The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RIP Eddie Van Halen

57xx

• RMweb Gold

Sad to see one of the legends of guitar passed.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/eddie-van-halen-dead-1234794641/

I was never really into hair metal or twiddly diddley guitarists when I was younger so it only when I got older that  I appreciated his talent.

Time to go and listen a bit of Panama and Ain't Talkin' bout Love...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Recall seeing Eddie van Halen with Dave Lee Roth in their prime, Manchester Apollo 1980 or so, never seen so many Marshall amps & cabs on his backline, what a showman. Much better than the grumpy too loud AC/DC Back in Black show about the same time. So many great bands touring then.

Dava

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear this news. Until around 1995 I was only aware of Van Halen via the great single "Jump", but on the way to work in the car some mornings the radio station would often play "Why Can't This Be Love" instead, and I liked the sound of that so much I bought their "Best of" album, and later still, because I wanted more, "The Best of Both Worlds" double (I played this for the first time in a while in my new modelling den about three weeks ago - still flippin' brilliant). About five years ago I found most if not all of their studio albums in a, frankly rather cheaply packaged, box set in Sainsbury's - but hey, never mind the packaging, the CDs are great!

RIP Eddie Van Halen, and thanks for the music.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I still remember first hearing them as a teenager. The instant impact of Running With the Devil.

Only saw them once sadly as not long after I saw them DLR left and I did not like the Hagar version much.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

RIP Eddie.

The slightly worrying aspect for me is the fact many of my musical contemporarys are dying, some a bit younger, some a bit older.

Thanks for the music guys.

Mike.

I know exactly what you mean Mike, me too :(.....

.....then Deep Purple, four of whom are now well into their 70s, bring out a fantastic new album exactly two months ago, and are still touring (Dreaded Lurgy permitting), and I reckon I must be good for a few years yet :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Until around 1995 I was only aware of Van Halen via the great single "Jump",

I think that was the first song of their's I really heard too. Never liked it much so never got in to the band. It was only after hearing "Aint' Talkin' 'Bout Dub" by Apollo 440 and thinking what an awesome guitar riff they had used that I dug in to where the riff came from and a new door was opened.