What to do with old Tri-ang Princesses....

33C

Been rather indecisive over what to do with that second Princess I acquired last weekend, and I’m considering not converting it.

….At least not converting it to another loco, I’ve been somewhat burnt out by the Prairie tanks and it’s left me with some spare tender drive 5MT wheels, which just happen to be the same size as the early Princess wheels, so I’m considering rewheeling it to run on my club’s code 100 layout…

• Like 2

Need to figure out what to use for the bogies and tender in terms of finer wheels, but for the loco? Tender drive Black 5 wheels seem to be the way forward.

IMG_4727.jpeg.3c936115cac83604c2ffc975af1482da.jpegIMG_4726.jpeg.7534a7d2633471aeb6278f03d5eeedc2.jpeg

Once I’ve sorted out the remaining wheels, off to the club she goes! May even repaint her since the decals are worn and she has a nasty sticky-spot from the price tag… Debating either a nicer green, or another in BR blue.

Also debating nicer details, separate wire handrails, etched nameplates, etc.

• Like 2

Lighter petrol will remove the sticky label glue. Paint sellotape orange and cut into strips when dry for the cabside/tender lining. Put the bogie axles in a dremel, one wheel at a time, and rub against some sandpaper or file, to take down the flanges. (You can knock out the pony/tender wheels after oiling the axles, or file them down in situ.)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Just remembered (don’t ask how I forgot) I have a PLA 3D printer I’ve been meaning to get the bed reset on, once I sort that out I’ll have plenty more opportunities for modelling, so I may or may not have began designing something, currently just a basic drawing of the Princess chassis, unsure of what I’ll attempt to design to fit it, will post again once I’ve thought of something…

Made the wheels slightly oversized, that way I have the extra wiggle-room for clearances.

IMG_4756.jpeg.e6c9b1cb60168e3f37e8109de4a47dc8.jpeg

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 1

What about a modified  Triang "Hiawatha" on Triang, Bullied wheels?

Punch out the crankpin screw holder and punch in the Princess, long crankpin so you can use the valve gear.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 33C said:

What about a modified  Triang "Hiawatha" on Triang, Bullied wheels?

Punch out the crankpin screw holder and punch in the Princess, long crankpin so you can use the valve gear.

Also a good idea, however I’ve wanted to put that printer to use for a good while now, had it over a year and only made minor spare components, like a new front stepladder for a Tyco 2-8-0, or a tension lock coupler for a Mantua Pacific (so I can run it with Triang TC stock).

• Like 2

IMG_4803.jpeg.c92936a91c25aa13a59fd76d8d0b2713.jpeg

Look what showed up! Might modify to take Walschearts valve gear (I’ve got spare Princess wheels with the long crank pin from the conversion I did on the BR green one to 5MT wheels) and use it’s chassis for the Hudson I’m planning, will be designing custom cylinders, piston rods and such so only the coupling rods are really needed, could probably use the existing slidebars though, if cut up properly then I can use two as crosshead slidebars and the other two as the pistons.

Edit: Whilst I designed the chassis with the intent of using the large Princess wheels, I’ll probably use smalls just since that’s what I have at the moment.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Not a Princess conversion, but here’s something I just thought of…

IMG_5820.jpeg.899ce9f774f6efe78df4bab15935d525.jpeg

Got a Lord Westwood earlier this year, was in a right state though, so I’m using its chassis under another Dapol BoB kitbash, but out of curiosity I paired the Hall body with the modified chassis (Princess cylinders fitted, further back than the Hall ones).

Hall to Castle conversion anyone? Hall chassis, front bogie modded to take Princess bogie wheels, same valve gear modification, and the necessary modifications to modify the Hall body.

• Like 3

Hi,

You can do a lot with a hall chassis. Here is an old Ringfield Black 5 body with a Hall chassis pulling a Princess tender. So it now runs with an X03 motor. One day I will sort out the rest of the valvegear. I have it but have just not got round to it.

black5 hall 2.jpg

Black5 Hall.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, cypherman said:

Hi,

You can do a lot with a hall chassis. Here is an old Ringfield Black 5 with a Hall chassis. So it now runs with an X03 motor. One day I will sort out the rest of the valvegear. I have it but have just not got round to it.

black5 hall 2.jpg

Black5 Hall.jpg

Was literally just typing out a message when you sent that, been tempted to try something similar myself, with an X.04 and the drive gear from a Jinty or Princess, fitted on the rear driving axle in the loco, could maybe pull a SamsTrains and have the Ringfield in the tender for double power?

