Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

This kit has its plus and minus points.

+ The one piece chassis saves a bit of work and is handy for getting the wheels sitting squarely on the track.

- The headstock ends of the floor and solebars are rather vague and wobbly. Sanding them square is a PITA.

+ The wheels and bearings (where supplied) are very good.

- The instructions are rather vague and no exploded diagrams to show how joints are meant to go together.

+ They are often of prototypes not available elsewhere.

+ The body details are pretty good

- There's often flash in awkward spots.

- The combined bevel and rebate corner joints are over engineered, don't go together well and are difficult to disguise with filler due to the proximity of the river details.

A simple bevel joint would be much cleaner and more accurate.

+ The plastic welds together very nicely.

- The plastic doesn't create sharp edges very well.

- The roof moulding tends to be of inconsistent thickness across the curve.

+ There's a decent length of scale wire provided to make handrails / door pulls.

- The plastic buffers are simply awful.

+ There's no problem substituting Slater's style buffers. Hopefully Cambrian might switch to that method.

+ The much maligned GWR 6 ton crane is a better animal all around, with the exception of the instructions, the detail photos are virtually illegible.

Edited by MrWolf
Neighbors have tinfoil hat internet booster.
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Cruel close up.

IMG_20211111_213007.jpg.b3b0c9de02b645cc83b6ee355b750300.jpg

Yep. Looks like one of these is going to have to go on the stock book for Alsop as well as the Medfit.

Cheers Rob; another mystery wagon gain a (probable) diagram to identify it!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I now know that I care more about the overall 'look' and getting things done as opposed to meticulously establishing the correct type of nails used in June 1903........life's far  too short in my opinion. Let's leave that to the nerds and studiously avoid them where at all possible. Choose to play trains or build layouts instead.

Well now, there’s the difference between you and me. 

I probably belong to the group of people you call a “nerd”, but I don’t go around

bandying insults at people who have different interpretations of the real railway in their models, nor tell them that they are wrong because a rivet is missing (unless they ask about the overall pattern of rivets). In short, I enjoy my hobby my way, have fun, and have no issue with how others enjoy it - and have always said, “I am off to play trains,” whether that be building or running. In short, I don’t take myself seriously.

But above all,  let's not forget that we are supposedly using this hobby to relax with. So the fact we can have a chuckle whilst doing it is equally as important and a rather nice side effect of it all. 

On the other hand, I do prefer to have little to do with people who look down on others for not sharing with their personal discriminations about how we must enjoy ourselves whilst hiding behind a facade of openness and tolerance .

• Like 4

When you look at the bigger picture, Mr average tends to dismiss anyone not obsessed with mainstream interests such as football, television, street fashion (bling) and generally vying with his neighbours as a nerd.

I can quote chapter and verse about art, history, vintage motorcycles and cars, militaria etc. Miss R can talk about science, music or vintage high fashion until your ears bleed.

But, importantly, we don't ever turn a conversation on any subject into a pi55ing contest in an attempt to prove ourselves superior to others.

Unfortunately, we've both been on the receiving end of such people, who eventually get nasty and either try to trip you up or make you out a liar.

Unfortunately, those people stick in the mind and it is they who get fringe interests a bad name.

It also messes with people's perspective when you don't look and act like a stereotypical nerd. That really unsettles them.

Fortunately, they're a tiny minority, but everyone has met one.

On the flip side, I have always believed that every day is a school day. Not believing that can be fatal.

On here I have encountered so many knowledgeable people who are willing to offer to share their knowledge and that has been a huge help. 

Again, the self appointed experts don't share, unless they can somehow score points. True enthusiasts do it to keep what interests them alive.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 6

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Yep. Looks like one of these is going to have to go on the stock book for Alsop as well as the Medfit.

Cheers Rob; another mystery wagon gain a (probable) diagram to identify it!

The kit is Cambrian C84 or C84W with wheels.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

But, importantly, we don't ever turn a conversation on any subject into a pi55ing contest in an attempt to prove ourselves superior to others.

Exactly. I have little or no time for those that take this upon themselves to do. 

It also messes with people's perspective when you don't look and act like a stereotypical nerd. 

On the flip side, I have always believed that every day is a school day. Not believing that can be fatal.

I try my best. 

As for learning new stuff, bring it on. Case in point:

Now modelling ex GER territory populated by green diseasels. Well out of my comfort zone. Both of these subjects I know very little about. Much research going on but as I said earlier, so long as the 'look' is right, I am happy with that.  I know what I am seeking to achieve. 

On here I have encountered so many knowledgeable people who are willing to offer to share their knowledge and that has been a huge help. 

