Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

All this talk of green and black and crest/number positioning reminiscent of C&HPR NLR tanks …

My name is Steve and I am a (shunting) locoholic… 🙄

It’s been six minutes since I last purchased a Victory (this time, a green one) 😬

HOURS OF FUN!

Precioussssss 😈

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

317563371_558762149592807_13725194887636

Well that was an unexpected kit.

From the PI Facebook Page:

Rio Tinto - Perhaps not the cab conversion you were expecting next, James is working on this conversion for a commission inspired by the North British tanks that operated on the Rio Tinto mine railways in Spain. Would anyone else be interested in this as a kit at some point? Ugly but a real character!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Din said:

317563371_558762149592807_13725194887636

Well that was an unexpected kit.

From the PI Facebook Page:

Rio Tinto - Perhaps not the cab conversion you were expecting next, James is working on this conversion for a commission inspired by the North British tanks that operated on the Rio Tinto mine railways in Spain. Would anyone else be interested in this as a kit at some point? Ugly but a real character!

Link not working.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium

At the moment this is a commission for a personal customer of James's (and not prototypical to the Victory in any way!) but it would be easy enough to make the parts available if there's interest. 

Edited by cornelius

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, cornelius said:

At the moment this is a commission for a personal customer of James's (and not prototypical to the Victory in any way!) but it would be easy enough to make the parts available if there's interest. 

Yes, there is interest here.  👍

6 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Was that number eight ? ................ and counting .................

Nooooooooo!!!

I now have two.

Red and Green.

I may end up getting a third.

A Black one. (But not the ROD one!)

Depends upon if they say anything at all about a blue one.

Preferably PLA blue.

Just saying.

I might just.

If they do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ruston said:

My Victory has had a bit of a make-over. I swapped the weathered bodywork with the factory-finish bodywork from a Victory that belongs to a friend, because liked the weathering that I had done. Mine now has the wheels painted and a coat of a coloured varnish applied to the red paintwork in order to darken it and black boiler bands to break up the mass of red. It has also been fitted with buffers for handling chaldrons.

DSCF9550.JPG.93dcd4dccee40bc62ea8a6cfa08bf80d.JPG

DSCF9551.JPG.f744f46a1dbd5688ea746ae7cfffb9c7.JPG

DSCF9552.JPG.c4346376975c54adb6752cbdbd28c405.JPG

Looks class!

How did you make the dumb buffers?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 29/11/2022 at 13:42, cornelius said:

It looks bonkers but strangely compelling !!

However, good to see in the same post that a Swindonisation kit is on the horizon. My apologies if I've missed this but what is the timeframe on this ? It would also get around my disappearing lamp iron issue as they would probably ( not checked ) need swapping for GWR types. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

However, good to see in the same post that a Swindonisation kit is on the horizon. My apologies if I've missed this but what is the timeframe on this ? It would also get around my disappearing lamp iron issue as they would probably ( not checked ) need swapping for GWR types. 

The awkward answer is "it depends". The etched overlays for riveted tanks are pretty easy to draw up although our etcher is now at capacity for this year so it would be early 2023 for those. Sourcing new boiler components is a bit variable depending on whether these are cast or printed.

The other alternative is if we do a further production run of the loco, then a GWR livery on the current tooling with perhaps a new safety valve cover is a possibility.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 29/11/2022 at 15:05, Ruston said:

My Victory has had a bit of a make-over. I swapped the weathered bodywork with the factory-finish bodywork from a Victory that belongs to a friend, because liked the weathering that I had done. Mine now has the wheels painted and a coat of a coloured varnish applied to the red paintwork in order to darken it and black boiler bands to break up the mass of red. It has also been fitted with buffers for handling chaldrons.

DSCF9550.JPG.93dcd4dccee40bc62ea8a6cfa08bf80d.JPG

DSCF9551.JPG.f744f46a1dbd5688ea746ae7cfffb9c7.JPG

DSCF9552.JPG.c4346376975c54adb6752cbdbd28c405.JPG

That looks amazing! Could easily be mistaken for 0 gauge! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, cornelius said:

The other alternative is if we do a further production run of the loco, then a GWR livery on the current tooling with perhaps a new safety valve cover is a possibility.

Together with a blue PLA livery version…

You just know I am going to keep mithering for that!!

HOURS OF FUN!

