Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

I have a confession. 

While I had heard of some US TV programme Keeping up with the Kardashians, I mistakenly assumed that it was something to do with Star Trek.

I was disabused of this when its eponymous star, Kim Kardashian, was reported by Radio 4 as visiting the UK, IIRC some 3-4 years ago.  I still have very little idea of who she is, or of her significance; she seems to be some sort of It Girl. At least I am clear, however, that she is not a baddy from Star Trek.

Anyway, she popped up on Radio 4 again today for wearing Marilyn Monroe's dress at the Met Gala. Commentators felt this was a reckless thing to do with a museum piece (the frock, not La Kardashian).

The Met Gala is also a confusing thing for me, but it seems to be a fashion display by Celebs, who presumably would otherwise clearly lack opportunities for dressing up and going to parties.

Radio 4 also tells me that it has a theme, and this year it was The Gilded Age (think New York High Society in 1890s Paris couture).  Judging from the pictures Miss T has insisted upon showing me, few of the Celebs seem to have got that Memo.

This chap, Sebastian Stan, I had heard of, as he plays Bucky in the MCU, spending time in which is one of my guilty pleasures. What I'm less clear about is why he attended the Met Gala dressed as a bottle of pepto bismol?

image.png.8cb2ba5e6813790ccfddfe8aacd55dbc.png

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

This chap, Sebastian Stan, I had heard of, as he plays Bucky in the MCU, spending time in which is one of my guilty pleasures. What I'm less clear about is why he attended the Met Gala dressed as a bottle of pepto bismol?

I think he's been to the same Platinum Jubilee suppliers as the SVR.

It's called the Met Gala. Do all these folk go in and listen to a programme of arias from the current season's productions, or what?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3

I’m really quite glad that, until approximately a minute ago, I knew nothing about any of this. I’m less glad that I now do know a tiny bit about it.

This chap seems excited by it all.

Perhaps he actually is a baddie from Star Trek, he has that look about him.

8472B3C5-8162-4F50-87BE-A4E0DD2F777D.jpeg.b3143cb936f10a490e45b9bfd341e6e6.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

PS: I collected another in the series “Places of Assembly in Buckinghamshire” today, this one in Buckingham itself, just up the hill from where the GCR terminus wasn’t.

1DBA4D43-63F6-4BA0-85A2-E541972CCD2F.jpeg.ba0f95cdc2c30d7a21f9731ff633cecf.jpeg

The inscription above the door seems appropriate in the light of that bloke dressed in dayglo pink.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

chap, Sebastian Stan, I had heard of, as he plays Bucky in the MCU, spending time in which is one of my guilty pleasures. What I'm less clear about is why he attended the Met Gala dressed as a bottle of pepto bismol?

It would be a hoot and a holler to dress like that and attend a MAGA rally or maybe  NASCAR.

Apparently in the US they have these bum doctors that'll squirt something squishy up your date to make your ar5e huge, for some reason  that's a look these days over there.

I remember after Kim Kardashian had it done she got some fancy photographer in then  posted pictures of herself up online  because of course she would. I remember checking them out under a story  headlined "Kim Kardashian breaks the internet!" and thinking "How'd she break it, did she sit on it?"

• Funny 9

12 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m really quite glad that, until approximately a minute ago, I knew nothing about any of this. I’m less glad that I now do know a tiny bit about it.

This chap seems excited by it all.

Perhaps he actually is a baddie from Star Trek, he has that look about him.

8472B3C5-8162-4F50-87BE-A4E0DD2F777D.jpeg.b3143cb936f10a490e45b9bfd341e6e6.jpeg

He does remind me of someone ....

image.png.fcd171145836f392ecbd09ccf767dd20.png

11 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I remember after Kim Kardashian had it done she got some fancy photographer in then  posted pictures of herself up online  because of course she would. I remember checking them out under a story  headlined "Kim Kardashian breaks the internet!" and thinking "How'd she break it, did she sit on it?"

Which reminds me of ...

• Funny 3

Rather oddly, I sit here listening to the sounds of war, at present almost on a daily, or nightly, basis.

I first noticed it 2-3 weeks ago whilst walking the dogs one morning. I realised I was hearing the once familiar 'blat' of SA80s firing on a rifle range, in this case Feldom Ranges. I would not have thought the sound would have carried so far, but wind direction and atmospheric conditions do funny things in that regard. 

I find it strangely comforting, but have not been here long enough to judge whether the frequency of firing has increased following the re-invasion of Ukraine. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 05/05/2022 at 19:08, Edwardian said:

I have a confession. 

While I had heard of some US TV programme Keeping up with the Kardashians, I mistakenly assumed that it was something to do with Star Trek.

I was disabused of this when its eponymous star, Kim Kardashian, was reported by Radio 4 as visiting the UK, IIRC some 3-4 years ago.  I still have very little idea of who she is, or of her significance; she seems to be some sort of It Girl. At least I am clear, however, that she is not a baddy from Star Trek.

Anyway, she popped up on Radio 4 again today for wearing Marilyn Monroe's dress at the Met Gala. Commentators felt this was a reckless thing to do with a museum piece (the frock, not La Kardashian).

The Met Gala is also a confusing thing for me, but it seems to be a fashion display by Celebs, who presumably would otherwise clearly lack opportunities for dressing up and going to parties.

Radio 4 also tells me that it has a theme, and this year it was The Gilded Age (think New York High Society in 1890s Paris couture).  Judging from the pictures Miss T has insisted upon showing me, few of the Celebs seem to have got that Memo.

In a way, his facial features remind me of Cliff Richards when younger.

Perhaps someone could spoil his day by showing Seb Stan a pic of Cliff as he is today as an awful warning......

I'm not skilled enough, but perhaps a Cliff head could be photoshopped onto the pink suit?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Why havent solar powered trains caught on in the  UK?  All they   need is sunshine to work.......

Missing the point that Brunel grasped theoretically but didn't have the technology to implement successfully, and I think that Robert Stephenson and Joseph Locke understood too, that the locomotive engine is far from ideal; a set-up where the power is generated by a stationary engine and transmitted to the train is more efficient than one where the train carries its own power generator, even if that is only a bank of solar cells. Such a system means that the railway is not dependent on a single energy supply but can use solar, wind, nuclear, fossil fuel, bio-fuel, etc. indifferently.

Possibly a horse on a treadmill would be less efficient than one in the four-foot though I suspect the latter is better for the horse:

ydDDU=

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Why havent solar powered trains caught on in the  UK?  All they   need is sunshine to work.......

ht

How do you know we haven’t?

ADDF2ACC-F9F4-4313-92EB-3236E5732D29.jpeg.30c15820e6daf2f318b2dca139e54dcc.jpegr

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Missing the point that Brunel grasped theoretically but didn't have the technology to implement successfully, and I think that Robert Stephenson and Joseph Locke understood too, that the locomotive engine is far from ideal; a set-up where the power is generated by a stationary engine and transmitted to the train is more efficient than one where the train carries its own power generator, even if that is only a bank of solar cells. Such a system means that the railway is not dependent on a single energy supply but can use solar, wind, nuclear, fossil fuel, bio-fuel, etc. indifferently.

Possibly a horse on a treadmill would be less efficient than one in the four-foot though I suspect the latter is better for the horse:

ydDDU=

Something that was also well understood by the early nationalized British Railways Board, but then they were never given the resources to instigate the optimum motive power solution.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1