Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Steve, no problem with popping in every now and then. At least you do bother to look and comment. And take your time with your project. I'm actually NOT rushing any of the work on here - around 200 hours on the station building. It's just that I spend a few hours every day in the Bunker and after 18 months it gets me somewhere.

I don't want to finish Gill Head. No doubt I'll think of something to keep it going. Detailing will take months!

As for the James Webb telescope. Well, it just shows the very best that humans can achieve if we set our minds to it. Expectations were super high and, like the Hubble, they have been bettered.

Ade, moon imaging at this time of the year, and through until autumn, is the early hours of the morning. So hoping to start next week. Added bonus is I can double up with Jupiter, and maybe Saturn, once I get my 2am routine sorted.

I'll post anything half-decent on here as there are a few of you who are keen to see results.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Physicsman said:

I don't want to finish Gill Head. No doubt I'll think of something to keep it going. Detailing will take months!

I like that attitude! With most things in life I find there's always something more you could do, I find the idea of even being able to finish anything a bit strange (can be a problem at work).

I'd imagine if I ever did finish a layout I'd run trains about for half an hour and then think "Well now what?"

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonathan.

Glad you like the chimneys. I've spent this afternoon fitting the flashing and ridge tiles, which I'll paint in an hour or so.

Your comment about the guttering "threw" me a little, though. I like to keep things simple and was planning on using the same Plastruct half-circular and circular rodding that I used for the goods shed. Nothing fancy, just very basic. Hadn't thought of anything beyond that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Hi Jonathan.

Glad you like the chimneys. I've spent this afternoon fitting the flashing and ridge tiles, which I'll paint in an hour or so.

Your comment about the guttering "threw" me a little, though. I like to keep things simple and was planning on using the same Plastruct half-circular and circular rodding that I used for the goods shed. Nothing fancy, just very basic. Hadn't thought of anything beyond that.

Fair enough, Jeff. I've not used their rainwater goods products, but they do look good on the website.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Fair enough, Jeff. I've not used their rainwater goods products, but they do look good on the website.

Yes, I see what you mean. I could get carried away with some of that stuff.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, lambiedg said:

The Modelu guttering etc is lovely stuff and looks really good assembled.

Be warned though, some of the parts are tiny and the “carpet monster” loves them.

D

Morning David.

Agree with you about the Modelu stuff - from what I've seen in the online catalogue. But I'll be sticking to my Plastruct rodding for the gutters on this one. If the end result, once done, is rubbish then I'll reconsider.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I was fiddling round taking random pics earlier and this one took my fancy. Ok, the phone focussed primarily on the cutting in the foreground, but it puts the station into a (kind of) rural context. I'll get the DSLR on the same angle later and see if I can get the depth of field to get everything into focus.

1299566454_20220715_123010cr.thumb.jpg.9d93b2fb6abe94a60235381dd59ca63e.jpg

A number of gutters have been fitted. May have some pics tomorrow, though downpipes won't be done by then.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

I was fiddling round taking random pics earlier and this one took my fancy. Ok, the phone focussed primarily on the cutting in the foreground, but it puts the station into a (kind of) rural context. I'll get the DSLR on the same angle later and see if I can get the depth of field to get everything into focus.

1299566454_20220715_123010cr.thumb.jpg.9d93b2fb6abe94a60235381dd59ca63e.jpg

A number of gutters have been fitted. May have some pics tomorrow, though downpipes won't be done by then.

Lovely sense of space there Jeff. 

I’ll also advocate the Modelu gutters - they’re just a really great looking finishing touch. 

Jay

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pics showing where I'm at.

Half-round Plastruct rod guttering has been fitted front and back and painted in Midland Red livery. Downspouts have been fitted to the front - I'll do the back tomorrow. There are 5 on the front side and I used 2mm rounded rod, curved where necessary with pliers. Again, painted red.

The roof has received a couple of slightly darker weathering coats, but the effect doesn't really show on the pics, so I might add more tomorrow for further emphasis.

Anyway, here's the pics....

20220716_162240.thumb.jpg.130072e11d1d4354536340ae564da136.jpg

20220716_162329.thumb.jpg.ad2cae0597e6ca16b183e07b405d5e13.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Physicsman said:

A couple of pics showing where I'm at.

Half-round Plastruct rod guttering has been fitted front and back and painted in Midland Red livery. Downspouts have been fitted to the front - I'll do the back tomorrow. There are 5 on the front side and I used 2mm rounded rod, curved where necessary with pliers. Again, painted red.

The roof has received a couple of slightly darker weathering coats, but the effect doesn't really show on the pics, so I might add more tomorrow for further emphasis.

Anyway, here's the pics....

