What to do with old Tri-ang Princesses....

33C

And here is my first attempt at making a Princess scale length using a very early, plunger, loco chassis and two, warped, acetate bodies. Good practice for the B.R. maroon version that came later.

20201031_010410.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2023 at 21:35, 33C said:

A knackered example, serviced, refurbished and a repaint into early 1949 BR blue, just for 5hits 'n' giggles!

20230429_015322.jpg

20230429_015350.jpg

20230429_015524.jpg

That's a standout! Aside from blue being my favorite color, I've always liked blue on a steam locomotive and this is brilliant work. Shame BR discontinued 'Express Blue' so soon. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, LL1060 said:

That's a standout! Aside from blue being my favorite color, I've always liked blue on a steam locomotive and this is brilliant work. Shame BR discontinued 'Express Blue' so soon. 

I have been picking up old princesses left, right and centre lately. About 9 so far! Chuff tenders, smoke units, plain and lined. All around the £5-10 mark. Filing down the flanges, rust removal, de-grease, fresh oil, couple of dry joints resoldered on the commutators and they live! Some must be 60+ years old. You can't kill a Triang!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LL1060 said:

If your interested, the blue I used was Revell 52 French blue, which is lighter than the Humbrol 14, but stir well!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi 33C

Having seen your Caprotti Black Five. Look what I saw on e-bay and couldn't resist. Like many Princess conversions it isn't a show case model but it was created by someone and that to me made it worth buying and saving.

010a.jpg.59f52ad54fde2c7a62d5fb94771d23bf.jpg

012a.jpg.d4b5d4a90541857c55054e057a316b07.jpg

It goes like a rocket with a good trailing load. Sad thing it is confined to the mainlines as its wheels are too course for the code 75 track I have in the station.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi 33C

Having seen your Caprotti Black Five. Look what I saw on e-bay and couldn't resist. Like many Princess conversions it isn't a show case model but it was created by someone and that to me made it worth buying and saving.

010a.jpg.59f52ad54fde2c7a62d5fb94771d23bf.jpg

012a.jpg.d4b5d4a90541857c55054e057a316b07.jpg

It goes like a rocket with a good trailing load. Sad thing it is confined to the mainlines as its wheels are too course for the code 75 track I have in the station.

Great spot, good rescue! I like it. Out with the files and grindstone, get those flanges down!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 33C said:

I was wondering what the thinking was behind the choice of motive power for this set?  Great painting though!

360_fe1f2706b02c1e0ee7962dc970ee0370.jpg

To be honest it looks like Hornby just raided the bins and threw in what they could find. A B12 would probably been a better choice of loco.

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, cypherman said:

To be honest it looks like Hornby just raided the bins and threw in what they could find. A B12 would probably been a better choice of loco.

At a push, a Britannia, if it had to be a pacific. Or, a B.R. black version of the Princess as the L.M.S. livery looks a little incongruous. (I believe the FORD ferry-van was only available in this set.)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 33C said:

I would love a set of prints of all the box set artwork from this time.....

This is the set I would love to get. It was my first ever trainset. Bought for my fifth birthday. Sadly it has all gone in the mists of time.

oldSmokeycat.jpg

RS61LID.jpg

RS61M.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 6

On 30/10/2020 at 11:42, RedgateModels said:

I turned up a full 360 degree splasher out of brass then cut the appropriate section out - replaced it all. This was back in the day when I had a Myford Super 7 to hand ....

Deflectors are Millholm Models Patriot, unsure of the double chimney but was bought at the same time as the deflectors. Good old Gee Dees

The rest of it was scratch built from bits of aluminium (turnbines) and brass sheet (left side cover) and bits of wire.

Oh oh oh!,never get rid of your S7!.

Ray.

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, cypherman said:

This is the set I would love to get. It was my first ever trainset. Bought for my fifth birthday. Sadly it has all gone in the mists of time.

oldSmokeycat.jpg

RS61LID.jpg

RS61M.jpg

Grab the individual pieces as they turn up on ebay etc, knock up a repro box from art board, print off a picture of the box art and glue it on. (My local haberdasher's has the equipment to print this for sub £10).  Cheapest i could find for the 3 items of stock plus track, came to £24 as buy-it-now's.  Better than the £180 for a slightly scuffed complete set!

