North End Road - WCML in N

DavidMcKenzie

16 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Dave,

I've just been catching up on your thead. You have done some excellent work. I really like the weathering of the stock.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

I hope you are well.

Thanks for your kind comments, all credit to yourself and others in the community who have given me many tips and support along the way. Not to mention all the motivation from seeing cracking layouts such as your shirebrook👍

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 1

On 19/04/2023 at 21:38, DavidMcKenzie said:

Jumping around a little with the modelling unfortunately. I just got stuck into the mk2 coaches before realising that I am missing the correct transfers for the 1 on the side of the first opens. 

I decided to switch to attacking the RES class 90. I am still undecided if this or intercity is my favourite livery on the 90s, they both suited the loco very well in my opinion. 

IMG_20230316_195007_HDR.jpg.2cac474e581996634f1e52eebd3434d4.jpg

IMG_20230316_195014_HDR2.jpg.d95597e4d6c61543cea2b3b4092c52aa.jpg

As for the layout, when I've had time to tinker it has been mainly wiring in the last few weeks. I am trying my best not to build a birds nest out if it all.......🤭.

All the best,

Dave 

Hell's Bell's David.

She's a stunner, hat's off you have done a awesome job.

On 28/04/2023 at 21:30, porkie said:

Hell's Bell's David.

She's a stunner, hat's off you have done a awesome job.

Thanks Phil, life's been a bit busy this end and wiring seems to have taken most of the modelling time over the last few weeks, but I am looking forward to a running session at some point to get it out on the layout. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2023 at 05:49, Padishar Creel said:

Many ran without the InterCity branding late 80s early 90s, so maybe simply remove it?

es grüßt

pc 

Now that is a brilliant idea 👍. I've just looked back at some old photos online, I didn't realise how common that was. Thanks for the idea.

I hope you are keeping well,

Dave 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/05/2023 at 21:25, DavidMcKenzie said:

Now that is a brilliant idea 👍. I've just looked back at some old photos online, I didn't realise how common that was. Thanks for the idea.

I hope you are keeping well,

Dave 

All good here in BaWü. I hope for you and yours as well.

Will you make it to Stuttgart this year? Pauline will bring New Millfields again, and I will be helping her operate the layout.

es grüßt

pc 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2023 at 16:20, Padishar Creel said:

All good here in BaWü. I hope for you and yours as well.

Will you make it to Stuttgart this year? Pauline will bring New Millfields again, and I will be helping her operate the layout.

es grüßt

pc 

Hi PC,

I hope all is well, I will pm you, but Stuttgart is looking unlikely. New Millfields being there is great news though. 

Al the best,

Dave. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/07/2023 at 08:28, Duncan. said:

Loving the inky blackness of the tunnels Dave

Hi Duncan,

Sorry for the delay in replying, the little one is keeping me busy at the moment (in the best possible way). 

I hope you are well, I have seen a number of YouTube videos of Shirebrook looking absolutely outstanding at the demu showcase. I hope you enjoyed it.

You've got a brilliant eye for noticing the details. One of the things which I wasn't so happy about with Maids Morten was the tunnels not being completely dark. Very crude solution, but off scene the first section of track is covered by a removable cardboard 'tunnel' painted black on the inside. It seems to do the job. The single track slow line has no fiddle yard connected yet, so a rag covering the tunnel mouth off scene is the solution there for now.

Photo with and without below:

IMG_20230719_215316_HDR.jpg.1788c790d07c9f8a74e182d08a59e7e3.jpg

IMG_20230719_215336_HDR.jpg.cfde1300c1bfd56e161e2f314c31fd2a.jpg

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 8

Hi Dave,

Yes, DEMU showcase was a great show, we enjoyed operating Shirebrook  there. There were many great comments from the visitors. 

Your layout is looking really good, your weathered 90s are especially  good. 

