'll see how it goes. Probably only take me 3-4 days, time stretched by glue setting constraints.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lambiedg said:

I had always admired the groundwork under the viaduct, but now that I see what you’ve done in the cutting it does seem a bit “undernourished”.

Nothing that can’t be easily remedied eh Jeff

Enjoy…..

David, I really do agree with your first sentence. I'm extremely pleased with the way the cutting has worked out - please remember that it's only a month since I looked at the cutting and thought about leaving it with just the original 2,4 and 6mm grass covering. But that's NOT the way it is in reality - the prototype is always the best guide! Why make it up when the evidence is there for all to see?

As for easily remedied - yes, in as much as most of what's already there is, strictly speaking, "correct". It just looks very bland compared to the cuttings at either end of the viaduct and a little surface accentuation - even if it's only implied areas of flowers - will spruce things up a little.

Enjoy? Absolutely. If it looks crap it'll be ripped out and another attempt made. So no point in worrying, just have fun!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Very effective modelling, Jeff, very effective.

With most of your stock apparently still 16.5mm gauge, do you ever regret going for EM? Just a wondering.

And in my usual pedantic mode, don't forget the headlamps on the front of the loco.
But if that's all I have to moan about, your modelling must be good.

Thanks, Peter, and you've raised a very good point.

Do I regret going for EM? The simple answer is NO.

As you are very well aware, my main guiding principle is to create something that looks "right". There is absolutely nothing wrong with 00, and I'll dole out as much TLC as I can on my Ais Gill project. But I find the broader rail more pleasing to the eye and, as part of the overall landscape, I'm more than willing to sacrifice the number of active EM locos for the aesthetic pleasure. Even if no locos ever ran on the layout, I'd choose the broader gauge for appearance sake. It's only my own opinion, and each person is welcome to their own view on this.

A knock-on benefit, of course, is that having around 40 00 steam locos waiting to be used has prompted a series of diorama plans, along with the Hell Ghyll Sidings project, coming up soon. Part of the HGS project is a bit of a challenge to myself - almost playing Devil's Advocate - to create something with the same elements as GH and to be pleasing to my eye. Almost telling me that I was a silly bu99er to go EM on the main layout! It's more fun, more challenges - who needs stagnation!?

Besides, I have a list of 6-8 steam locos (only) that I'd be happy to run on GH if they could ever be converted to EM. The rest can stay 00.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Since when has bug9er been such an expletive that it's automatically edited out. Crazy!!
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Here are 4 pics of the environs adjacent to Arten Gill. All relatively plain, and the detail within the Gill - lots of trees, vegetation and water - will have to wait until a later stage. I'll use a bit of modeller's licence, adding in a bit more in the way of taller grass and a few well-worn pathways. Just to break-up the bland monotony of cropped grass. Being a "sheep zone" I have to keep reasonably close to prototype. But there's a distinct lack of shrubbery and bramble/bushes - no doubt consumed! I'll maybe have a go at this area during breaks in walling the diorama, and we'll see how it goes. Probably only take me 3-4 days, time stretched by glue setting constraints.

Jeff

I must be going bonkers! Only realised, 2 hours later, that I didn't add in the Arten Gill images. So here goes...

And I've included SEVEN for good measure.

artengill-n1034.jpg.e3298daff25e8597545445286173050e.jpg

arten-gill-railway-viaduct-near-dent-cumbria-on-the-settle-to-carlisle-EPDCN1.jpg.4b6544dd445c42ea2de292164b2cd1f4.jpg

arten-gill-viaduct-settle-carlisle-railway-dentdale-yorkshire-dales-BTNTRN.jpg.31b624b2de06b135a9ec071a8dc09cc0.jpg

COWGILL_-16B_Artengill_Viaduct_Dentdale_3_xgaplus.jpg.9077c72558944130be99baebeff5ec89.jpg

360_F_235778356_FTnuyeJWqLvwSD2o6TjZSXscY4y26vhC.jpg.a75422e936016d6aac75a77933d51e27.jpg

629110806cbe860eeb5f4b082704a1ba.jpg.b4c8c3826586f821af2a3bde1b0af06b.jpg

IMAG0401.jpg.4391955ed657a3041da2b78d70d7d4bb.jpg

• Like 13

Love the photo second from bottom. Having the houses in there really gives a sense of scale to the viaduct itself. In fact it's the sort of photo that I'd have on my wall.

