Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I do like those bargeboards and the herringbone door panels. All details that add to the sense of place.

I know it's a way off yet but any thoughts on how to go about modelling the wall lanterns?

I have some Weissmann lamps - they are black - from many years back. I may decapitate a couple and fit them into the station wall. Having painted them Midland red, of course!

I've already made some changes to what was in the picture above. May be able to show you in a couple of days. There is a reason for the delay which I'll explain when the pics go up.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

An update.....

I wasn't happy with the bargeboards shown in the previous pic. All boards were removed and made a bit more "dainty", though there was no way I could replicate the number of curves on the prototype. Yes, I could have drawn out a plan and sent it to, for example, York Modelmaking who'd have laser-cut the boards for me. But I think a line has to be drawn somewhere. Scratchbuilding to reasonable detail - and MY limit for 4mm (7mm would be a different matter) - is about doing it YOURSELF, so I'll stick with what I've done.

Of course, there's always a catch in whatever we do. Mine usually involves injuring myself, usually with a scalpel. Removing the original boards resulted in a pretty deep scalpel-spearing to the finger and copious amounts of blood all over the place. Including the rooftops. Reminded me of the track "Blood on the Rooftops" from Genesis's very good 1976 album "Wind and Wuthering". Anyone else familiar with it?

Anyway, after an initial clean-up, a chuckle to myself that it was only a scalpel this time (it's sometimes been a hammer blow), a plaster or two did the trick and new barge boards were made. There'll be 7 pairs of boards on here (4 gables plus building ends) and the 3 largest gables and one main building end have so far been completed.

I'm really enjoying myself with this BUT the detailing is ridiculous and there's PVA, superglue, acrylic paint, primer, emulsion on the go simultaneously. Then I remembered I'd have to build 4 chimneys and fit gutters. Oh, well - so what?

4 pics attached, including Kirkby Stephen prototype. The roof has had a preliminary wash using something that was to hand. Not the colour it'll end up (that will be a medium grey). The blood stains may still be evident, once finished, but I'll regard those as a kind of "signature"!!

I'll try and post something when the basic structure, minus chimneys and gutters, has been readied (that doesn't mean "complete"). That may be Friday/the weekend.

1457331775_20220705_141442rs.thumb.jpg.9d6d81cde8e4b271868e248da4c75445.jpg

267893034_20220705_181034rs.thumb.jpg.20d3c94408b958a36a868ac5aef7af3b.jpg

7412587758_a6a4b666c8_z.jpg.8fa07c844eca92ea1b5fe13b6973bebd.jpg

20220705_181107.thumb.jpg.7579e95e2f956717f7d840868c087bfb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
Photo re-size
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

And I thought I was the only one going under the knife!!

Very witty, as usual, Jonathan.

I take extreme care when using a scalpel but aside from the scalpel thrust I've got at least 4 other puncture wounds to the hand from all the "pointy bits" on the building as it's shuffled into different positions to paint, glue, sand down etc.

BUT what a great hobby. Guess we are just masochists!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, lambiedg said:

So no Blood on the Tracks then! (Gratuitous Dylan pun).

would your blood not pass for Midland Red and therefore save some paint?

David

I've just had the same Midland Red comment sent to me in a text! Tell you what, the enamel smells lovely!!

And - coincidence - I was playing Dylan's "Nashville Skyline" album (Lay Lady Lay) only 2 days ago. So, David, a portent of what was to come!

• Like 1

No blood on the streets either (From Peace Frog by The Doors) I had a similar problem trying to make similar wavy bargeboards for my small wooden station in the style of Vowchurch on the GWR. I ended up drawing claret, despite working with metal and having skin seemingly as resistant as dog's paws, because the scalpel was too flexible and the craft knife too bulky. I tried paper but it didn't look right either. 

When I did get somewhere close, they looked OTT on the building anyway, so went for something plain with added beading. It still looks the part I think.

IMG_20220622_174039.thumb.jpg.5f25ced34d7c610ecc4e47eb56c899f1.jpg

I sometimes have to remind myself that I don't have the hands of a neurosurgeon, they're more like a farmer and one of them doesn't work 100%.