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, cypherman said:

RS61M.jpg

I've got one of those red/cream coaches from that set. One of the odd things is how many of those composites (including the one I have) actually had the brake roof with periscopes. I see the one in that set is like that too. The version with the correct roof seems rarer, but also exists.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 02/06/2023 at 00:50, 33C said:

And here is my first attempt at making a Princess scale length using a very early, plunger, loco chassis and two, warped, acetate bodies. Good practice for the B.R. maroon version that came later.

20201031_010410.jpg

From memory, many years ago Albert Goodall produced a scale length Princess from a Triang Model, which was featured in Railway Modeller. 

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, 33C said:

Grab the individual pieces as they turn up on ebay etc, knock up a repro box from art board, print off a picture of the box art and glue it on. (My local haberdasher's has the equipment to print this for sub £10).  Cheapest i could find for the 3 items of stock plus track, came to £24 as buy-it-now's.  Better than the £180 for a slightly scuffed complete set!

Hi 33C,

The problem is with the loco. It is not the standard Deeley 3F. It had the worlds first done in the factory weathering. That is why it is special. I have 4 normal Deeley 3Fs in BR and Midland colours in my collection already.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

From what I can see, it was a bit slapdash! A couple of blows from a spray gun with frame dirt. Easily replicated on a Deeley 3F with a less than perfect body....think they did it on a "Nellie" as well.

Edited by 33C
Added detail.

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2020 at 18:09, 33C said:

No, just some plasticard false frames laid over the original frame to give it the proper length. And new firebox sides from card. Note the steam pipes from thick cooker wire to meet the cylinders. The bogie truck is standard. I just used the forward screw hole on the chassis and i used some Jackson Evans wheels i had lying around. The body of the 1946 LMS ,Plunger pick-up loco should show the cuts. Cut 1 is 4mm from the cab of one body through the firebox and cut 2 is through the boiler approx 6mm from the smokebox ring. get another (damaged/old) body and cut off the smokebox and the cab and glue the remaining boiler between the first two bits. (you are replacing the missing 2 feet) ,then fill and smooth. The mounting points to the chassis have to be packed out to fit but not by much. The LMS 1946 Loco was only done because both bodies i had were very warped and became the guinea pig for the maroon princess. (see below). An article appeared in an early Railway Modeller in the late 60's that showed precisely this. Hope this helps?

20201031_010410.jpg

20201104_222520.jpg

I went and bought another Princess last night with the intent of doing this modification for myself, how did you remove the original steam pipes? 

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst reorganising the shelves I found a Princess I customised back in 2021, from when I was relatively new to customising models, I’ve come far since then…

IMG_2426.jpeg.061fc54a1cfc103efbfd72c0e552a90b.jpeg

Model is a BR black Princess separated from a train set, I believe set R3A, smoke deflectors are from a static Duchess of Sutherland model, lining was done with trimline tape on the top of the boiler, firebox, cab and tender (bottom lining on boiler and firebox, below the handrails, was done with acrylic paint pens), really tempted to redo the lining with waterslide decals now that I’ve got experience with those. Tender is a spare from a busted BR Green Scotsman (busted as in “running on incorrect chassis”), painted to match, the crest/number plate decals are just bits of paper held in place with varnish!

No particular IRL basis for this, though if I *had* to say a basis I’d say a Stanier Duchess, but in actuality I just wanted to make something unique to me.

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
Added detail
  • Like 6

One last find before I look like I’m rambling:

IMG_2432.jpeg.a091f1f85c39722bd4f262b0430014c5.jpeg

I saw a custom model on eBay earlier this year, sawn-off Princess if you will, I wanted to try and get it but someone else won the bid, a few months later and I’d bought another broken Princess to use some chassis components from, the body went unused, so I tried to shorten the body, which I did! …Crudely!

Might come back to this model some day and finish it off…

• Like 4