Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Sometimes it works first time, others, the keyboard keeps dropping out. 

Anyway, in finest Blue Peter tradition, here's one I made earlier.

IMG_20211110_165410.jpg.5bea926c910417e2dbf253fddbaa31d8.jpg

image lost.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

Thanks, I didn't want to go too mad with the weathering as the wagon would have only been a couple of years old at the time my layout is set.

The body is painted in Railmatch  LMS grey and the ironwork picked out with matt black that has a few drops of dark earth added. Over that is dry brushed frame dirt and a little rust. The inside is Humbrol 64 grey and natural wood, basically streaked and mixed together in the direction of the planks,

I have been busy painting bits of point rodding. Rusty roller frames, galvanised rods and patches of dried grease where the rods pass under the rollers from a 50/50 mix of matt black and oily steel.

IMG_20211110_235240.jpg.1c8fef60be21b41c1d7abbfd9c803452.jpg

image lost.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Anyway, in finest Blue Peter tradition, here's one I made earlier.

Nicely done. I'm afraid I have to offer my apologies and remind you that, per the earlier discussion, the LMS painted solebars body colour not black. "Below solebars everything was painted black but the solebar was painted the relevant body colour" (i.e. grey or bauxite) [R.J. Essery and K.R. Morgan, The LMS Wagon (David & Charles, 1977)].

• Informative/Useful 2

On 09/11/2021 at 22:38, MrWolf said:

one from the Southern.

Congratulations on the 100 pages Rob. It's been a fun ride so far. Looking forward to the next 100 and the big reveal on your Southern Wagon.

Presumably it is a rare and splendiferous beast compared to LMS and GWR diagrams produced in zillions . . . . ? :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2021 at 05:29, Compound2632 said:

Nicely done. I'm afraid I have to offer my apologies and remind you that, per the earlier discussion, the LMS painted solebars body colour not black. "Below solebars everything was painted black but the solebar was painted the relevant body colour" (i.e. grey or bauxite) [R.J. Essery and K.R. Morgan, The LMS Wagon (David & Charles, 1977)].

Well that's a relief, I'd asked the question because I had already painted this one with grey solebars, but the information contained within most kits is a little vague.

IMG_20211111_104020.jpg.17d4aea74aea57ce0caab6648716fe62.jpg

image lost.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Presumably it is a rare and splendiferous beast compared to LMS and GWR diagrams produced in zillions . . . . ? :rolleyes:

Definitely; and a particular favourite of mine. If I can find some suitable wheels amongst my junk, I will be tempted to move it up the queue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Well that's a relief, I'd asked the question because I had already painted this one with grey solebars, but the information contained within most kits is a little vague.

Apologies; the solebars had looked black in the previous photo, where they were barely visible and in shade. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Apologies; the solebars had looked black in the previous photo, where they were barely visible and in shade. 

No need to apologise, I'd asked the question earlier because it wasn't clear from the information I had. The solebars do look black in the first picture, hence the need to post the second.

• Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Nice one Rob …good to see you’ve attacked the box of doom while I’ve been away managing a media storm at work! I’m hoping to return to the world of scalpels and glue soon. It’s far less dangerous. 

Jay

Don't get me started on the media, 

Ah, the media, the people who tell us that we can have it all, then shame us for the environmental consequences. The people who trumpet that we are all equals then berate us for not celebrating diversity.

Bunch of self aggrandising, treasonous, patronising ####s.

I think that just about covers it. :D

• Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I do like outside framed vans. It's a pity that you can't get any of the GW or constituent companies OF vans in kit form anymore. I did at one time have a whitemetal kit for one, but as I've said before, they now fetch the price of an entry level Bentley on eBay. 

At least I struck lucky with the OF Toad, after years of threatening to scratch build one! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That's probably true, just because I get served silliness, I don't have to whack it back over the net, but where's the fun in that? :jester:

Besides, we must challenge the public perception that railway modellers are a bunch of pedantic nerds who take themselves far too seriously....

A bit of humour distracts Joe public from the fact that a tedious minority of them are, we can't re-educate them and it's against the law to shoot them....:scratchhead:

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I think it's fair to say that we take all our layouts seriously, in that we want them to look the part and work well. 

We all have our own  favourite subjects  and will research them to make sure we get things right. We inevitably gain much in the way of knowledge as a result. But..........personally I have a limit on how far I go and I try to avoid regurgitating it........ unless 'provoked' of course. 

I now know that I care more about the overall 'look' and getting things done as opposed to meticulously establishing the correct type of nails used in June 1903........life's far  too short in my opinion. Let's leave that to the nerds and studiously avoid them where at all possible. Choose to play trains or build layouts instead. But above all,  let's not forget that we are supposedly using this hobby to relax with. So the fact we can have a chuckle whilst doing it is equally as important and a rather nice side effect of it all. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Chimps
  • Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Very true, we are mostly a group of total strangers brought together by a common interest. Not one of us can know everything and the benefits of sharing information and experiences needs no explanation.

We're also human beings that are bound to find other common ground and bringing that into the threads prevents them turning into dry factual statements. 

I actually enjoy the meanderings on these threads where one person's thoughts trigger someone else's.

It's irrefutable proof that we actually do have a life! :D

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

34 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

…meticulously establishing the correct type of nails used in June 1903…

I’m fairly certain my “oh s***, the points and goods siding should have four bolt chairs and I’ve just laid three bolt ones, I’ll have to start again” moment falls into this category: am I going to have to don a cardigan, stand with my hands on hips and start every sentence with a nasal “Nnyerrsssss…” when I go to railway exhibitions?

• Friendly/supportive 3

Midland Railway 12 ton van to D664. This is one of the more recent Cambrian kits with wheels, bearings and the floor / solebars / W irons moulded in one piece.

IMG_20211111_190503.jpg.83c1f3191c39f8cd49263001b770bc09.jpg

image lost.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 9

16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Midland Railway 12 ton van to D664. This is one of the more recent Cambrian kits with wheels, bearings and the floor / solebars / W irons moulded in one piece.

IMG_20211111_190503.jpg.83c1f3191c39f8cd49263001b770bc09.jpg

Can we have a shot of the end please Rob? That’s looking close to what I’d tagged as an LMS van in some of my prototype photos…

On 11/11/2021 at 21:19, Tortuga said:

Can we have a shot of the end please Rob? That’s looking close to what I’d tagged as an LMS van in some of my prototype photos…

Cruel close up.

IMG_20211111_213007.jpg.b3b0c9de02b645cc83b6ee355b750300.jpg

image lost.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

I think it's fair to say that we take all our layouts seriously, in that we want them to look the part and work well. 

We all have our own  favourite subjects  and will research them to make sure we get things right. We inevitably gain much in the way of knowledge as a result. But..........personally I have a limit on how far I go and I try to avoid regurgitating it........ unless 'provoked' of course. 

I now know that I care more about the overall 'look' and getting things done as opposed to meticulously establishing the correct type of nails used in June 1903........life's far  too short in my opinion. Let's leave that to the nerds and studiously avoid them where at all possible. Choose to play trains or build layouts instead. But above all,  let's not forget that we are supposedly using this hobby to relax with. So the fact we can have a chuckle whilst doing it is equally as important and a rather nice side effect of it all. 

Rob. 

This is the strapline of one of our local hobby shops.

image.png.b8398e5dea012a0884040901e9e2537f.png

Usual disclaimer.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3