Another Kitmaster Brake Van? Go On Then! WRONG FORUM SEE KITBUILDING AND SCRATCH

Morning all. I have returned again to my favourite comfort kit, the kitmaster/Dapol 20t brake. 

This time I have tried to refine a couple more aspects including a new 3d printed inner end and door, .33mm handrails instead of my usual .5mm and some whitemetal buffers, coupling hook and vac pipe. 

As I think I have stated here before, I experimented with some CAD/CAM on this kit which involved drawing up some parts using microsoft 3D builder (free with windows 10) and printing using a monoprize 3D printer (Not my own/very basic).

209799905_Screenshot(74).png.beb36e1124a32bf1a4ae31a636cfd7a8.png

The print went slightly awry but was acceptable for my needs. This end shows the seperate door in the open position. 

20200608_215012.jpg.8ca2ac3775b41072f0234332411a6cb0.jpg

Struts were made under the vehicle using L-section strip. New footboards made from styrene and solebars ribs created.  

20200731_163625.jpg.270c903c67de3197ef4e343399ffd77f.jpg

L.M.S. whitemetal buffers etc were added and .33mm handrails added. Moulded handrails need to scraped away using a chisel scalpel first.   

20200801_121245.jpg.bc9849df3add5212c6c294f77cf00a61.jpg

On to painting. A semi-distressed look was achieved by priming the body with grey then painting using enamel colour in pristine condition. Other tones of brown and reds are dry brushed over the top along with some natural would colours. This dry then a thinned coat of tamiya acrylic nato brown painted over. Once touch dry, this layer is washed with thinners and "scrubbed" and "scratched" with a toothpick to allow the previous layer to show through in areas. This also gives the paint a subtle pealing, blistered texture.

Metal parts are treated with rust coloured weathering powders worked into either the wet paint or brushed on matt varnish (dependant on tackiness). Once dry the acrylic brown is painted over and once this is dry, thinners is washed over and again attacked with a toothpick. 

Black powders are mixed with decalfix and washed over to darken it all down. 

20201002_152800.jpg.77ea191148e465d0e6b5da77435fa05a.jpg

A roof was made from styrene, correcting the placement of the vents, brass tube for the chimney and styrene strip for the rain strips. A coat of matt varnish spray is used to seal and dull down the colour. This stage does knock back a lot of the colour variation and perhaps a mist instead of a coat should be used. 

Lamp irons will need to be addressed as I attempted to cut corners using styrene but these are to fragile and not fine enough. 

20201018_112604.jpg.baf23e24df47e4fcb4b2f0712ee484b8.jpg

Edited by westernviscount
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Derekstuart said:

They're a good kit even by modern standards.

Someone was advertising etched ends for these, but I can't think who. The picture looked good- flush glazed.

Hi Derek. Dave Bradwell does a kit for this van which is really fine and detailed. Mine is a definite no expense incurred approach. I realise I have posted in the wrong forum. I have put it in the Kit build forum now. 

• Like 1

• westernviscount changed the title to Another Kitmaster Brake Van? Go On Then! WRONG FORUM SEE KITBUILDING AND SCRATCH

Hello WV

No, it wasn't a complete kit that I was thinking of. This was just a pair of ends, similar to what you have printed. They were only a few quid. Personally I think that the original is good enough, given the canopy over it, the darker colours and that people's eyes are naturally drawn towards the motive power at the other end of the train.

It's still a good kit even after all these years. I don't think anyone makes it now though- or do they? I picked up the 03 kit as I fancy building a High Level 03 chassis and needed a body to stick on it. (NB I think the 03 kit originated from the same company, didn't it?)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Just one tiny point this has nothing to do with Kitmaster. This seems to be repeated on several topics. They were Airfix, 2 shillings a bag. Great model

Paul

They weren't but are now. They have Kitmaster on the packaging.

C090_20200723_1031078_Qty1_1.jpg

Borrowed from the Hattons website.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, hmrspaul said:

Just one tiny point this has nothing to do with Kitmaster. This seems to be repeated on several topics. They were Airfix, 2 shillings a bag. Great model

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

They weren't but are now. They have Kitmaster on the packaging.

Yes, that is a naughty muddying of the waters by Dapol.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hmrspaul said:

Paul

100% agree, but sadly this part of the discussion is going to come up every time!

On 22/10/2020 at 12:01, Derekstuart said:

Hello WV

No, it wasn't a complete kit that I was thinking of. This was just a pair of ends, similar to what you have printed. They were only a few quid. Personally I think that the original is good enough, given the canopy over it, the darker colours and that people's eyes are naturally drawn towards the motive power at the other end of the train.

It's still a good kit even after all these years. I don't think anyone makes it now though- or do they? I picked up the 03 kit as I fancy building a High Level 03 chassis and needed a body to stick on it. (NB I think the 03 kit originated from the same company, didn't it?)

Dapol are still knocking them out and can be picked up for less than £7 normally. A superb kit. I find the inner ends are really thick and are hard to flush glaze. Not much to complain about really though. 

On 22/10/2020 at 13:53, hmrspaul said:

Paul

I agree Paul that they weren't originally but are now branded kitmaster. 

brake-van.jpg.dc1fdca93a7fae537cf3475c803b94ed.jpg

I suppose it's used to differentiate this product line from their new fangled, all singing all dancing range. 

I love the old airfix packaging!! 

On 22/10/2020 at 12:02, Fat Controller said:

It scrubs up very nicely, doesn't it? Just one tiny point; the only buffers with bright shanks are the Oleo and Dowty sort, which are chromed. The older sorts, like those on this model, are mild steel, with a thick coating of grease.

A good observation and a very useful one. I shall be looking carefully through the collection to see what needs tweaking. Thanks!

Edited by westernviscount