Veering ever so slightly, we've been watching series 3 of 'Lost in Space' on Netflix. In episode 6, the young hero drives off to do battle with killer robots and to attract their attention blasts 'Tom Sawyer' out of the buggies loud hailer. (probably the only reason to watch the series if you're not already doing so :) )

Graeme.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 04/01/2022 at 10:58, Physicsman said:

In case you haven't seen them, here are 2 different pics I put onto the "Realistic Modelling" thread about 3 hours ago.

1801841976_20220104_145357_stitchcr.jpg.27256d079b0f01de2c6ce65928929aa7.jpg

1278588759_20220104_145611_stitchcr.jpg.edc6c74169ac0cf882b5d392544db9a6.jpg

love the third low angle view, very atmospheric.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve.

I just happened to sign in about ten minutes ago and caught your message.

Glad you like the images - is it the one taken from the bridge looking towards the viaduct?

I've got around 15 different LED strips fitted around the Bunker and aside from the scenery being viewed, the combination of lights used can make a huge difference to the appearance. A bit of shadow and the grass, shrubbery etc is thrown into clear relief.

Thank goodness for digital imaging, allowing dozens of combinations of lighting and position to be tried. Hopefully, something half-decent results!

Jeff

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Hi Steve.

I just happened to sign in about ten minutes ago and caught your message.

Glad you like the images - is it the one taken from the bridge looking towards the viaduct?

I've got around 15 different LED strips fitted around the Bunker and aside from the scenery being viewed, the combination of lights used can make a huge difference to the appearance. A bit of shadow and the grass, shrubbery etc is thrown into clear relief.

Thank goodness for digital imaging, allowing dozens of combinations of lighting and position to be tried. Hopefully, something half-decent results!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

You have the same vision for your layout as I do, to see trains running through the country side. I am hoping to build a new workshop this year, for woodworking, with a loft above to finally build what has been in my head, for the last 20 plus years. So i find your layout very inspirational, and your humour.

regards Stephen

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, stevel said:

Hi Jeff

You have the same vision for your layout as I do, to see trains running through the country side. I am hoping to build a new workshop this year, for woodworking, with a loft above to finally build what has been in my head, for the last 20 plus years. So i find your layout very inspirational, and your humour.

regards Stephen

Excellent! The more "railways in the landscape" the better.

Nice to be inspirational.....but my HUMOUR?

You're obviously a VERY perceptive, intelligent bloke! 

Seriously, good luck with the workshop and it'll be good to see your layout develop.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that people are more likely to look on this thread than on the new diorama thread I started 2 days ago. So here's a repeat post of the "new, improved" walling that will feature on the diorama (the diorama is basically a test bed) and then be featured - on a much larger scale (length-wise) on Hell Ghyll Sidings.

This version of the walling takes a LOT longer to build than the "mass-produced" stuff that featured on KL and now Gill Head. I DON'T intend to produce any of the new stuff for GH - not that there's much left to do!

The context of this walling (the pic shows a 50cm length of it) will be more apparent in 2-3 weeks on the diorama thread.

More details of stone walling and the building of it are on the diorama thread "Glorious Steam".

1978234971_20220109_133341_stitchcr.jpg.d255d5971c83922366ac691504a05263.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Totally missed your diorama thread; will go for a look. 
That’s a superb bit of wall!

Jay

47 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

Nice work Jeff looking now to subscribe!

Found Linky for others to quickly find it

Jay, Ade, thanks for the comments.

The wall is a "work in progress". I'm speeding up a little as I do more, but I'd never have been able to build 15-20 metres in the "new" way, as required on KL or GH.

I'm more than happy to contemplate using this method for a diorama or for HGS, and as I mentioned in the diorama thread, I'm keen to have a go at a wall as part-background in a 7mm diorama. 

J.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 04/01/2022 at 18:33, Physicsman said:

I've all but finished the cutting area. The next bit of work on GH will be the grass area below the viaduct. It's a bit too bland and needs some detailed work doing on it - though, to be fair, I've not paid it much attention since I put the base grass coat on, over 6 months ago.

Here are 3 images from this afternoon, the first of the cutting, the next 2 with an "interloper"!!

872177692_20220104_143523_stitchcr.jpg.cc7ed583e4a67cca63395c414b3b0c8d.jpg

20220104_145351.jpg.72108ded2c0ceb49f4e7e738e385a5f0.jpg

1048627893_20220104_144205crGcur.jpg.7d3afebcc5f1454ad713f52140d26b24.jpg

I recognise those 21 ton hoppers... :)

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2