20220716_162240.thumb.jpg.130072e11d1d4354536340ae564da136.jpg

20220716_162329.thumb.jpg.ad2cae0597e6ca16b183e07b405d5e13.jpg

I do like a decent bit of scale railway architecture, and your station has to be one of the most pleasing yet!

Regards  Shaun. 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I do like a decent bit of scale railway architecture, and your station has to be one of the most pleasing yet!

Regards  Shaun. 

Thanks Shaun.

That's the kind of comment that makes me feel that what I'm doing is worthwhile.

And, in the main, it's bl**dy good fun!

Jeff

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

There are still things to do on the station building, including 2 doors and an end barge board. But the building has been spruced-up a bit, including a (not very effective) window clean and additional paint. Other bits added, too, which I'll let you spot for yourselves.

The window frames and stone enclosures that surround them were built as units. Otherwise it might have been possible to buy laser-cut windows and fit them in. Maybe neater and cleaner (glass wise) but this concoction is my own to stand or fall by.

A batch of pics...

771316856_20220718_192447cr.jpg.ffcb48ad6cebb8961c3675c91e2289aa.jpg

734284651_20220718_192139crrs.jpg.dcc60d25e4ae2776d46e2490e0455edf.jpg

1757325627_20220718_192318crrs.jpg.aca7144be9ca8dd496e680b7ebd14213.jpg

237968339_20220718_192351crrs.jpg.a9c32b50621ef971f0986a015e3e47bd.jpg

2016486560_20220718_192328cr.jpg.4a3b24b455b12d2d7cbcc07fb03cd6f7.jpg

1669482396_20220718_192337cr.jpg.c33431fd5c2de81f5f3bd0e598c58f65.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
Further picture cropping
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

7F51A784-4DD3-4289-B7E3-9191153679F6.jpeg.070fd0265d1534b5e5a759193db65e28.jpeg

DDFAC85D-FB24-465F-8400-F4365DFA870E.jpeg.d56da0074269ce9d2ac8b5b4ca24ffb1.jpeg

Took a while Jeff but spotted it now!

Would it be work on the ridge’s?

Yes Ade. The ridge on the S&C station has a decorative fixture that I couldn't model in an exact, prototypical fashion. So I cut sections of 2mm x 1mm plastikard and drilled holes through, every 2.5mm, with a hand-drill.

Once painted and fitted it seems to match quite well. Still work to do, though.

As regulars will know, I am NEVER satisfied with anything I build until a few weeks after I move onto something else. It took a month or so before I stopped looking at the (known) faults in the viaduct.

If I were to build another station building, and it's a possibility sometime in the future - I have a diorama in mind - I could build it twice as fast and eliminate some of my "errors". But isn't that always the case with some of us on here. Certainly, building a 7mm scale building would be a doddle, but I'll never have the space.

Comes back to my oft-mentioned theme about learning from every build and trying to do your best. Unfortunately there are some who don't share my (pompous?) view, but that's their business, isn't it?

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Loverly looking building, you just want to walk inside and smell the typical station smell, polish, dust, oil lamps etc... 

That would make for a stunning outdoors photo diorama... Not too many people bite the bullet and build one just for the purpose.

Ladmanlow springs to mind as the only one to get it spot on for location etc.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

When I win the lottery John, I'll rent a van and lug my layout 100+ miles to a field in Shropshire for a photo session. Seriously, I would, but priorities are elsewhere at the moment. 

I agree with your philosophy Jeff about learning from every build and trying to do your best. 

I apply that to everything I do, be it the layout, my paintings or a motorcycle restoration. There's no point in standing still or going backwards, life's too short. I do find myself revisiting things in order to improve them, which is why a model railway is never truly finished and there's some excellent examples on here of already impressive layouts which are at first glance complete but are continuously evolving.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Do you know, I just KNEW that I could count on you two (John and Rob) to see it the same way that I do.

I simply CANNOT for the life of me (and I've tried hard to understand it) see why anyone can continue to trot out the same stuff again, and again, and again with no real advancement. Anyway, we've probably had our fill with that one until the culprits raise their head(s) anew.

I'm quite serious about a second station building. I did it with the goods shed and I'm prepared to do it again with the station. Maybe wait until next year when other more pressing jobs have been done. It would be a fun thing to try....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

And to my DELIGHT, I've just looked back to the station build from March 2018 - page 205ish onwards on Kirkby Luneside 2 - and discovered that the photos have reappeared in the thread.

I have backups, but convenient to see the build on the Forum.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Ade, here's a comparison of my effort from today with the prototype. This pic of Kirkby Stephen station was taken in June 2001 before renovation/conversions started.

The ridge "decoration" is clearly visible.

864056242_20220718_192447cr.jpg.a4ebb1a2d8838ca666e3c99424c461f8.jpg

Station2001a.JPG.062371fcacd806c88889eb3c1cfa9a23.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 3