North End Road - WCML in N

DavidMcKenzie

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Thanks Phil, I hope you are well. 

Slow and steady progress here, made a start on weathering a set of IZA wagons. To start with I thought I had just ruined a lovely set of wagons, but with patients and building up a number of layers of grim, they are starting to look ok. 

They seemed to vary in appearance a lot over their lifetime, I found reference photos from the mid 90s when they were grubby, but not yet covered in graffiti, patched up, or had the information panels re-painted. 

Still plenty to do picking out little details and weathering the blue ends + buffer beams, but looking forward to getting them out on the layout behind a 90 or 92. 

IMG_20220209_204438_HDR.jpg.04a3d988bf88d754c01b3ca9456e097b.jpg

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I hope you are keeping well. The wagons look terrific, your remark about repainted information panels is incorrect i believe. They panels were just cleaned... maybe with a steam cleaner... I don't know. I felt exactly the same as you when I weathered my vans but don't worry they look like minature prototypes now not toys.. great work.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

...They seemed to vary in appearance a lot over their lifetime, I found reference photos from the mid 90s when they were grubby, but not yet covered in graffiti, patched up, or had the information panels re-painted...

Hi Dave,

They look great!  AFAIK the data panels (showing the wagon number, home depot, owner, contacts for repair etc) were regularly wiped clean simply because they needed to be read from time to time by railway staff.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2022 at 09:33, Duncan. said:

Hi Dave,

I hope you are keeping well. The wagons look terrific, your remark about repainted information panels is incorrect i believe. They panels were just cleaned... maybe with a steam cleaner... I don't know. I felt exactly the same as you when I weathered my vans but don't worry they look like minature prototypes now not toys.. great work.

Cheers

Duncan

On 11/02/2022 at 00:32, Revolution Ben said:

Hi Dave,

They look great!  AFAIK the data panels (showing the wagon number, home depot, owner, contacts for repair etc) were regularly wiped clean simply because they needed to be read from time to time by railway staff.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for the kind messages guys, as soon as I read your comments the penny dropped and of course the difference in colour around the data panels is from cleaning :good:

Small but significant step this week, the station roof has been 'planted'. 

IMG_20220208_193820_HDR.jpg.cadfac1fd4ce476a03edabc17d15996e.jpg

The horrible gap to the platforms was then filled

IMG_20220208_204337_HDR.jpg.50130ca081e0f47e479a31deade65ceb.jpg

Plenty of tidying up and blending in to do around the joint, but at least there is no longer a gap and it's all connected. 

1941655396_IMG_20220210_205030_HDR2.jpg.ef9c1add3e249ce0db7c68d7cc7b7968.jpg

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

The cargowagons got a out on the layout behind a 92. I got carried away with taking photos, but they are cracking wagons. Looking forward to getting my hands on the next revolution models now (hoping this will probably be the NSE and Silverlink 321s which made the southern section of the WCML an option to model). 

Exiting the tunnel at the southern end of the layout and heading north to the station itself. 

DSC_0172.JPG.382071c5232a3d37e8dfc7692b2829bc.JPG

DSC_0156.JPG.1a3a9291aab0f58e508e9a7932640b43.JPG

DSC_0149.JPG.da4f1d6e02a4a1e4ce6b9adbcdc09558.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG.50e8e4946ce9a507aa7c30109ff6c2de.JPG

DSC_0124.JPG.da78a682d04f8499814367b8f1e119c3.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG.cafb33bcc403b5ec0e9cd03e088bb1eb.JPG

The zommed in shots hide some aspects of the layout which still need work, before the missing OHLE and wires can go up. 

All the best,

Dave 

Nice evocative photos Dave, fullfilling your original brief I believe... a  stage for photographs, before you have the opportunity to convert to a complete layout.

Cheers

Duncan

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Nice evocative photos Dave, fullfilling your original brief I believe... a  stage for photographs, before you have the opportunity to convert to a complete layout.

Cheers

Duncan

Thanks Duncan, I was especially happy with the shot below, it was only an accident that I even noticed it. My little 10 week old daughter woke and wanted her dummy, I only noticed the view when leaning down to check on her, so I have her to thank for that one.

DSC_0121.JPG.125872fbbbb9433356f0aff14bbcea08.JPG

A photo prior to cropping (below) shows how much there is still to finish (signals, speed signs, weathering platforms, station walls, foreground, OHLE etc. etc.). But you are right, this was intended as a glorified photo plank and it's slowly taking shape. Once this board is finished I would like to make a reasonably large multi use fiddle yard that will fill a corner of the cellar and allow the scenic sections to be interchangeable (and stock to remain built up in rakes and covered).

After all that (could be a few years yet :)) I still like the idea you sketched a while back and the challenge of a multi level layout. With some 3rd rail stock coming, this might be an additional challenge in the mix.

DSC_0114.JPG.8980bdb2a9617a0f9e088a8f3fc31750.JPG

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The layout  really is getting the look now, your attention to detail is making the difference and I'm looking forward seeing it when  the  OHLE is installed. Keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the kind comments🙂.

I cheated with the speed signs. My first attempt looked like hexagons 😅, I then looked for hole punches online, but they were pretty expensive for something I would probably only use once. So I settled on the sheet below from scale model scenery. Not as cheap as printing my own, but was definitely cheaper than the hole punch option. 

IMG_20220505_150113_HDR.jpg.6b612c14537dce6c1798eadf5ec9a11d.jpg

All the best,

Dave

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Yes, have to agree, you are really making progress with this now. It has a really good WCML feel to it and that last shot especially could definitely be in the London suburbs!  Well done.

Rich

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...