And that is why I joined the forum in the first place. One thing I know is that I don't know it all and won't ever.  My next layout will require me to tap into others far superior knowledge on a number of subjects. Rest assured, I shall be posing many questions. 

Again, the self appointed experts don't share, unless they can somehow score points. 

Sadly, all too often we see that on here and in many cases their 'observations' are not backed up by examples of their 'correctly' modelled examples although perhaps the armchair's seemingly well worn...........

Rob. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Unfortunately, we've both been on the receiving end of such people, who eventually get nasty and either try to trip you up or make you out a liar.

It can be funny, though.

When I first exhibited my first (and so far, only to reach that stage) layout, I was initially pleased when someone actually noticed that I had gone to the effort of modelling interlaced sleepers instead of through timbers on my turnouts. Unfortunately, although he was aware that the North British Railway did this, he wouldn't accept that all the Scottish and many of the English (possibly, some of the Welsh, but I don't know enough about them) also did this, and he wouldn't accept that the layout wasn't NBR. (I pointed out that it was actually of NBJR origin - Northampton and Banbury Junction Railway). I would say that I was a "happy nerd" at that point, but he was closed minded enough to reject the simple advice to study some photos if he didn't believe me.

At the Leamington show in 2003, I ran my EWJR 2-4-0T and 0-6-0 locos, with some wagons, on East Lynn (although highly improbable, the 2-4-0T could at least run with the GER stock as both used the Westinghouse air brake and they were contemporaneous with the timescale for the layout). One viewer noticed the etched "E&W" plates on the locos, and congratulated me on modelling the East and West Yorkshire Union Railway, and was incapable of being corrected: "You are making that up! It didn't exist! Neither did this SMJR you say it became!" (To be honest, the prototype was such an improbable line that if it hadn't existed, and I had made it up, no one would have found it credible.) This was offset by a couple of people recognising the locos for what they represented: that was really nice. This has stuck in my mind because the EWJR/SMJR served parts of southern Warwickshire, which were just down the road from Leamington...

As for "armchairs": there is no requirement for someone enjoying the hobby to make anything, just as there is no requirement to have been in a rock group or pop band to enjoy music, or to study it and know what a chord is. If someone has the information, and hs shared it, then I simply take the viewpoint that they are a historian who likes to see accurate models, and I am happy to learn from them. They don't have to produce a "'correctly' modelled example" to know if something is correct or not: that's a tu quoque fallacy. At least, I think it's that one. It's some kind of fallacy, or maybe just intolerance? 

Of course, if they don't share this information and simply sat on it until they got a chance to belittle someone else's efforts, then I am happy to point out to them that if only I had known, I could have done it properly and wouldn't have to rebuild the model, so if they could kindly share their verifiable sources, I will make the necessary efforts to get it right next time, or even correct the error, but it's a shame that the information wasn't made available. Lack of verifiable written or better still photographic evidence means I can respond with, "Oh, so your opinion is just based on hearsay." Lack of willingness to share means responding with a polite request for them to go away and be selfish on their own, although they have usually disappeared by this point... 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Again, the self appointed experts don't share, unless they can somehow score points. True enthusiasts do it to keep what interests them alive.

For me, half the point of gaining the knowledge is to be able to share it - I'm finding that I really enjoy the research side of things, so there have been a few occasions where questions have been asked that lie on the pheriphery of my knowledge, and I've found it a good excuse to go and research something to expand that area, and hopefully help the asker in the process. 

It's also about both giving and receiving - I've learnt a huge amount about modelling techniques from many on here, and so I hope that I've been able to return that favour by helping out with prototype knowledge. Sometimes I think it's good just to have other people to act as a 'sounding board' too - even just typing or drawing out a plan can sometimes make me realised 'oh, hang on, that won't work/look right'. 

It's important to be careful about words too - emotion and espression don't come across well in text, so it's easy for something to be meant in a helpful way, but to come across as a "I think you'll find..." - I hope I never come across like that - If I do it's certainly not intended!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

Fortunately, the people who I have encountered on here are more than willing to share their knowledge on any number of railway matters, both model and prototype, without any underlying condescension.

As a result, I'm far more confident of producing not only a reliable, but believable work of fiction.

If it falls down on the constructional or artistic fronts, that's purely down to my execution or lack of experience.

If it's "wrong" on any other count, it's on you lot! :D

I also would like to point out that the manner in which the advice has been given, I don't feel like this is a layout designed and built by a committee. 

It's still what I set out to do, but better. It's also come along far quicker.

