What to do with old Tri-ang Princesses....

33C

1 hour ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

One last find before I look like I’m rambling:

IMG_2432.jpeg.a091f1f85c39722bd4f262b0430014c5.jpeg

I saw a custom model on eBay earlier this year, sawn-off Princess if you will, I wanted to try and get it but someone else won the bid, a few months later and I’d bought another broken Princess to use some chassis components from, the body went unused, so I tried to shorten the body, which I did! …Crudely!

Might come back to this model some day and finish it off…

Hi,

What did you have in mind for it. A Black 5, Rebuilt Patriot, Royal Scot or a Jubilee perhaps.

20 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi,

What did you have in mind for it. A Black 5, Rebuilt Patriot, Royal Scot or a Jubilee perhaps.

Not exactly sure what I was trying to replicate, just saw an eBay listing and thought “hey that’s cool, I want that”

Found a photo of the model I sent to a friend before the listing ended, like I said, I didn’t end up winning it, but I thought it was a nice custom and wanted one for myself, hence my shoddy attempt at such

IMG_6435.png.30b81d75644c1535d9059e093ce40877.png

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

14 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Not exactly sure what I was trying to replicate, just saw an eBay listing and thought “hey that’s cool, I want that”

Found a photo of the model I sent to a friend before the listing ended, like I said, I didn’t end up winning it, but I thought it was a nice custom and wanted one for myself, hence my shoddy attempt at such

IMG_6435.png.30b81d75644c1535d9059e093ce40877.png

That's a very nice looking conversion. Similar to one I did back in the 1970s. But it looks a far better job than I managed all those years ago.

7 hours ago, sandwich station said:

I think it thinks it's Evening Star. ;) 

When I got it it was having a severe personality breakdown. It could be heard muttering at night in the dark corners of rooms "coal wagons, coal wagons" over and over. She is much better now and goes by the name 46210 Lady Patricia. But she still gets a bit twitchy every time a coal trains passes her......... LOL

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

On 21/05/2023 at 15:46, The Johnster said:

motorising Airfix kit 61xx

I did something similar a few months back, shared it on another thread (“Let’s see your Airfix/Kitmaster kit”), not a Princess chassis, but components from a Princess were used.

IMG_0789.jpeg.7d7c6a7f2d1b3429d3ede05841e6fdad.jpeg

Solid Princess wheels were used (the earlier, smaller ones) on a Jinty chassis, Airfix GMR bogies on both ends, though I’ve since swapped the front to a cut-down Triang 3MT bogie due to the more accurate wheel size and the fact that the front bogie hated my Triang S3 track! The valve gear from the kit works just fine, a simple and cheap motorising option if you can get the wheels quartered correctly! Still need to figure out mounting the body though, currently only held on with blu tack.

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
Added detail
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

IMG_2714.jpeg.c0024f173d84ab909e86c2ca1aa1b604.jpeg

Just need to do some cosmetic work, tidy up the black paint, get the rest of the lining applied.

That's coming along well. 

Cheers, need to find where I put my BR crest transfers (I still have some from the Dapol School which I need to finish, painted it in a Southern livery so I still have the BR transfers), alongside the lining transfers, the blue paint I used is just some automotive paint dad had lying around, matched rather well to BR blue I thought, the black is Citadel “Abaddon Black”.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2020 at 03:14, 33C said:

The fourth axle is simply a piece of hardwood, cut and sanded and super-glued to the chassis at the rear. Measure the length between the con rod holes of the half rod your going to use,lay on the chassis and mark a centre. Line a steel rule along all axle centres to true up your fourth axle mark and drill through using a bit, of the correct diameter, checking it goes through square. Two un-flanged, centre drivers with the screw hole are used and off you go. dont forget to quarter them the same as the other driving wheels and, if any tight spots, twist wheel slightly and/or file a SLIGHTLY larger hole in the rod(s). After many years, this has not failed in traffic! The 8F was the guinea pig using solid wheels, the 47XX the result.

20201016_004012.jpg

20201016_003822.jpg

Out of interest, have you considered a Gresley P2 Mikado at all?

