Forsinard and the Far North

class26

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

By the time the large logos appeared regular freight had all but vanished from the Far North line, especially the northern half, apart from the Lairg oil tanks.What was left was mainly a declining domestic coal traffic that vanished after the miners strike and apart from an occasional spell of activity now and again that never managed to last it has remained that way since. It was traditional wagons to the end, but latterly an occasional van or two and weather beaten steel minerals that were to be seen. Here is a selection of the very last days of daily freight, taken 1981/2/3, to illustrate the paucity of traffic then.

PICT0103a.JPG

PICT0041adj.JPG

PICT0073a.JPG

PICT0074a.JPG

PICT0086a.JPG

PICT0963a.JPG

PICT0488a.JPG

PICT0660a.JPG

PICT2251adj.JPG

Thanks: seems to be fitted stick, suggesting a decline in the need for brake vans…

…although:

3 hours ago, 60021 Pen-y-Ghent said:

Here is my (not very good) photo of 26032 heading north from Forsinard in September 1980 with an interesting mix of stock.

img117a.jpg

Maybe not.

Of course, the presence of what might be a mixture of brake types or possibly a PW/special load might have made this a specific exception that is testing (not breaking!) the general rule.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Paid a visit to @class26 took some pictures of my two Class 37's, Colas 37421 and 37025 with my SRPS Mk1 excursion stock running on his Forsinard layout with his new adaption of Thurso.  Only need one more Mk1 FO and three Mk1 TSO's to complete.

I really must bring a tripod with me to get the depth of field right.

JTS_6955.JPG

JTS_6957.JPG

JTS_6958.JPG

JTS_6959.JPG

JTS_6960.JPG

Edited by jools1959
  • Like 16

I ought to add to the above that the two signal boxes at Forsinard are the first time the new boxes have had a public airing and are a commission fulfilled magnificently by Phil at Intentio and equally magnificently painted by Brian at Braeside Models. 

Thurso, only just began will get a different backscene in time.

Edited by class26
  • Like 6

Looking good Nigel. Nice to see Thurso break cover too. We’ve not heard from you in a while now I know why. You’ve been locked in your shed Caratacus Potts style working night and day on your latest creation. And very very nice it looks too.

Thanks Jools1959 for engineering an update but please next time give us a little warning to don our sunglasses. Us 80s folk arn’t used to bright liveries. 

Great work both of you.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Looking good Nigel. Nice to see Thurso break cover too. We’ve not heard from you in a while now I know why. You’ve been locked in your shed Caratacus Potts style working night and day on your latest creation. And very very nice it looks too.

Thanks Jools1959 for engineering an update but please next time give us a little warning to don our sunglasses. Us 80s folk arn’t used to bright liveries. 

Great work both of you.

Yes, i have been a little silent of late, mainly due to work flooding back as Covid receded. The layout in its previous guise was a simple roundy , Forsinard one side, the Flows the other but in my love for the scenic side of things had filled every available inch and there was no room for train storage which , as you can imagine is a little limiting. I reluctantly decided part of the Flows had to go to make way for Thurso and a reverse loop behind the station so trains going south from Forsinard can return from where they went. 

Hope to post more developments soon

• Like 2

Here are the last photos of the Flow Country section , now partly removed to make way for Thurso.

All the photos are taken by Jools1959

As can be seen the backscene is looking grubby and stained in places . It will be completely replaced. It was my first ever attempt at a backscene and lessons have been learned (rather expensively !)

JTS_4078.JPG

JTS_4079.JPG

JTS_4080.JPG

JTS_4081.JPG

• Like 14

Those with a keen eye will notice the station building at what is supposed to be Altnabreac is in fact that from Georgemas which gives an indication of where my thoughts are going but it is so difficult to do well. The branch to Thurso leads away at 90 degrees to the main line creating all kinds of issues with space but i have ideas for the future ......................

JTS_4083.JPG

JTS_4084.JPG

JTS_4082.JPG

Edited by class26
  • Like 15

• 3 months later...

An update is well overdue I think so here goes.

As some may know the layout originally was a roundy roundy with Forsinard on one side and the Flow Country the other. whilst i was happy with the scenic part operationally it was extremely limiting as there was no fiddle yard or hidden sidings for storage. Watching a 26 or 37 pulling a rake of Mk 1`s through north Scottish countryside is very enjoyable but there comes a time when more is needed so reluctantly I have ripped up about 60% of the Flows and in its place inserted Thurso and behind the Thurso back scene there is space for a reversing loop so trains going south from Forsinard can either wait (there is double track here) or return from where they went, presumably Inverness.

Matters stalled over the summer due to work but now there are  some developments which I show here. 

First the remaning section of Flow country which leads directly into Thurso. 

I don`t show the platform area yet as it is work in progress but am planning to tackle this next.  

Please excuse the backscene, it is still the old Flow backscene and will be replaced

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

Edited by class26
  • Like 17

Great to see an update Nigel. It is a shame that you had to lose so much of the flow country but it look like it was worth the sacrifice. Thurso is looking like it will be a very nice addition both scenically and operationally. Plenty to occupy yourself with there once completed. 
My humble opinion is yes it’s a shame to lose a lot of the flow county but I think you have done the right thing.

Enjoy 👍

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

This is amazing you have captured the look of the far north a train looks very small in the scene which the real thing does  ,  I look forward to seeing the new developments especially the backscenes .Dont throw them away as you might want to recreate the moors again!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, lmsforever said:

This is amazing you have captured the look of the far north a train looks very small in the scene which the real thing does  ,  I look forward to seeing the new developments especially the backscenes .Dont throw them away as you might want to recreate the moors again!

Thanks. As for the backscenes they are now very grubby but I do intend at some point in the future (I guess a new house will be needed for this) to recreate the layout with Forsinard, the Flows, Thurso and hopefully Georgemas space permitting but I will have those backscenes re printed as I have the original downloads 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wonderful modelling, reminds me of going to school on the Kyle line..

One observation..

Fencing... where's  the Wire and posts between railway land and the Duke of Sutherland's estates.

I'm busy planting dozens of posts on my west coast layout...

8 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Wonderful modelling, reminds me of going to school on the Kyle line..

One observation..

Fencing... where's  the Wire and posts between railway land and the Duke of Sutherland's estates.

I'm busy planting dozens of posts on my west coast layout...

It``s far from finished, fencing will follow  ! Platform edges also need doing.

Edited by class26
  • Like 2

On 22/12/2022 at 14:05, brylonscamel said:

... marvellous progress Nigel but isn't it lacking a station building?

Platform now has its surface so really is waiting for the station building now !!!

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

Edited by class26
  • Like 13

On 22/12/2022 at 14:05, brylonscamel said:

... marvellous progress Nigel but isn't it lacking a station building?

Still lacking the station building a class 26 has just arrived at Thurso from Inverness with a morning freight and starts to run rounds the train

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

Edited by class26
  • Like 9