PS

Notification of a parcel arriving tomorrow - surely that can’t be my second, green Victory tank already?!

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Together with a blue PLA livery version…

You just know I am going to keep mithering for that!!

HOURS OF FUN!

PS

Notification of a parcel arriving tomorrow - surely that can’t be my second, green Victory tank already?!

There's an outside possibility that if a PLA blue were done, I might buy it to go with my slowly building little collection of various Port Authority dock shunters...

• Agree 1

Finally, after shaking off the stinking cold bug that’s floored me for the past week, I’ve had half an hour to unpack, admire and briefly test run my lovely new maroon Victory tank (“Lillibet”, when her name plates arrive in due course).

Can I simply echo what has been expressed here and in the pages of the modelling press that, straight out of the box and with no running in, she runs beautifully smoothly, the motor so quiet that the only noise I can hear is the rumble of the wheels transmitted through to my desk surface!

Wow!

Using the good old Gaugemaster Combi DC hand held controller, I could have her gently move off, accelerate and then seemingly drift to a stop again simply using the control knob…

Can’t wait to run her in properly, and then play with operate her again! And to think, a green stablemate will arrive shortly to keep her company!

#smitten

445D7831-CAF7-49D6-A22F-CA9E5E7E8A37.jpeg.15aa164b031138f92ca1959e45be825d.jpeg

Slightly out of focus iPhone photo, which brings out the red more than it appears in real life!

I like the earlier idea on this thread of adding a shelf at the rear of the cab upon which to place toolboxes, tea mugs etc. Particularly because the windows have been done so well - no junking great piece of clear plastic across the cab as is found in the Hornby Pecketts, for example!

I also really like the red wheels, black boiler bands and weathering shown earlier by @Ruston - but I think I might leave such improvements to somebody else to undertake, or until such time as I am confident enough to do it myself without ruining a beautiful model!

HOURS OF FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Further thoughts
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Finally, after shaking off the stinking cold bug that’s floored me for the past week, I’ve had half an hour to unpack, admire and briefly test run my lovely new maroon Victory tank (“Lillibet”, when her name plates arrive in due course).

Can I simply echo what has been expressed here and in the pages of the modelling press that, straight out of the box and with no running in, she runs beautifully smoothly, the motor so quiet that the only noise I can hear is the rumble of the wheels transmitted through to my desk surface!

Wow!

Using the good old Gaugemaster Combi DC hand held controller, I could have her gently move off, accelerate and then seemingly drift to a stop again simply using the control knob…

Can’t wait to run her in properly, and then play with operate her again! And to think, a green stablemate will arrive shortly to keep her company!

#smitten

445D7831-CAF7-49D6-A22F-CA9E5E7E8A37.jpeg.15aa164b031138f92ca1959e45be825d.jpeg

Slightly out of focus iPhone photo, which brings out the red more than it appears in real life!

I like the earlier idea on this thread of adding a shelf at the rear of the cab upon which to place toolboxes, tea mugs etc. Particularly because the windows have been done so well - no junking great piece of clear plastic across the cab as is found in the Hornby Pecketts, for example!

I also really like the red wheels, black boiler bands and weathering shown earlier by @Ruston - but I think I might leave such improvements to somebody else to undertake, or until such time as I am confident enough to do it myself without ruining a beautiful model!

HOURS OF FUN!

I open each new post hoping that it will bring news of the sound versions. Whilst there may be nothing so far, I enjoy seeing the posts, especially ones with pictures. Ruston has done a superb job weathering his but I can’t bear to spoil the superb finish on a new loco, however realistic it may be. I’m looking forward to hours of fun!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/12/2022 at 08:47, NHY 581 said:

It looks bonkers but strangely compelling !!

Rob. 

21 hours ago, cornelius said:

The awkward answer is "it depends". The etched overlays for riveted tanks are pretty easy to draw up although our etcher is now at capacity for this year so it would be early 2023 for those. Sourcing new boiler components is a bit variable depending on whether these are cast or printed.

Morning Stephen, 

That sounds worth waiting for but..............

Thinking logically ( doesn't happen very often ) when the locos were first acquired by the Brecon and Merthyr and the Alexandra (Newport & South Wales) Docks and Railway they were direct from the R.O.D........and yet to be Swindonized (!?!) and therefore the boiler fittings, tanks etc, were as built.

So that's two more pre-grouping liveries that are possible.......

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 3