It's not just model railways where you get strange interactions over facts, misunderstood information and a downright refusal to accept that what you have already been told might be wrong in the light of new information.

Only this week I spotted a BSA motorcycle engine on eBay which the seller claimed was a rare "long stroke" engine. It wasn't, but rather than put on my best anorak, I sent a message expressing interest in buying it for another project and could he give me the first two letters and numbers of the serial number, so I could find out exactly what it was I would be bidding for?

What I got in return was a lengthy defence of the (incorrect) identification of the engine. He had bought it as part of a "Special" (or bitsa as we call them!) and the vendor was a well known collector (THAT word!!) and dealer who had over a hundred bikes (probably never rides any of them) and he had given him a choice of engines, this being a rare long stroke 650 with more power for touring.

So he should know.

But if I could supply any further information, he would be most grateful.

So I sent him the information contained within the factory produced parts and service manuals issued to approved dealers agents.

The engine he had was manufactured during 1956 and was 646cc. It has a stroke common to ALL of the 650cc engines built between day one in 1950 and the switch to a new design of unit construction engine in 1962.

Technically, they are all long stroke engines, having a bore smaller than the stroke.

But, the engine which the only one designated as long stroke by the factory and enthusiasts alike was a 500cc engine made between 1947 and 1950, on which only a few parts are interchangeable with the 650 or it's 500cc replacement that did use common parts with the 650 to keep things simpler and cheaper all round.

I did point out that his titling the engine as the rare long stroke model would quite likely discourage a lot of potential bidders as most of the bikes with the long stroke engines were exported and there are very few left, whereas the engine he had was in far more demand.

Did he even bother to reply?

I think you all know the answer to that.

It sold anyway and given that it was rebuilt, running and complete with magneto, dynamo, carburettor, oil tank and all the fittings to put it straight into the correct frame, my off the cuff calculation was that he's done himself out of about £4-500.

Oops.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Did he even bother to reply?

That happened a while back on her: a very friendly member of the forum provided information to another, who didn’t even say thanks. The friendly member was so disgusted, he left for a while and several people missed him.

Thankfully, he returned a while ago.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Regularity said:

That happened a while back on her: a very friendly member of the forum provided information to another, who didn’t even say thanks. The friendly member was so disgusted, he left for a while and several people missed him.

If you or anyone else has ever offered me advice/help and I had failed to show my appreciation please accept my apologies

I say this because I get that much help and advice on here that I sometimes can’t keep up so may inadvertently fail to say thank you

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

46 minutes ago, Regularity said:

24 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

If you or anyone else has ever offered me advice/help and I had failed to show my appreciation please accept my apologies

I say this because I get that much help and advice on here that I sometimes can’t keep up so may inadvertently fail to say thank you

I'd like to echo that response, I too have had so much good advice on here that I sometimes get sidetracked with the next thing to be posted and then forget to backtrack.

So if I have failed to acknowledge and thank anyone who has contributed I too offer my sincere apologies.

Today has been fairly typical, chauffeur duty (station parking non existent) followed by chasing up suppliers, posting out spare parts, fitting the rebuilt top end to a 650 BSA, organising the collection of another engine, roughing out another painting, more chauffeuring duty, etc etc. But I have managed to assemble another wagon whilst dinner was cooking.

Plus post  a little on here!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

The example I was thinking of was where help was actively sought, provided via PM after quite a bit of effort and no thanks even in response to that, let alone in thread.

• Friendly/supportive 7

35 minutes ago, Regularity said:

The example I was thinking of was where help was actively sought, provided via PM after quite a bit of effort and no thanks even in response to that, let alone in thread.

Well that's pretty damn discourteous if I may say so.

I know that there's nothing like that in my inbox!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

The main reason I joined RMWeb was for help and advice and I’m massively appreciative of everyone who has done that. 
Now I’m also here for the massive thread tangents. This place, and the hobby in general, are fantastic ways to escape the real world.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

The main reason I joined RMWeb was for help and advice and I’m massively appreciative of everyone who has done that. 
Now I’m also here for the massive thread tangents. This place, and the hobby in general, are fantastic ways to escape the real world.

You mean this isn't reality?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

These two will be in bauxite to take advantage of the surplus transfers in the more recent kits and provide a break from predominantly grey wagons.

IMG_20211112_173220.jpg.57d896ed45c0ac2061bd5cb39c018e15.jpg

They're the last of the LMS 3 plank dropsides in the box of doom. 

image lost.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Graham T said:

Is it just fantasy?

4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Caught in a landside!

Was it the Barron Knights whose version began:

"Is this my real wife? Is it just fat you see?"

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Funny 7