Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

1 hour ago, cornelius said:

Unfortunately we are still at the mercy of Zimo on this one - as soon as we have any more info we will share it.

I thought this would be the case. I’m waiting quietly for my sound-fitted models until they appear at my door with the sound decoder and crew installed. All the same, good to let the chaps at PI know that they are being watched!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pauliebanger said:

I should have been clearer.

The arrangement with ZIMO is that PI can fit decoders to rtr Victory models and supply decoders to customers of DC versions for retrofit.

Since no one has yet received a sound decoder, even in RTR purchases, you are in the same position as everyone else, so PI should be able to supply the decoder and sound project when stocks are received from ZIMO.

Paul 

Thank you for explaining that Paul, makes sense now. I didn't realise that no sound versions had been supplied. I'll just have to be patient.

Dean

On 22/01/2023 at 22:43, SteveyDee68 said:

What could Planet Industrials produce as a follow up to their lovely Victory tank, I wonder?

Suggestions …

MSC Hudswell Clark tank locos (long and short tank versions) - bet these were used elsewhere too?!

Long tank…

7D6F9E2D-26A9-421A-A7FE-8941BD08070C.jpeg.d206c5028fafeb1a5ab4fef6d6fe7a3e.jpeg

(c) Terry Pinnebar - but one of the best images I could find! Objections? I’ll take it down!

Short tank…

D3045EF5-5905-4318-8986-22E9F8A0F10C.jpeg.cb68cdc1079b05248dbaa28ccece403d.jpeg

(Not sure if this is the right one - but similar!!)

Some form of steam crane? The 0-4-0 kind with a crane attached?

7FAE507F-FB8D-4DCD-A04F-49D14AD06923.jpeg.26a8f19afbe9155e682edf9d5253d876.jpeg

92BC7B4A-E752-4CC3-916D-007C2EE2A360.jpeg.e6f0151d9169b2a267d1141d54d5df4a.jpeg

1B9B8974-5ECC-4FFF-A51C-3AF8D6683BAF.jpeg.ad8603af8138ad4359411a0db7f319e9.jpeg

A couple of images grabbed from the internet - the last is (c) Mike Gill so if an issue can take it down (but it might be the same as the top photo from a totally different source?!)

Pondering, after a cloudy cider, on a Sunday evening!!

Steve S

I do like 'The Lady Armaghdale' suggestion. Yes please!!! That would get a vote with my wallet.

She's even got flangeless centre driving wheels!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

I mean, 'Victor' or 'Vulcan' (the Bagnalls that once graced the West Somerset Railway), for example.

Just saying.

How about those two big Bagnalls (for the steelworks in Wales?), can't recall which works numbers at the moment, but they were right chunky beasts! Bigger than Vulcan and Victor I believe. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Paul_sterling said:

How about those two big Bagnalls (for the steelworks in Wales?), can't recall which works numbers at the moment, but they were right chunky beasts! Bigger than Vulcan and Victor I believe. 

I think those were them - there were three in the 'Victor' class to begin with, but one got scrapped after the other two went to British Leyland at Longbridge (prior to preservation on the WSR). I think problems with the steel firebox was the main reason for the scrapping of the third one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I think those were them - there were three in the 'Victor' class to begin with, but one got scrapped after the other two went to British Leyland at Longbridge (prior to preservation on the WSR). I think problems with the steel firebox was the main reason for the scrapping of the third one.

Ahh thanks. It was that someone said they were all scrapped that misled me. Those two Victors are big beasts to be fair, and would make excellent models in RTR, no disrespect done to the already excellent conversion kits available. 

I'd even go so far as to say, to rising costs *of everything); smaller locos, smaller layouts, and the generally lesser costs associated with them are a good antidote. 

Thanks

Paul. 

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Like 1

Personally, I think something a bit more widely used would be better, great thing about Victory is that some worked Mainline, some worked at coal mines, so something that has a similar pedigree in terms of variety of usage would be good.

I think the 16” Bagnall works well, big but not too big. Either way, more 0-6-0s would be good.

Jessie would be good but doubt that’ll happen in RTR 00.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/01/2023 at 22:43, SteveyDee68 said:

What could Planet Industrials produce as a follow up to their lovely Victory tank, I wonder?