Edited by MrWolf
Unreliable internet rage
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice job on the bargeboards, they certainly look the part (aesthetically-speaking I prefer your version to the real ones, which were always the one aspect of the buildings that I found too twee for my taste).

For my indefinitely on hold (until I eventually get the cellar sorted out) Kirkby Stephen I was thinking of the cameo cutter for producing them. It wouldn't be justified for just that task but it looks like one of those things that could come in useful.

I think that the complexity of the bargeboards is why you don't see many models of the Didcot Newbury &  Southampton Railway. Take a look at Burghclere or Highclere and you'll feel much better about the S&C. I do like a bit of complicated joinery, it was designed to impress, nothing more.

• RMweb Premium

Work continues on the station building.

I'll start making the (4) chimneys tomorrow, then there's guttering to fit. The painting also continues, seemingly endless.

Here's a pic from 30 minutes ago showing where I'm at.

20220709_222747.thumb.jpg.2b38ef59c3d8d1911b8ae0c369c2cafc.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Work continues on the station building.

I'll start making the (4) chimneys tomorrow, then there's guttering to fit. The painting also continues, seemingly endless.

Here's a pic from 30 minutes ago showing where I'm at.

20220709_222747.thumb.jpg.2b38ef59c3d8d1911b8ae0c369c2cafc.jpg

that's looking mighty fine.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

What's this Jeff doing an Andy P!  Been mobile and internet inaccessible for a few weeks and come back to find 5/6 whole pages completed.  After slowly working through the first then skimmed looking for 'pictures' of progress and wow and find that your skill level has pushed others e.g Sasquatch - what a set of roof supports.  Truly amazing progress.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

What's this Jeff doing an Andy P!  Been mobile and internet inaccessible for a few weeks and come back to find 5/6 whole pages completed.  After slowly working through the first then skimmed looking for 'pictures' of progress and wow and find that your skill level has pushed others e.g Sasquatch - what a set of roof supports.  Truly amazing progress.

Hi Peter.

"Doing an Andy P?" Not sure what to say to that!

Thanks for the comments and I'm hoping I might get some more lunar images for you later in July. Will keep you posted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Quick pic to keep Ade happy.....

Chimney making underway. These two are just sat in place for the sake of the photo - more painting and stuff to do. Two more, larger, chimneys in the next day or so.

20220711_224038.thumb.jpg.e296ffcc68e6dbd330550146f2dbc06a.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

Looking down on our models makes the look of roofs and chimneys and the bits that go with them very important.

Those chimneys look good sitting on the roof, Jeff.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Looking down on our models makes the look of roofs and chimneys and the bits that go with them very important.

Those chimneys look good sitting on the roof, Jeff.

A building doesn't look complete without chimneys anyway.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 11/07/2022 at 23:15, Physicsman said:

Quick pic to keep Ade happy.....

Chimney making underway. These two are just sat in place for the sake of the photo - more painting and stuff to do. Two more, larger, chimneys in the next day or so.

20220711_224038.thumb.jpg.e296ffcc68e6dbd330550146f2dbc06a.jpg

Sorry Jeff I’ve been AWOL!

Led here in bed now sweltering trying to sleep happened to look in to catch up.

Looking mighty fine that station building of yours.

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

Work continues.....

All 4 chimneys made, in the correct positions, level sideways and vertically. This pic was taken after (about) the 6th acrylic wash, which I think will do. Flashings and main roof ridge tiles tomorrow with a fine rub-down of the stacks, if necessary - and a very dilute white acrylic pointing grout.

So, Ade, if you can't sleep because of the heat, you can look at this.

And Rob, I don't mind making chimneys but I just want to get most of the building finished now and have a break (gutters still to do, one barge board, a couple of doors....I think the gutter bit will be the next task).

20220713_224005.thumb.jpg.0a548ac79ef341aabc63758cd2ae19d0.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Great to see your progress on Gill Head, apologies for radio silence recently. 

You will have finished the layout, gotten bored, ripped it up and started a new one in the time I take just to finish my track and wiring!  Awesome work on your part - always great fun to watch your progress.

Hope you are not getting too distracted by the amazing James Watt telescope imagery?  Thought of you as soon as I saw it.

Keep going - looking really good - as usual!

Steve

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1