Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I see you've been having a bit of fun.....

SOME modelling work continues, but these 2 pics are hot off the press having been taken at around 2.20 and 3.08 this morning.

Just a quick bit of processing, that will be refined, before I go to bed in order to see what I've "captured".

358574381_2022-08-10-0123_6-L-Jup_lapl6_ap52R6Sat1.jpg.ed27b98ac2e5cccd3d648d8a926c7438.jpg

1379061990_2022-08-10-0208_8-L-Jup_lapl4_ap94R6JRS.jpg.124aaf92c71160b0282cc4e344acf987.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 6

What scale are they Jeff? I was going for OO but others said you'd stick to EM. And most importantly how much DAS did you use.

I think its been said but I'll repeat it anyway isn't technology amazing that youve been able to produce such image images is a credit to you.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Great photos Jeff. Looking at them reminds me of an astronomy module I took at college nearly 50 years ago now. Quietly viewing while chemo no 2 is underway.

Edited by Rowsley17D
From astrology to astronomy. I blame the drugs - chemo ones.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Great photos Jeff. Looking at them reminds me of an astrology module I took at college nearly 50 years ago now. Quietly viewing while chemo no 2 is underway.

You studied astrology at college?  I thought people just made it up.  😀

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, teaky said:

You studied astrology at college?  I thought people just made it up.  😀

Predictive text. It was some sort of ology, I'll get it sorted. Thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments, and don't get me started on astrology!

I'm just heading out for 3 hours of Jupiter imaging, though I'll nab a few shots of Saturn before I start.

John, widefield pics of meteor showers are something I've done in the past and the Perseid shower can be impressive. Unfortunately it's badly affected by the full moon this year.

Shaun, if you'd asked if I'd looked at Uranus....which I have, as it's near Mars (oh dear, you can twist that if you like) not too far from Jupiter at the mo. Betelgeuse has actually recovered in brightness from its dimming- down 2 years ago (caused by either giant star spots or an intervening cloud of dust orbiting it). Some thought the dimming a precursor to it exploding as a supernova (one of the nearest supergiants to Earth at around 500 light years), but nope...

Or was it just Beetle-Juice on your mind?

Folks, modelling has come to a halt for the next ten days or so for obvious reasons. I have a project on the go which will enhance the layout and will be unveiled when near completion - likely early September. I'll update this thread with any decent planetary pics. If it's not your thing then railway stuff will return with a vengeance....eventually!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 04/08/2022 at 13:33, Physicsman said:

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't realised it'd been so long since you've been on here. Are you still in the Blea Moor area or back at Hellifield?

The layout chugs along with bursts of intense activity - well, "intense" in a reltive way. Underbridge, tunnel, station building etc in a 3 month period. All takes time though - no point in rushing it all in a couple of weeks, getting bored and wanting to get rid of it, is there?

I’m still a mom covering from Hellifield to blea moor, down to Blackburn then over to littleborough then to hebeden bridge. The area we cover is big compared with some of the other areas that moms cover. 
mid I get chance I will get some shots for you. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff. 

Despite all the smoke from this year's fire season, last night was an exceptional clear sky and what we refer to as a very stary night.

Just looking through a pair of binoculars at the center of the milky way was mind boggling. The entire field of view was a pure mass of light. Dim of course but full non-the-less! This morning we've had smoke drift in from California, so I doubt we're gonna be treated to it again tonight. Shame, because I should be getting the truck back after some work that needed doing and could have taken a drive up to the top with the telescope tonight. 

Regards Shaun.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Shaun.

The light pollution where I live isn't too bad, but views of the Milky Way aren't as impressive as they were 40 years ago. The modern generation, I'm afraid, don't know what they're missing. I did a survey a few years back, when I was still teaching. Only 20% of my sixth-form Physics students had actually seen the Milky Way....

I've managed 2 good moon imaging sessions in the last week, and hope to be outside 2-5am this evening. Friday's exploits produced 275Gb of pretty excellent data - half the storage capacity of my laptop. I'll post some more pics early next week when I've had a good sort-through.

No railway work, but I did go into the Bunker yesterday - for ten minutes. The stirrings of desire to get back in there are strong, so something non-astronomical is likely to appear on here in the next........weeks - fill blank with a number 4 or greater!

Thanks to viewers for your continued interest in the stuff on this schizophrenic thread!

Jeff.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Only 20% of my sixth-form Physics students had actually seen the Milky Way....

Jeff.

….. the other 80% thought it was a chocolate bar you can eat between meals 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Here's an image of the waning crescent moon from early Sunday morning.

The image is a mosaic of 15 panes, each pane made up from 800 "stacked" frames - so effectively compiled from 12000 sub-pictures.

You can zoom in quite a way, but the usual disclaimer - this is a 2Mb jpeg file, compressed from the original 37Mb TIF.

Copernicus crater, that you've met previously, is the large crater half way down on the light-dark boundary (terminator).

This area of the moon is dominated by large lava plains which are less reflective than the highland areas. It gives the waning crescent moon an almost eerie, "ghostly" light as it hangs in the sky. Almost getting poetic, there!

694599805_1ORIG21Aug2202.36UT23.36dayoldstitch15JPEG.jpg.2e4ffcb9455b793256f77fa546d92b30.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Premium

Right, I'll subject you to a couple more pics and then disappear for a little while.

Here are 2 pics showing how important imaging the moon at a higher altitude can be.

The first is a (quite good) image I've posted previously: July 21, moon at 26 degrees above the horizon.

506277645_1July2122ClavTyc022325273031MB5F1000R6ThGcurPcr_stitch5crop.jpeg.5745f9263f89c0d4da63f2e6214789c4.jpeg

The second is from 4 days ago. Similar area, moon 46 degrees up. The increase in detail and sharpness is significant.

1475153406_2Aug1922ClaviusTychoMB5F1200R6A174BGcurPcrcroprotstitch2.jpeg.554694831c20fa9003fae66ae21c0826.jpeg

The large crater is Clavius: about 150 miles (240km) in diameter - about the distance from London to Manchester.... The view is looking south towards the moon's south pole.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

David, do you think anyone would believe me if I claimed that Webb infrared image as my own work? No? Shame.

Sums up humans for me. Unbelievably intelligent in evolving from living in caves to today's high-tech achievements. And unbelievable lacking in intelligence for their behaviour on this planet which isn't even the equivalent of a speck of dust in our galaxy alone. 

Anyway, since I was responding to your post, here's another image from 19th August. It shows the crater Plato (90km wide) and the adjacent (to the right) lunar Alps. These mountains typically reach 3-4000m in height, comparable with our own Alps, but much higher in proportion to the smaller Moon.

1092927966_Jpeg2022-08-19-0328_6-L-Moon_lapl4_ap2438MB5F1400R6A174BGcurPcr.jpeg.228dc436fa526d097b2ae700a6965ee5.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

A couple of people have asked me what kind of equipment I'm using to obtain my images.

This isn't the place to go into immense detail, but here's a couple of pics showing the main beastie in his lair. 2 smaller siblings stand quietly to the side, out of shot. It's a Celestron Edge HD 11" Schmidt-Cassegrain, with all sorts of bits-and-bobs tagged on to the standard outfit. The red "thing" at the left end of the scope is one of my high frame rate planetary cameras. Doesn't look like a camera, does it?

20220824_150737.jpg.2c6d3aaebdda8caaf3794d7b15eac08d.jpg

20220824_150818.jpg.d6b11cca178b887d4e353264568fe3b0.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1