RMweb

2022 a space obscurity

rocor

• 2 weeks later...

Late night local news was all a tizzy tonight. Many people sent in video of a spacecraft breaking up and streaking across the sky at about 9:00pm this evening. Apparently it was visible across much of the Pacific Northwest and unusually, the weather cooperated. (I was inside and missed it.)

Footage, which is both eerie and spectacular, reminded me of the Shuttle Columbia reentry disaster in 2003.

Most observers did not comprehend what it was.

According to the National Weather Service in Seattle it was a Space-X Falcon 9 second stage from a March 4 Starlink launch falling out of orbit after a de-orbit burn failed. I saw one report saying it was supposed to disintegrate over the Southern Ocean south of Australia. (Missed it, by *that* much!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocor said:

It appears that SpaceX have identified the problem that led to Starship SN11s demise. A methane leak, causing a small fire that fried some of the craft's avionics.

I need to take note and be more careful not be break wind in the bed and trap any gas that could later combust if a spark is presented.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This is very nice - after being built purely as a demonstrator for a few flights NASA says they're going to carry on using Ingenuity rather than leave it sitting around, using it to scout ahead for the rover.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56951752

If this was never originally on the cards (it might've been an unofficial hopeful goal for all I know) the Ingenuity team must be thrilled.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Breaking! SpaceX SN15 Mars Starship does not explode on landing!

It still receives a gentle roasting around its bottom end upon landing though.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, rocor said:

It still receives a gentle roasting around its bottom end upon landing though.

That was quite a tense moment wondering whether it would go bang any second as they tried to put it out.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Fair play to the team (s ) at NASA with their current projects.  To balance this, however, you will need to notice the lack of speed cameras, traffic wardens, one-way gyratory systems, Deliveroo cyclists,  Inconsiderate drivers where skills don't match the power of the vehicle, traffic lights with poor timing intervals, and people rushing out to wash your windscreens when you stop. 

How long before the 'copter crashes in to the Soup Dragon, and who will be responsible?  Best call out the RAC!*

* Royal Astronomical soCiety. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, tomparryharry said:

Fair play to the team (s ) at NASA with their current projects.  To balance this, however, you will need to notice the lack of speed cameras, traffic wardens, one-way gyratory systems, Deliveroo cyclists,  Inconsiderate drivers where skills don't match the power of the vehicle, traffic lights with poor timing intervals, and people rushing out to wash your windscreens when you stop.

NASA are just a bunch of offroaders :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, 57xx said:

Or in this case, not breaking... into a million pieces.

Nah it’s SpaceX do it didn’t RUD or CAB instead it ALUIOP (actually landed upright in one piece :) )

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Any takers on a pool to see where bits of the Chinese Long March 5B launch vehicle will "land", perhaps this weekend? At 45°N I'm happily out of the line of fire - not that I would be particularly worried.

Somewhat "locally" we did have some debris from an uncontrolled SpaceX Falcon9 descent appear in a field a few weeks ago.

More recently, (on Tuesday) people saw a parade of SpaceX Starlink satellites overhead. Wish I had known and gone outside for a look. Video looked both eerie and impressive.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2021 at 13:26, Ozexpatriate said:

Any takers on a pool to see where bits of the Chinese Long March 5B launch vehicle will "land", perhaps this weekend? At 45°N I'm happily out of the line of fire - not that I would be particularly worried.

Somewhat "locally" we did have some debris from an uncontrolled SpaceX Falcon9 descent appear in a field a few weeks ago.

More recently, (on Tuesday) people saw a parade of SpaceX Starlink satellites overhead. Wish I had known and gone outside for a look. Video looked both eerie and impressive.

Mar-a-Lago?

• Funny 2

Awfully close to the Maldives, all that water and it could have ended up on a island.

I can understand the US being concerned about space farers being responsible for their junk, though I expect they made most of the noise because it was a Chinese craft and not one of theirs.