What to do with old Tri-ang Princesses....

33C

On 05/10/2023 at 13:47, 33C said:

Yes, it's on the to-do list, at about no.5......

Been thinking about doing a P2 model for a while now, considering what to do in terms of the chassis though, since a rear bogie needs to be accommodated for too, would it be a good idea to have the two blind drivers directly next to each other in the middle with the flanged ones either end to allow for better cornering, and screwing an unmodified bogie into the wooden extension? As opposed to fitting a blind driver onto the end, keeping the turning radius the same and allowing the rear to swing out on corners.

Edit: Thinking about that after posting, that would mean more work to do in terms of modifying the pickups, as if you were to move the flanged driver back onto the extension then you’d have to extend the pickup fitted to the insulated pickup plate to make contact with the insulated wheel, and you’d lose conductivity on the grounded wheel by moving the flanged axle onto a non conductive surface, there’s another thing to consider…

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 1

Don't overthink it. Look at my 8F and 47XX. Pick ups are standard, rods self explanatory from the pictures. Wheels are unmoved. The extra axle is mounted in a block of hardwood, glued in place and drilled through on the centre line. A trailing bogie I would fashion from a piece of tin, (biscuit tin lid?), bent into an elongated S with a tube glued to the end through which a standard Hornby axle can be placed, drilled the other end and screwed into the wood. False frames can be glued under the cab or on an 'M' frame mounted on the pony. Doddle. Remember, K.I.S.S. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Bringing these over from the “eBay madness” thread if anyone’s interested in these conversions.

@33C do send more if you can find any :)

Might be trying out the King Arthur conversion for myself at some point too…

IMG_4331.jpeg

IMG_4332.jpeg

IMG_4333.jpeg

IMG_4408.jpeg

IMG_4409.jpeg

This is what modelling is all about!

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, 33C said:

Something a bit different with a princess chassis...

20231116_182443.jpg

20231116_182456.jpg

20231116_182416.jpg

I do have a spare Hiawatha body… (Early type, acetate with the fixed cowcatcher) cost me around £10 and arrived with the cowcatcher falling apart, so it’s not in the best shape, used it’s wheels for one of my Prairie tanks, and I don’t want to ruin my complete Hiawatha (later type, polystyrene body, cowcatcher on the front bogie), could be a fun project, I do need more diverse wheel configs in my collection too, mostly 4-6-2s as of the current moment…

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 33C said:

Something a bit different with a princess chassis..

Ahhh the memories. The artistry and skill of the likes of  Sydney M Moir, Midlander and Costigan still stands appreciated today in these pages. Luverly stuff.

Thanks, Rich

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, 33C said:

POW!20231116_182338.jpg.968561ee4609af6211dbbc887db7dc43.jpg20231116_182352.jpg.3000ec3dda49637900bdfe0f933aa4a7.jpg

I converted a second hand Princess to a Class 5 or Jubilee based on a Railway Modeller article, before re-purposing the chassis for a Sligo Leitrim and Northern Counties 0-6-4T with a scratchbuilt tin plate body.  As far as I recall I picked up the Princess basic model unlined black without outside valve gear for abut £1.5 at a model railway club sale, I also picked up a Triang-Hornby Jinty chassis which I unsuccessfully re-purposed as a chassis block for a 4-4-0.

Modifications to the chassis included replacing the Princes driving wheels with wheels from a Triang-Hornby 0-6-0 crudely filed to a narrower profile.

Curiously the 0-6-4T turned out to be a smooth and reliable runner, my first successful attempt at wheel quartering.  Although my early attempts at scratchbuilding locos on rtr chassis were not the most successful they laid the groundwork for my first successful attempts at kit and scratchbuilding several years later.

Almost feel tempted to repeat a Black 5 or Jubilee conversion for a 60s retro layout as a change from todays hi-fidelity rtr models

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

I do have a spare Hiawatha body… (Early type, acetate with the fixed cowcatcher) cost me around £10 and arrived with the cowcatcher falling apart, so it’s not in the best shape, used it’s wheels for one of my Prairie tanks, and I don’t want to ruin my complete Hiawatha (later type, polystyrene body, cowcatcher on the front bogie), could be a fun project, I do need more diverse wheel configs in my collection too, mostly 4-6-2s as of the current moment…

Come to think of it… One of the guys at my local club has a Hiawatha, he doesn’t model continental stuff and scrapped it for spares but I’m pretty sure he still has the body… 4-8-4 Hiawatha anyone? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Come to think of it… One of the guys at my local club has a Hiawatha, he doesn’t model continental stuff and scrapped it for spares but I’m pretty sure he still has the body… 4-8-4 Hiawatha anyone? 

I wonder if it would be possible to use the Tri-ang 4-6-2 chassis to motorise the old Kitmaster New York Central Hudson?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, papagolfjuliet said:

I wonder if it would be possible to use the Tri-ang 4-6-2 chassis to motorise the old Kitmaster New York Central Hudson?

I was thinking of that, if you can find one for a decent price then I’d go for it, static display piece? Free rolling loco to be pushed by another powered item? I think not!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

I was thinking of that, if you can find one for a decent price then I’d go for it, static display piece? Free rolling loco to be pushed by another powered item? I think not!

Unbuilt ones seem to be going for around £25 on ebay; double that for a well built one.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Family’s gone swimming to celebrate grandma’s birthday, which I was unable to participate in due to health reasons (nothing serious but I shan’t elaborate), so whilst they were out I decided to take a trip to the local antique store, I think you all know how that ended…

Probably overpaid, £30 for this one when the £20 one that arrived this morning was in better condition (paint wise at least), but that’s another Princess to convert!
IMG_4462.jpeg.a52749d79b04f63c0600b2e42224ed61.jpeg

• Like 2

On 17/11/2023 at 11:13, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

What about the Revell NYC Hudson, or shorten the Big Boy?

Or, their German loco kits could be Anglicised?

How about a "Cab forward" or a Camel-back!

Edited by 33C
Added detail.
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Family’s gone swimming to celebrate grandma’s birthday, which I was unable to participate in due to health reasons (nothing serious but I shan’t elaborate), so whilst they were out I decided to take a trip to the local antique store, I think you all know how that ended…

Probably overpaid, £30 for this one when the £20 one that arrived this morning was in better condition (paint wise at least), but that’s another Princess to convert!
IMG_4462.jpeg.a52749d79b04f63c0600b2e42224ed61.jpeg

Next time, have a haggle.!

Don't ask, don't get. Start at half price and ask, "does it work?" See where it goes....

Otherwise you won't be let out on your own again!

• Funny 2