Suggestions …

Steve S

On 23/01/2023 at 09:55, Ian J. said:

Just as a bit of wishing, how about Bonnie Prince Charlie / Western Pride, the 0-4-0ST industrials that used to work Poole Docks...? Go on, you know you want to, and they're 'easy' to do, because BPC is still in existence at Didcot 🙂

Definitely.  Yes please.

140926994_BonniePrinceCharlieDidcotRailwayCentre26072015-RMweb.jpg.6ddc83d9300b87cec00b53990a4468a6.jpg

Taken at Didcot on 26th July 2015 during a tour organised through RMweb.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

To be honest, the above side tanks are very nice and I'd certainly buy almost anything from Planet Industrials anyway, but how about a nice, chunky 0-6-0 saddle tank with lots of gesticulating valve gear?

I mean, 'Victor' or 'Vulcan' (the Bagnalls that once graced the West Somerset Railway), for example.

Very nice but, surely, overkill for most layouts where a smaller loco would be more appropriate and quite adequate for shunting/tripping.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2023 at 10:54, Poor Old Bruce said:

Very nice but, surely, overkill for most layouts where a smaller loco would be more appropriate and quite adequate for shunting/tripping.

I think that it really depends on where the interest is. Do people want larger 0-6-0 industrials like the 16” and much more modern 18” Bagnalls, or do they want smaller engines similar to that of the Peckett B2 or Andrew Barclay 14” 0-6-0ST. I’d still say there is room for both, however I do believe that we need more locos that can have a wide range of duties. Of course even if some industries didn’t need a 14” cylinder loco all the time it’s still good to have the option. 
Again it all relies upon do people want larger 0-6-0 industrials or more 0-4-0 industrials?

I think that with the 0-6-0s, there is a larger market due to the size whereas the Peckett W4, Barclay 0-4-0ST, and Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST, it tends to be more difficult. 

Another great thing about industrials is that they’re used extensively in Preservation by a variety of heritage railways, and from my perspective adds in that variety to otherwise a normally uniform set of liveries and class that we see from the Standards. You’ll get Blues and Greens with lining that wouldn’t be seen on the tank engines used for similar duties on the mainline railways, so does that aspect have any bearing on the matter as something that’s small may not appeal due to it only being able to handle 3 MK1 coaches irl, end of the day it all depends on where the consumer base is.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Whatever comes next I'd like for it to be in the same vein as the Victory. I have a few layouts and so my Victory can either be seen in a fairly grimy Inglenook industrial yard or on a heritage-ish railway hauling some coaches or a goods train. I'd like to see its successor have some similar heft and versatility. 

• RMweb Gold

Whilst there will be some who will want a specific loco, I think the physical size and overall appearance of the next industrial loco, coupled with pretty liveries, will be as much a selling point as anything else. 

That is what has made the Hornby W4 and their B2 such a success. Hattons had it with their Andrew Barclay but have seemingly stepped away from them now. 

The P.I Victory is undoubtedly a success. A  large, imposing loco but for some, it is this factor which may well rule it out. 

Now, I'm not for one moment advocating that any model industrial loco needs to be petite, I would for instance jump at the chance of a large, late Peckett saddle tank......Maerdy Monster springs to mind !!!

But, a smaller 0.6.0, outside cylinder saddle tank would be nice. An example  from Andrew Barclay seems to fit the bill. 

Rob. 

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/01/2023 at 09:38, Captain Kernow said:

Thinking about it, much as I like the large 'Victor' class Bagnalls, on reflection something slightly smaller, but also by Bagnall might be preferable, such as 'Empress' - https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/w-g-bagnall-works-no-3061-empress-0-6-0st/

• Like 3

My PI Victory is a superb runner - speed step 2 gives a barely discernible crawl with no hesitation over insulfrog points (sorry about that for the purists amongst us!) Any small industrial by PI would find favour with me.

P.S. Had to re-solder the grey and orange wires the other way around so the loco ran in the correct direction.

Thinking about it, much as I like the large 'Victor' class Bagnalls, on reflection something slightly smaller, but also by Bagnall might be preferable, such as 'Empress'

Empress works well, 16” Bagnall, powerful enough at Blaenavon to run with 3 MK1s plus a small loco at the back I believe. Right sort of size as well.

(Photo is my own)

618C775E-C2CD-4391-9DEB-4CAED1FFFE82.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

Wasn't that the same class as the Bagnalls at Preston Docks?

Believe so. Also there’s the variation in both tanks and chimneys so there’s an option to provide differences between class members.

• Like 2