• Like 1

Just now, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Was literally just typing out a message when you sent that, been tempted to try something similar myself, with an X.04 and the drive gear from a Jinty or Princess, could maybe pull a SamsTrains and have the Ringfield in the tender for double power?

Hi,

I tried that but could not get the 2 motors to run well together. The Ringfield motor was always pushing the X03 motor. Still it pulls 6 Hornby BR mk1's with ease as is.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Not a Princess conversion, but here’s something I just thought of…

Got a Lord Westwood earlier this year, was in a right state though, so I’m using its chassis under another Dapol BoB kitbash, but out of curiosity I paired the Hall body with the modified chassis (Princess cylinders fitted, further back than the Hall ones).

Hall to Castle conversion anyone? Hall chassis, front bogie modded to take Princess bogie wheels, same valve gear modification, and the necessary modifications to modify the Hall body.

The Hall has a smaller boiler than a Castle but would suit a Star with the cab suitably altered.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

The Hall has a smaller boiler than a Castle but would suit a Star with the cab suitably altered.

Might put my Westwood’s body to use then… Planning on getting a Rosebud CoT to pair with a motorised Airfix CoT tender, which will leave me with another tender of that particular type, could pair the Westwood body with a new chassis, and pair that modification with a CoT tender…

• Like 2

Hi all,

Thinking on the Hall/Black 5 I posted earlier I was wondering if I should use a Sir Dinadan chassis to get a better set of valve gear. Rather than try and shoe horn a bodged Valve gear bracket on to the Hall chassis. Especially as the Sir Dinadan chassis is basically an updated Hall one.

DSC_0925.JPG

DSC_1081.JPG

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

If that’s what you feel is best then go for it!

Perhaps we should consider changing the thread name to just “What to do with old Triang models”? Would give us more to share without starting entire new threads…

Hi all,

Not a bad idea, But I would not want to take away the cudos of 33C's wonderful Princess conversions that go way beyond my capabilities.

• Agree 2

Good morning, and a merry Christmas to you all.

IMG_6224.jpeg.573084ba3af33bbed91826b1ebb1cc3e.jpeg

Managed to snag a few busted Princesses for Christmas, no motors, £30 for all three, Victoria is in the best shape, whereas the red Elizabeth (repainted from a green) is by far the worst, I’ve heard of pitting but the condition the wheels are in looks like someone took a hammer and chisel to them! 

IMG_6226.jpeg.86be3322d18a8dab2890ab581dda7f18.jpegIMG_6225.jpeg.cc96a1496495489035140c588df26d91.jpeg

I can probably toss a motor in Victoria and have that run without modifications, debating what to do with the other two though… Might do a rebuilt condition Scot with the green one? Swap it’s centre drivers with the ones from the red Princess, and build a rebuilt Scot to go alongside the unrebuilt I’ve started.

• Like 4

So in January this year I bought a GraFar OO 5MT, £22, had no idea it had zinc pest in the chassis until it arrived, since then I’ve been stuck with the body, tried to win another today but got beaten by around £4, and after finding a job kit for £10k (see eBay madness thread) I had a look at the packaging, found they used a BR blue liveried 5MT on some boxes!

Specifically referring to the box which has a more front-facing view, note the step inwards on the front of the frames, and how the boiler sits partially sunken into the board, definitely a Black 5.

IMG_6326.jpeg.b6f44b398eda24a863c221da237c4f33.jpeg

Got me tempted to make a model based on that livery, so I’m debating fitting (and if need be, cutting down) the GraFar body I own to one of the Princess chassis’s from that lot I got for Christmas… Fit some new wheels to the red Princess’ chassis, and modify the body to fit. Would still very much love to get a hold of an original GraFar 5MT, but I don’t really see any chances of that happening any time soon, besides, it’s an excuse to get another loco on the roster!

• Like 2

It wouldn't be the first time a Tri-ang chassis was used under a Farish body. In the late '50s S. French & Sons of Tolworth, Surrey used to advertise a Farish Merchant Navy on a Tri-ang Princess chassis, complete with spoked wheels, of course. They also sold re-chassied Farish Kings.

• Informative/Useful 2