Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

My mum had a stand alone spin drier that frightened the life out of me ,noisy and did not stay still when working went one end of kitchen to other !

My great aunt Hilde had one of those things, an Acme or Debonair I think, it used to hurtle round the wash house like a deranged Dalek.

Of greater concern to my friends and I was the big old shotgun that lived on the high mantelpiece in the kitchen. 

Whenever we went round, we always got fed, whether or not you were hungry seemed irrelevant.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, lmsforever said:

My mum had a stand alone spin drier that frightened the life out of me ,noisy and did not stay still when working went one end of kitchen to other !

My mother's was an upright cylinder shape with a rubber spout on the side.

You had to put a bucket or bowl underneath and keep a close eye to make sure it didn't wander off and flood the kitchen floor.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I remember in the early 70s my mother having a twin tub which like others remember having a mind of it own, came home from primary school to find a brand new Indesit space age washing machine, however she also had an ancient Flatley clothes drier which survived and I think outlived the new washing machine. What a useful old thing that was, dread to think how fast it would make the leccy meter spin though!!! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

My mother's was an upright cylinder shape with a rubber spout on the side.

You had to put a bucket or bowl underneath and keep a close eye to make sure it didn't wander off and flood the kitchen floor.

We had one like that and need hanging onto otherwise it took off in circles

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, John Besley said:

We had one like that and need hanging onto otherwise it took off in circles

Again, why are people talking about their mother’s in such disrespectful ways?

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/06/2022 at 09:17, Nick Gough said:

3 hours ago, Regularity said:

Again, why are people talking about their mother’s in such disrespectful ways?

Isn't it terrible? I am deeply shocked.

Ah, well yes. There's the issue. Is it mother's or mothers? Enquiring minds want to know.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Apostrophe catastrophe.

Autocorrect auto error, I am afraid.

Plus a slug of inattention (which autocorrect made “in attention”) which meant I didn’t trap it myself.

Edited by Regularity
Some mothers do ‘ave ‘em…
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Regularity said:

Autocorrect auto error, I am afraid.

Plus a slug of inattention (which autocorrect made “in attention”) which meant I didn’t trap it myself.

And there was I, thinking the autocensor had removed whatever it was you were referring to as appertaining to poster's mothers...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

This is a tricky one, should I get on with some modelling and post pictures to keep the audience from bouncing off the walls or go off out for dinner and a few drinks with the memsahib?

Taxi will be here for 8:30, so that's settled then.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

This is a tricky one, should I get on with some modelling and post pictures to keep the audience from bouncing off the walls or go off out for dinner and a few drinks with the memsahib?

Taxi will be here for 8:30, so that's settled then.

Dinner and drinks mate - we’ll all still be here deliberating twin tubs when you get back. 

Jay

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

On 29/06/2022 at 20:23, MrWolf said:

we don't have a cat

I don't have any cats either. My wife has two though. I like to keep it that way. . . .   

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Fishplate said:

I don't have any cats either. My wife has two though. I like to keep it that way. . . .   

It could be worse, my first wife conspired with her mother and turned up with two seemingly incontinent secondhand Yorkshire terriers, (Latin: Yappus Rattus) and no, I wasn't asked.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Ugh.  Could have been worse though.  Here in Vienna there seem to be hordes of chihuahuas.  Which should be made into schnitzel, in my humble opinion.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Only just surfaced from something of a lie in. of course I wasn't really having a dilemma last night, as it was our anniversary, met in early May, first official date at the end of June. 

Naturally there was a little champagne flowing and I ended up carrying somebody to the front door because at some point in the return taxi ride "her shoes had stopped working" 🤔

I might actually get something done today once I've done the Saturday chores at half speed. I have a couple of things that I'd like to progress.

Meanwhile, perhaps you can debate why steam powered lawnmowers never really caught on? 😜

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, Graham T said:

Ugh.  Could have been worse though.  Here in Vienna there seem to be hordes of chihuahuas.  Which should be made into schnitzel, in my humble opinion.

Or fed to the local Hovawart population. A proper dog.

99cd18195072a1da549582261c2104e5.jpg.908a1fa3678b32bd431fe29f160be92b.jpg

Over here in the UK, there's lots of fashion accessory dogs, followed by the usual drug dealer's mouth on legs dogs.

Edited by MrWolf
Picture
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick C said:

Which has led me to discover that a steam powered lawnmower was in fact Leyland's first vehicle...

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/mower/mower.htm

Please Sir Sir Sir I know the answer to that one. It was because the boiler boy couldn't keep up so the fire went out. Or was it because it kept setting fire to the driver. Hmm can I get back to you on this one.

• Friendly/supportive 1