What to do with old Tri-ang Princesses....

33C

2 minutes ago, 33C said:

What about the Revell NYC Hudson, or shorten the Big Boy?

Or, their German loco kits could be Anglicised?

I was considering their German loco kits on a Princess chassis, yeah… Haven’t been able to find a Hudson though, shame as that’s one I really want to have charging around my layout at the head of some Triang transcon carriages…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 33C said:

Next time, have a haggle.!

Don't ask, don't get. Start at half price and ask, "does it work?" See where it goes....

Otherwise you won't be let out on your own again!

I did ask if he’d be able to lower the price, but he wasn’t able to, there was a B12 up for grabs, £25, but he was willing to drop to £22 due to a damaged wheel… But I wanted another Princess, and I had the cash, means I’m not limited to just making one of the conversions either, not the first time I’ve picked one up for that sort of price though.

• Friendly/supportive 1

If anyone needs a Triang Princess that runs on Code 100 rail for messing with, ping me - I've got a black one, repainted at least twice, which ran beautifully when I last used it in 1999 (cant and wont guarantee it does so now but I think it extremely likely its revivable even if it doesnt immediately)

When I got it it had been repainted into LMS wartime black, I reverted it to BR Black. Hasnt got see-through wheels, its the last version that had solid backing on them.

• Like 1

Will have to give ‘em the standard treatment for getting them running properly… Sand the wheels just ‘till they shine, clean out the motor, lube ‘em up and they’ll be mechanically sound, then it’s a matter of choosing what I want to turn them into before they go to the chop block…

IMG_4469.jpeg.1148349cfc4bb8124db1676a3075acba.jpeg

Also yes, on some Triang locos I’ll sand the wheels to clean them, since earlier models had steel wheels (which allowed the creation of the magnetic traction gimmick some models had), and as steel tarnishes I find simply swabbing them clean doesn’t do the trick as well as it should. A controversial choice? Maybe, but I find it works far better than *just* swabbing, though I do still use a cleaning fluid after sanding. Recently got one of those room dehumidifier tubs too so that should assist in slowing the tarnishing and generally keeping the models a bit safer.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Will have to give ‘em the standard treatment for getting them running properly… Sand the wheels just ‘till they shine, clean out the motor, lube ‘em up and they’ll be mechanically sound, then it’s a matter of choosing what I want to turn them into before they go to the chop block…

IMG_4469.jpeg.1148349cfc4bb8124db1676a3075acba.jpeg

Also yes, on some Triang locos I’ll sand the wheels to clean them, since earlier models had steel wheels (which allowed the creation of the magnetic traction gimmick some models had), and as steel tarnishes I find simply swabbing them clean doesn’t do the trick as well as it should. A controversial choice? Maybe, but I find it works far better than *just* swabbing, though I do still use a cleaning fluid after sanding. Recently got one of those room dehumidifier tubs too so that should assist in slowing the tarnishing and generally keeping the models a bit safer.

Shades of Camden.....

Just gone and serviced one Princess, thought I’d show the comparison between sanded and unsanded wheels.

IMG_4483.jpeg.a2898063b0ceda01394965b05ccad121.jpeg

Left chassis runs considerably better than the one on the right, I simply hook the motor directly to my power supply, get the wheels turning, use a fine grit sandpaper to polish off the tarnishing on the rail contact surface (and the backs of the insulated wheels which make contact with the pickups), cut the power supply, brush any filings and dust away, then swab clean with white spirit, again with wheels turning, dry off the cleaning fluid, and it’s right as rain!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

34 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

building and fixing? 

No, no. You carry on! Ever thought about doing an 80XX "Cathedral" class? A design of pacific that Hawksworth put forward for the GWR. Basically, a princess with King style cab, brass safety valve bonnet, elbow steam pipes and twin whistles. I did one yonks ago for a friend, but paired it with a scratch-built, Hawksworth tender body on a Triang Hall tender chassis. Google it in images......

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 minutes ago, 33C said:

an 80XX "Cathedral" class

I have considered such in the past, saw a fancy conversion someone sold earlier this year based on a Train Sim model, Princess with GWR details and a King tender, heck, with the right mods you could probably do what Sam did to that School… Dual motor loco, Lima King tender with the motor still fitted hooked behind an 80XX on the Princess chassis, still fitted with the motor… Would be a fun one to charge around with a long rake behind it…

Edit: Just went to google for images of the 80XX and found a conversion someone else has done to the Triang Princess…

IMG_4498.jpeg.2e8214f72a6ee9f87a3427525d749b6d.jpeg

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

found a conversion

That looks very much like my mate Dave's version from his old layout. I recognise his trademark red steps!

(Annoyingly, the armistice day poppy stems are no longer plastic. They were ideal for GWR safety valve bonnets...)

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Finally decided on one of the conversions, unrebuilt Scot, already got the frames cut to size, need to find a 3/4in diameter tube though…

IMG_4504.jpeg.23fb0c627e0d64d41ff3793b2c1296c8.jpeg

How about nicking one from an old Hornby patriot. There is one on Ebay for £5.99 with a buy it now sale.

7 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

a 3/4in diameter tube

Try the tubes they sell for cake baking/support. Many sizes, takes glue well and easily cut. Come in packs of 2,4,6 etc. Cheap too.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

@33C

Recently watched Train of Thought's new video on the Australian 4-8-4 "Heavy Harry", you reckon that'd be a decent loco to attempt? An interesting design which I'm certainly tempted to try... Might try and grind the flanges off some spare wheels I have, not as ideal as using factory-made unflanged drivers, but if filed the right way you could have increased traction by having more driven wheels that are actually in contact with the rail...

image.png.7809e9bb4335cb00f24cd3288d1aab41.png

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

@33C

Recently watched Train of Thought's new video on the Australian 4-8-4 "Heavy Harry", you reckon that'd be a decent loco to attempt? An interesting design which I'm certainly tempted to try... Might try and grind the flanges off some spare wheels I have, not as ideal as using factory-made unflanged drivers, but if filed the right way you could have increased traction by having more driven wheels that are actually in contact with the rail...

image.png.7809e9bb4335cb00f24cd3288d1aab41.png

Sounds like a plan!

I'm amazed at the variety of locomotives exported abroad and constructed in their own workshops.

Thousands of amazing locomotives, many scales and gauges, lots of bright and gaudy liveries, tons of modelling potential!

Example, the bullet nosed pacifics of Indian railways.

Certainly a stand out on the layout.....

• Agree 2

On 18/11/2023 at 13:37, 33C said:

Next time, have a haggle.!

Don't ask, don't get. Start at half price and ask, "does it work?" See where it goes....

Otherwise you won't be let out on your own again!

IMG_4660.jpeg.7859a666121ae4159fab0b46ee9a3c12.jpeg

These the sort of prices you’re on about? :)

Chassis will go to… Something, not sure what yet, body’s an acetate and warped, but the tender’s a Rovex (coupler gives it away) so I may pair that up with my Rovex Princess…

IMG_4658.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, 33C said:

The Indian Railways XC Pacific  in red livery.

image.png.f3f6dd1f084544a9bd819ce2c9e519bf.png

Not the livery you listed but it sure does look like a fun one to model... Can't find anything in terms of technical drawings, but they had 6'2 drivers, so by using a rather unorthodox method of measuring...

image.png.85381d5c3ddf64c426213b24d575c7ca.png

I've managed to work out the loco was roughly 43.1ft long (including buffers), the tender roughly 30.8ft long (again, including buffers), measures around 13ft 5in tall, hope this helps if you've been considering modelling it.

Updated measurements
  • Like 1