Cheers  Duncan 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

The layout is looking fabulous and I love the intercity liveried stock that you are running. I think the extension will add a nice contrast to your more built up city scene, lol forward to seeing the plan and the extension progress. Will this be on the other side of the layout or to one side?

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The MK2 rake looks great, Hunt Couplings I assume?

Edinburgh / Glasgow to Brighton…the Sussex Scot …..http://www.1S76.com will give you details. there were also XC services to Bournemouth….Wessex Scot, Devon Scot, Plymouth and the Cornish Scot, Penzance.

On 14/08/2023 at 21:48, cornish trains jez said:

Hi Dave,

The layout is looking fabulous and I love the intercity liveried stock that you are running. I think the extension will add a nice contrast to your more built up city scene, lol forward to seeing the plan and the extension progress. Will this be on the other side of the layout or to one side?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Strange answer I know....but it will be above the existing layout. I have plenty of height to play with and I've tested some spirals and they seem to work without issue. 

The track plan will be very simple.

Cumbria.jpg.b0c63f127e69acec00f448e403279fd2.jpg

It is not an exact location, but motivation has been taken from these two spots at Greenholme and Beck Foot.

Greenholme

19960604 Scan0237 43067 - 43080 Beck Foot

Hopefully this will allow a few different views of trains tilting in a curve like below. 

The Wrong Cousin

On 15/08/2023 at 08:52, acg5324 said:

The MK2 rake looks great, Hunt Couplings I assume?

Edinburgh / Glasgow to Brighton…the Sussex Scot …..http://www.1S76.com will give you details. there were also XC services to Bournemouth….Wessex Scot, Devon Scot, Plymouth and the Cornish Scot, Penzance.

@acg5324 that's a brilliant link thanks, I have only skimmed it so far. I didn't realise D9000 was a regular on Saturdays during summer at the end of the century. Interesting stuff. 

As for the coupling, I have ordered some hunt couplers to try as well as a batch of Kuppelstange from DM toys, but for now both are still unopened and the MK2s come with shorter and longer 'standard' Ngauge couplers which is all I've had time to play with so far. 

All the best,

Dave

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi Jeremy,

Strange answer I know....but it will be above the existing layout. I have plenty of height to play with and I've tested some spirals and they seem to work without issue. 

The track plan will be very simple.

Cumbria.jpg.b0c63f127e69acec00f448e403279fd2.jpg

It is not an exact location, but motivation has been taken from these two spots at Greenholme and Beck Foot.

Greenholme

19960604 Scan0237 43067 - 43080 Beck Foot

Hopefully this will allow a few different views of trains tilting in a curve like below. 

The Wrong Cousin

@acg5324 that's a brilliant link thanks, I have only skimmed it so far. I didn't realise D9000 was a regular on Saturdays during summer at the end of the century. Interesting stuff. 

As for the coupling, I have ordered some hunt couplers to try as well as a batch of Kuppelstange from DM toys, but for now both are still unopened and the MK2s come with shorter and longer 'standard' Ngauge couplers which is all I've had time to play with so far. 

All the best,

Dave

Thank you….you may have spotted www.1S76.com is my pet project.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's been slow and steady on the modelling front here, mainly because the family has expanded which has been another wonderful experience. 

When I have managed the odd 20mins in the modelling room it has mainly been on the fiddle yards, wiring, or general 'off scene' stuff. The lower (slow lines) fiddle yard will be ripped up and re layed over the winter. I did it in too much of a rush and I've made too many mistakes like not enough space between lines for fingers, 'S' curves through back to back points etc. It all takes away from the joy of operating, so I will try to relay it with reliability and usability as the main goal, rather than the current approach of trying to cram as much as possible into the space. 

All a bit messy, but hopefully the photos below are worth a look for anyone interested in the development of the 'off scene' section of the layout. 

IMG_20231008_203452_HDR.jpg.e2c5ffd683d91b378b544f19da75ec53.jpg

IMG_20231008_203432_HDR.jpg.9fed65472b97ea8ea14fed8234681a75.jpg

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1