RMweb

Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

12 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I would think that such establishments grew from the horse drawn taxi and cartage services that located themselves close to stations to carry passengers to and from the stations. Next thing would be a motor taxi or two and the means to maintain them. Others, like the actual garage on the eastern side of the village, grew from the village forge.

It is like fleas and what do you get with fleas but something for them to feed off.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Lots to do yet, but I am still deliberating on what if anything, to add to the interior.

The windows are 'piece glazed', with small overlapping glass offcuts. The garage I remember had this on the side away from the road and I don't think I've seen it modelled before.

IMG_20220624_212210.thumb.jpg.663e1d064832706cdffdc6646beac748.jpg

I hope you're going to model the lead tingles to stop the panes from slipping over each other?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I hope you're going to model the lead tingles to stop the panes from slipping over each other?

If you cut and fold them, I'll fit them! 😜

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

If you cut and fold them, I'll fit them! 😜

I think kitchen foil might do the job!! Although I think panel pins for the panes to rest on would have been the easiest option for the glaziers.

• Like 1

The ones I remember had the panes rested on pins and sealed with putty. Over the years that and the glass had fallen out, which is what allowed a group of eight year olds to get in and explore the garage that had been left as it was when closed down in the early sixties.

• Like 5

This is all very interesting. 

I remember visiting my grandfather on his allotment, probably about 1960.

He pointed out a small building and asked if I could see anything inside. All I can now remember is that it had some overlapping glass, whitewashed on the inside.

Looking through gaps I could see a car which my grandfather told me was an Austin Ruby.

All very hazy now and, of course, long since gone in the march of progress.

I've often wondered why the glass overlapped and now I know.

So thanks for that and the trip down memory lane.

Rodney

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

A coat of paint etc....

I found the mangle in the bits box and decided to put it together. There was a similar thing in the backyard at my grandparents. It had been relegated to occasional use as a sheet metal roller since a washing machine with a power mangle (but still a hand operated agitator paddle!) had been acquired sometime in the 1950s. 

IMG_20220629_012844.thumb.jpg.a376cd57c818b2715321d58c9c96046b.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

a washing machine with a power mangle (but still a hand operated agitator paddle!) had been acquired sometime in the 1950s.

My Grandmother had such a device, I remember it very well, clad in ivory coloured enamel and weighed a ton.

This one in fact:

hotpoint-washer-mangle.jpg.0b5da958cbf5dbfbad9a90c775351c7a.jpg

Al.

• Like 12

That's the one! It outlived my grandparents, my grandmother never saw any need for (and couldn't afford) an automatic washing machine. I can still remember her fishing clean clothes out of it with a pair of wooden tongs that were bleached white.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's the one! It outlived my grandparents, my grandmother never saw any need for (and couldn't afford) an automatic washing machine. I can still remember her fishing clean clothes out of it with a pair of wooden tongs that were bleached white.

Ah, I too remember a pair of those wooden tongs!

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Alister_G said:

My Grandmother had such a device, I remember it very well, clad in ivory coloured enamel and weighed a ton.

This one in fact:

hotpoint-washer-mangle.jpg.0b5da958cbf5dbfbad9a90c775351c7a.jpg

Al.

I’ve never seen one of these before! My mum had a spin dryer in the garage from the 70’s till the 90’s which I remember her having to hold down otherwise it would wobble itself all over the place. 

PS - the house is looking good Rob!

Jay

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This was the one my Gran had. She had everything washed, dried, ironed and put away by late afternoon Monday if the weather was decent.

image.png.7f0694f945c29b6458cf387c4d4d372a.png

I remember my mum, who is still with us, with an electric copper and mangle in the wash-house washing by hand with dolly tub and dolly peg, but soon graduated to one of these a GEC compact twintub.

image.png.1ad08eba54b8d2c24c855a0276ea3457.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

It was almost as much fun when we were first married and had a second-hand twin-tub for a while.

I remember my mother having a Hoover twin tub like this one. It originally belonged to my aunt who had bought it in the late 50s, I recall it because the water heater didn't expire until about 1980.

IMG_7362-300x300.jpg.b2a98257be82032add25612abc9ce45a.jpg

It had a large aluminium lid which fitted over the rubber seal around the top edge. I believe that is still in my parents garage, having served as a drip tray under several incontinent old cars for years after the washer expired.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Alister_G said:

That’s a very disrespectful way to refer to your Grandmother…

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

I remember turning the handle on the old fashioned mangle outside as a boy.   In the 70s one of our neighbours still used an outdoor tub and the old fashioned victorian wooden dolly.

Don  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

3 things I remember about my grandmas washing day when I was a kid.

1)  Grandad yelling from outside for help when he got his tie caught in the mangle and couldn't reverse it out because it was all wrapped up in the washing, so Grandma had to cut the tie to free him.

2)  My Grandmas deft use of the wooden tongs to give anyone close a swift smack if they weren't behaving, or cracked a comment that she didn't like or felt was disrespectful.

3)  She used that big Red and Green mangle till the day she died at 95 years old :)

Ho-hum.

Graham

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Yard surface painted with PVA glue and lots of chinchilla dust pressed in, which will be modified into a garden of sorts.

At the moment the surface makes me glad we don't have a cat.

I've had to weight it down as it's come out in sympathy with @KNP's farmyard extension and curled up.

Tune in for the next thrilling instalment!

IMG_20220629_200934.thumb.jpg.506343c4b3f623f97cf6f17c7c51c3e9.jpg

• Like 16