Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
On 02/06/2022 at 23:24, Winslow Boy said:

What irritates me about the green agenda is the way it protrays man's use of 'chemicals' as being bad. We are made from chemicals and we need them to survive. So saying something is free of chemicals is like saying something is made of air.

Not when you consider air ix a mix of nitrogen, oxygen and other trace gases/elements (ignoring particulates...). ;)

But I get your point. Without going sub-atomic, everything we are and everything around us is all derived from Hydrogen.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Without some chemical reactions occurring within your body you would be dead.

The difference with say a produced 'chemical fertiliser' and a natural one such as manure, is the natural ones usually provide fibrous material and nutrients which enrich the soil and encourage the micro organisms within it.

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Regularity said:

Stephen’s & Co supplied signals to the LSWR, amongst others. The MSE kit for the lattice post signal is ideal for making a model: even more do in S - that’s the source of the signal on Lydham Heath.

Stevens with a V, I believe. 

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Is there a typo in the caption in Ken Lucas’s book, or were there two companies?

A search of Grace's Guide convinces me that there was only the firm of Stevens And Sons in the the railway signalling business, nothing for Stephens.

As a Stephen myself, I'm very sensitive to the spelling!

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

As a Stephen myself, I'm very sensitive to the spelling!

I know a few, who whilst happy to be “Steve”, get upset if the full name is spelt with a v instead of a ph.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Regularity said:

I know a few, who whilst happy to be “Steve”, get upset if the full name is spelt with a v instead of a ph.

Nothing irritates me more than to be addressed as Steve. Now you know...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Nothing irritates me more than to be addressed as Steve. Now you know...

That's tempting fate.   Personally my surname is always getting mangled and I have learned to just ignore it water off a ducks back. You can always just ignore them when people call you Steve  and say to them I answer to Stephen when they get upset.

Don

• Like 2

It's a curse for many of us, I get asked how I wish to be addressed quite a lot. 

I'll accept Robert or Rob and Miss R sometimes calls me Bertie, but usually when taking the mickey or if she's stood her Speed Twin on a soft verge and it's fallen over.

When asked if I accept the name Bob, I ask: "How old do you think I am?", "Do I look like a Folkie?" Or a fat bloke in overalls who works at Kwik fit?

One of my friends said that because it irritates me, he would call me Bob, I said, that's fine with me...... Dick....

Surnames are just as awkward. I actually have a double barrelled name, but even my father never used it because people assume that you have lots of money. It's the memsahib whose grandpa owns a lump Cheshire. I have a couple of corrugated tin garages near Carnforth...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Regularity said:

Stephen’s & Co supplied signals to the LSWR, amongst others. The MSE kit for the lattice post signal is ideal for making a model: even more do in S - that’s the source of the signal on Lydham Heath.

DD7350DE-2557-4AC4-969D-1BE88DEA6A06.thumb.jpeg.10efc746bf9b1c3bb1bb9350965f9bb8.jpeg

However, these signals remained in situ, despite being unused, as the BCR remained privately owned and esoteric. We’re it to have been foisted on the GWR, I imagine that the signal would have been removed.

I have seen that layout once, it's very impressive indeed, well worth a look if you get the chance.

I used the same logic regarding the Clun Valley Railway and decided that the Great Western replaced the antiquated signalling when they took over in 1901.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 57xx said:

You're mixing up Musk and Bezos.

Actually, @Winslow Boymight have something there.  I'm not so sure about Musk not exploring distant galaxies, his former squeeze always reminds me of how Captain Kirk hooks up with some alien princess in every other episode...

image.jpg.c55a4ba187a46a7b8cef28b26a449c01.jpg

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Actually, @Winslow Boymight have something there.  I'm not so sure about Musk not exploring distant galaxies, his former squeeze always reminds me of how Captain Kirk hooks up with some alien princess in every other episode...

That explains their kid’s name X Æ A-12 Musk. Probably Bob in Martian. 

Jay

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I have seen that layout once, it's very impressive indeed, well worth a look if you get the chance.

It’s appearing at the Ludlow show on September 3rd.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

There was an alien called Bob in the first Men In Black movie.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Gentlemen, we are not alone!

Yes did you want something?

Look I've told you before Bob doesn't live here anymore. He's buggered off back to alpha centari and good riddance. What's more if you see him tell him I'm not paying his 'lecy bill.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Aye, but whilst they both run private space industries, Musk still doesn't own Amazon and Bezos has no intention of colonizing Mars. 🙂

• Funny 1

17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Well it wouldn't surprise me if Amazon had a warehouse on Mars and I don't have a problem with Elon dating the Goth princess of Aldebaran either...

Do you think he pays the Martians working in his warehouse the minimum wage? 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Do you think he pays the Martians working in his warehouse the minimum wage? 

“A Mars a day, is all we will pay”

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

Something tells me that I need to get the dreaded wire fencing installed before I add any more greenery, which is definitely required.

The fence should run this side of the two sheds. 

It's looking like rain across the valley again.

543985116_IMG_20220603_1828122.thumb.jpg.c0f338cfd5a3752f88e09728ac06e1f7.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Something tells me that I need to get the dreaded wire fencing installed before I add any more greenery, which is definitely required.

The fence should run this side of the two sheds. 

It's looking like rain across the valley again.

543985116_IMG_20220603_1828122.thumb.jpg.c0f338cfd5a3752f88e09728ac06e1f7.jpg

I like the gloomy sky - typical of the UK!

Jay

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1