Here’s something nonsensical I decided to start throwing together from the offcuts from the scale length Princess…IMG_3165.jpeg.3be42d81841ce82dfbc707753b8686b3.jpeg

Wheels are spares from an old Hornby Inter-City 125, motor is going to be hidden in a carriage, a cut-down Triang MK1 which I’d attempted a poor repaint on in 2022, pistons are spares from a damaged Dapol/Kitmaster Prairie tank, they do operate! Track pins glued to the wheel discs hold them on, by no means a strong fix but it’s not like they’re going to be doing any hauling. Boiler is a plastic tube from some medical tape.

Will probably make a bunch of tiny carriages to go with this thing, debating how I’d introduce the model to the people at the local club…

Added detail
  • Like 2

I've been wanting to post a few of my locos in this thread for a while...

Here's one of my favourites, a Thompson L1. Sadly, I can't lay claim to the build, but it runs superbly.

IMG_1262.JPG.2e326950c567f9d77d2bd6228fca96c0.JPGIMG_1263.JPG.bb7f34ed1142616afdc20aba227905c1.JPG

You might be looking and asking what relevance this has to the thread... but it is based on a Tri-ang Princess chassis and retains the XO4 motor!

IMG_1264.JPG.6e298e3b4310df4a334c2a31f08aa20d.JPG

Whoever built it certainly had some skill 🙂

• Like 10

On 07/10/2023 at 19:33, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Here’s something nonsensical I decided to start throwing together from the offcuts from the scale length Princess…IMG_3165.jpeg.3be42d81841ce82dfbc707753b8686b3.jpeg

Wheels are spares from an old Hornby Inter-City 125, motor is going to be hidden in a carriage, a cut-down Triang MK1 which I’d attempted a poor repaint on in 2022, pistons are spares from a damaged Dapol/Kitmaster Prairie tank, they do operate! Track pins glued to the wheel discs hold them on, by no means a strong fix but it’s not like they’re going to be doing any hauling. Boiler is a plastic tube from some medical tape.

Will probably make a bunch of tiny carriages to go with this thing, debating how I’d introduce the model to the people at the loco club…

The best way to introduce these to club members is to get there early, unscrew the light bulbs, hide behind the door with a torch under your chin, pointing upwards, and as they walk in, leap out, with no trousers on, proffering the models and shout, " Behold the future!".

That should do it.

Let us know how you get on....

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

Hear me out:

Triang 3801IMG_3321.jpeg.72f1ee617340dd7157438aa428fc9144.jpeg

Rather surprised they never made 3801 for their Australian range, the NSWGR C38 Pacifics already existed well before Triang Railways did, would be a fun thing to see both streamlined and unstreamlined variants of the C38s made in the cheap, Triang build style…

Thinking of it already, Princess chassis, specifically one of the versions with the large, solid wheels (making it easier to fill them in with Milliput, though I imagine Triang themselves would use Battle of Britain wheels if they ever made a 3801 model), extended crank pins to mount Walschearts valve gear, debating if I’d fit Britannia gear or standard Princess valve gear and do what I did for my Battle of Britain model, remove the crosshead guide and bottom slidebar.IMG_0823.jpeg.05e8ff55fb5e1a5e67d5bfeccf5105d7.jpegIMG_3320.jpeg.22940fa4f58060b84674142ebf6cd056.jpeg

Just an idea for now, that’ll probably be my next big project after finishing the scale length Princess though…

Added detail
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Triang 3801

I have an idea about the boiler...Those very large, plastic, chunky blanket, knitting needles. 35cm x 35 / 40mm.... 

I have used these in the past for other projects, but only when i find them in the charity shops for 50p a pair.

• RMweb Gold
On 12/10/2023 at 21:27, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Hear me out:

Triang 3801IMG_3321.jpeg.72f1ee617340dd7157438aa428fc9144.jpeg

Rather surprised they never made 3801 for their Australian range

Hornby did plan a streamlined Victorian Railways S class at around the same time as it released its GM class Co-Co and a proving model was built, but sadly it never got any further. There's a photo of it in Vol.3 of Pat Hammond's Story of Rovex and very nice it is too.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lima also did the streamlined NSWGR C38, they go for a pretty penny now from what I’ve seen, tender alone for £25!

Also, 3801 herself was never unstreamlined, 5 of the class were streamliners, the remaining 25 weren’t, 3801, as the first built, was one of the streamliners, I believe 3801-3805 were streamlined, 3806-3830 weren’t

• Informative/Useful 2