Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold

We get attached to our bikes. I only have the Triumph now but I've owned it from new and that was 22yrs ago this week. It's going to my lad next year. I always promised him it was his when he turned 21. We're both very attached to it and I can think of no better thing to do. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

You were obviously cool minded enough to shut off the fuel. Whether they right it off is usually a financial thing. Cost of repairs compared to the cost of writing it off ( and maybe something for the scrap) my mate Mick buys and sells cars he gets lots of silly right offs slight dent in a wing or a cracked bumper.

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear of your dice with death and impressed you had the presence of mind to turn off the fuel supply before baling out. Will the insurers replace your leathers, I wonder a personal injury claim for lacerations and burns would be far more expensive! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hells teeth Rob glad your ok laddo.

Look I know the bike had sentimental value but it's you whose the most important and so long as your okay that's the bees knees.

Glad to hear you saying about the leathers. Couldn't agree more. Used to work with a great bloke many many moons ago who was an ardent motorcyclist. He told me how he'd come off once and because he had his leathers on he was able to walk away from the bike.

Just thank the lucky stars that your able to hold the Memsahib tonight and aren't in the burns unit peeing through a tube.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Been a busy day here, so only just saw your posts. So sorry about the Beesa and glad to hear that you are keeping it, regardless of the insurance decision.

So glad that you are all in one piece and have a great companion at your side.

Stay safe, be sane, live long and remain happy.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm pleased to hear that you're ok Rob. Shame about the Beesa. I only hope you can find the bits to fix her up again. What model is she? 

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

I'm pleased to hear that you're ok Rob. Shame about the Beesa. I only hope you can find the bits to fix her up again. What model is she? 

Regards Lez.

I will be fixing the bike up regardless. The folks on the old motorcycle thread have filled me with cheer by pointing out that the insurance company might screw me over by saying that it was a mechanical or electrical failure and not covered because the bike isn't a total loss.

Well, that's something to look forward to! 

I've tried ringing their 24/7 claims line only for them to tell me to call back in office hours!

The bike is a 1949 BSA ZA7ST Star Twin to give it its full title. 

Nothing too special, only BSA's flagship sports bike, built only from 1948-50, fitted with twin carbs, high lift cam, big valves and a fast road gearbox. It's one of about thirty known survivors in the UK and one of only a handful with its original engine/ frame combination and all of the correct tuning parts.

Roll on Monday morning.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

Thanks to all of you for your support and concern, it's much appreciated.

I'll keep you all posted bored to death  with any progress on the insurance claim and hopefully I can go on recommend my insurers to you all. 

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

40 years ago I sometimes led cycle rides that included going up the valley to Devils Bridge at Kirkby Lonsdale (hot chocolate/ bacon bap stop). I carried a fairly comprehensive first-aid kit on these rides but, the only time I needed it, was for a once a year motorcyclist whose ability to race on those public roads exceeded his skill level. No leathers,  lot of flesh left on road.  Saw plenty of summer spills on the roads around Kirkby but all the rest had leathers and relatively OK - although usually the incident was down to the rider rather than the bike.   Glad you OK and impressed by speed of your instincts. and reaction. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit late to the party, but I'll echo everyone else's comments - so glad you're ok!

Hopefully the phone calls this morning weren't too traumatic as well...

A friend of mine from University is a doctor, and spent some of her time training in A&E - she saw some pretty horrific results from motorbike crashes...

• Thanks 1

Same here - glad you're okay Wolfie.

Ditto on the leathers - even in this weather...

Had an old mate who headbuted a pigeon at about 90 on his Ducatti SS, smashed the side of his helmet and there was some pretty impressive gravel rash on his fancy Italian leathers but he walked away from it. Duke, not so much, so hope yours is fixable as it looks like a slighly lower speed job!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Crikey, so much for a quiet ride out on the bike!  Glad you’re ok and shows the importance of wearing the right gear.  I was coming down the A470 yesterday on my Triumph (modern one I’m afraid🙂)  and was overtaken by a pillock wearing shorts and flip flops 🙄

I hope you get the BSA sorted, nice looking bike!

BW

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/06/2023 at 20:42, MrWolf said:

This is the remains of the battery, would you believe that it's still holding a charge and the horn and stop light still work!?!

IMG_20230611_141540.jpg.b5b3d3fa5ca60d66d3d640e33881e279.jpg

Was it the battery that ignited? Or a fuel leak on to hot exhaust? Fingers crossed for a favourable outcome from the insurance. 

Edit: Seen now on the old bike thread about it probably being the tank seam splitting. That was a lucky escape there.

Edited by 57xx
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Will the insurers replace your leathers, I wonder a personal injury claim for lacerations and burns would be far more expensive! 

That's usually a tick box and extra fee on the policy.

Fingers crossed for the insurance to play ball. Hope the damage it not too bad to either bike, rider or companion. I appreciate the trauma is not always the worse to the those directly involved.

CC7, with it's imminent arrival in the South West the decision has been made to paint representing a faded black. Now how to achieve this is further open to debate. Especially as I have just finished 4 signal Dept opens in full on grey!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

CC7, with it's imminent arrival in the South West the decision has been made to paint representing a faded black. Now how to achieve this is further open to debate. Especially as I have just finished 4 signal Dept opens in full on grey!

Posted at lunch time today, hopefully be with you tomorrow

With regards to colour I’ve tried to do a little research and taken from gwr.org.uk

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liverieswagongrey.html

“The experts are still arguing when, and even if, all-black became the livery for permanent way, loco coal, and engineering wagons, but the prevailing view is that such vehicles probably carried normal grey livery

that’s good enough for me!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

“The experts are still arguing when, and even if, all-black became the livery for permanent way, loco coal, and engineering wagons, but the prevailing view is that such vehicles probably carried normal grey livery

I was told most adamantly only last Tuesday evening that such service vehicles were never black in Great Western days.

• Like 4