Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Was it the Barron Knights whose version began:

"Is this my real wife? Is it just fat you see?"

Not sure, but unlike the original version, at least it's not been played to death.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, JustinDean said:

The main reason I joined RMWeb was for help and advice and I’m massively appreciative of everyone who has done that. 
Now I’m also here for the massive thread tangents. This place, and the hobby in general, are fantastic ways to escape the real world.

I couldn't agree more. I had hoped / do hope that my layout would benefit from similar input. But other priorities have had to be put first to make our new (old) house a home. Hopefully I'll be back on posting about progress on my layout in 2022.

In the interim I'll do my best to just make positive comments about the efforts of others and help out with info and bits where I can. I also enjoy the banter on here. 

@MrWolf, @chuffinghell @NHY 581 @Gedward and @KNP have been my 'go to' inspiration in 2021.

Despite my SR tendencies, these are nearly all GWR. So it doesn't matter what you model, does it ? It's what inspires you to be better  (Even if I make the odd comment about Pannier Tanks before getting my hat 'n' coat :jester:). 

As Rob says - KBO chaps. There are more on here that appreciate what you do and are willing to share than not. 

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm very flattered to be considered inspiring!

Don't tell anyone, but I'm also something of a fan of the L&SWR. Particularly Drummond locos. I also am a fan of the Southern Railway's modernization programme, in this house we are both interested in 30's concrete, anything from cinemas to the Atlantic wall, deco style stations are somewhere in the middle.

If only time money and modelling skills were infinite!

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

In the interim I'll do my best to just make positive comments about the efforts of others and help out with info and bits where I can. I also enjoy the banter on here. 

@MrWolf, @chuffinghell @NHY 581 @Gedward and @KNP have been my 'go to' inspiration in 2021.

Despite my SR tendencies, these are nearly all GWR. So it doesn't matter what you model, does it ? It's what inspires you to be better  (Even if I make the odd comment about Pannier Tanks before getting my hat 'n' coat :jester:). 

As Rob says - KBO chaps. There are more on here that appreciate what you do and are willing to share than not. 

John

Morning John, 

Thank you for including me in such esteemed company. The fact that you are inspired by my somewhat chaotic efforts,  such as they are, is lovely. 

Keep popping in and contributing. 

Rob. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fishplate said:

I couldn't agree more. I had hoped / do hope that my layout would benefit from similar input. But other priorities have had to be put first to make our new (old) house a home. Hopefully I'll be back on posting about progress on my layout in 2022.

John

Thanks for feeling my little (Muddle) effort of a contribution is deemed to be inspiring.

I will keep posting in the future and hopefully people will keep looking.

As for your SR tendencies, well I believe you can take tablets for that…they’re easy to recognise as they have GWR stamped on them!!!!!!

:jester:

• Like 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, richard i said:

Use loo paper to represent the sliding roof 

richard

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

That's an idea, I've used it welded to a thin sheet of plastikard with MEK to represent a felted or canvas roof once before.

In the past I have used masking tape for van roofs as well, this is a deliberately distressed example:

ladmanlow91.jpg.1cf0c87142197b953ae6219388489236.jpg

ladmanlow94.jpg.f3b51f46a3bacfe61db4545126b2eab8.jpg

Al.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

That's a good point, you don't want floral embossed rooves. 

Remember next time you go looting coffee stirrers, get napkins and toilet paper too.

If you have a classic car with the little Wilmot Breedon keys, they fit the locks on those big toilet roll holders...

I learned a lot as an impoverished student! 

Haven't done any more bodging today, been busy over on Warren Branch discussing spanners, shovels and sub machine guns.

And the memsahib wishes to go shopping...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

To be serious? the canvas part of the roof on the L&Y van is I believe a canvas part that would be rolled over, swiss roll fashion. In Ireland they were called convertibles used for anything from bagged grain to livestock. Maybe on the L&Y used for loading baled cotton ex ship or warehouse storage?

Single ply tissue works very well as a canvas roof.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

To be serious? the canvas part of the roof on the L&Y van is I believe a canvas part that would be rolled over, swiss roll fashion. In Ireland they were called convertibles used for anything from bagged grain to livestock. Maybe on the L&Y used for loading baled cotton ex ship or warehouse storage?

Single ply tissue works very well as a canvas roof.

That would make a change. 

I would think that you're right. Bagged or baled goods I imagine. In the photograph there is a bar across the canvas above the doors. From what I can see it engages with a pin on either end which must be how the sheet is secured or moved aside.

I think that I have some of the type of tissue found in shoe boxes stashed away. 

How long these vans lasted in their original form or under LMS ownership, I don't know, but it's something different.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's venturing into "destruction" rather than "deactivation". As I'm sure you're aware...:D

It’s a fine line.

Well, maybe not the furnace bit.

What do you call a sword with a blunted edge? A cudgel…

Edited by Regularity
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A truly inspirational picture of some point rodding.

As far as I'm concerned, it inspires the thought: why didn't we put the point rodding in before ballasting, on the club layout?

8 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

An excellent way of providing yourself with something  that no-one else will have... awaits postings of photos of numerous similar L&Y vans.

1100468280_LYD15andD3.JPG.13683023092ebadc029438c7d44341cf.JPG

Geen kit. Dodgy POWSides dry transfers - I should revisit. 

You will observe that the pistol mis-fired.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Given that I have moved to the area, and indeed overlook one of the major routes (the “Copy Pit” line is literally across the road the from me), I find those wagons very distracting, almost to the point of changing allegiance!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1